Photo

cpufreq stop responding !?

Best Answer othmay, 04 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

O bro I am in love with life I found a solution I went on this website after hips of forum http://www.pantz.org...reqonlinux.html, and there I found this command to load generic module "sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq" and now it works. to be honest it is curiosity and pure luck but dude I am happy ^^. hope you will be able to explain it to me ^^ but anyway it works. And it made me realize I have to get my nose deep in linux from now on to understand my stuff more. Thanks again.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 othmay

othmay

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

hi all

I am back with an issue ^^. So I am on the 64 bit version and no change to kernel without apt-get update... The thing is I use the cpufreq quite a lot to try to follow how my comp respond to things and today I don't know why the cpufreq module does not respond. I can put it in maximum freq for example but nothing change and when going for manual same it is like it gets what I want to do since maximum speed is checked but stay on the lowest frequency as for manual it does not even check the change.

The thing is I am absolutly sure I did not mess around but still as for now I am getting unsure, since I get this issue. Which btw is not the first time I get it but last time made me reinstall the distro I was messing around too much for my knowledge I guess. But for now I have no clue on what I did.

I actually tried and update after the issue appears (I know, why?... but who knows, it might have work) and so I am here with a new post :D.

Tell me what I could if I can specify something more.

Thanks in advance :),

Othmay.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1517 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

Hmm, the only thing which comes on my mind is this:

1. unload the cpufreq module

2. open terminology and type this: rm .e/e/config/bodhi/module.cpufreq*

3. load the module back

Not sure if could help but give it a go...

Stefan

#3 othmay

othmay

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for the quick answer, unfortunately it does not work. But since I went there (.e/e/config) I saw that I have 10 files of each cfg even the profile.cfg in .e/e/ is it normal.

I guess it is but simple curiosity ?

edit : while watching movies I don't know if it related but I see my freq not even mooving (but since cpufreq does not respond it might simply be that the module does not work), and so I have lags which does not happens normaly with movies ?? It seems that the freq is somewhat lock on minimal.

#4 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1517 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hard to say what had happened. I was also in trouble with cpufreq module but in the different way. I couldn't see the tacho arrow, although the value was right. I solved it with some grub boot sequence.

Your problem is different. It looks you are locked at the minimal value. This happens here automatically in case I am running on battery and it is close to empty. But when I manually change the value, it is possible. Hmm, at this point I am not sure I know your culprit. Sorry...I believe another user will respond.

PS: more conf files in profile folder is OK. It is a module policy...

PS2: I believe you have tried purge and reinstalling module. 

#5 othmay

othmay

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

No worries, you tried and I thank you for that.

Just in case, is changing kernel a hypothetic solution or not at all ? I saw somewhere (on one of your post actually) that going back to older kernel could be the solution for freq control issue.

#6 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1517 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:49 PM

Could be a solution, yes. But in your case you told it was working without kernel changing and then it stopped. This info is confusing for me...

Try to reinstall module first as I said above.

#7 othmay

othmay

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

I tried your solution and I am giving it a go again right now, and in fact it was working flawlessly but I do not know what happened.

edit : but hey thank you again I appreciate it ;), I am still new to linux 3/4 years and still amazed by the community even more on bodhi.

#8 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1517 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

I reinstalled Bodhi "thousand" times at my beginning to achieve more experience. I made many mistakes and sometimes I was not able to say what I did bad. If we won't solve your issue (I hope we will), you can backup your data and install Bodhi again. It is a matter of 10 minutes of your life. But...I must confess I am not happy with what I am saying, I'd like to know what was wrong ;)

#9 othmay

othmay

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

O man your message made me laugh. I always have my usb key close to my computer. I already know this "technique" but as you said I would like to get on this one ^^. I already had this issue but I would like to get over it this time. But seriously you made me laugh hard time and do not worries already got my backups ^^.

#10 othmay

othmay

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:41 PM   Best Answer

O bro I am in love with life I found a solution I went on this website after hips of forum http://www.pantz.org...reqonlinux.html, and there I found this command to load generic module "sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq" and now it works. to be honest it is curiosity and pure luck but dude I am happy ^^. hope you will be able to explain it to me ^^ but anyway it works. And it made me realize I have to get my nose deep in linux from now on to understand my stuff more. Thanks again.

#11 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hmm, glad you found a way out. 

I've noticed you are talking about the module cpufreq that comes with a default install. There does exist another module: moksha-cpu (in the repos) that has a similar / the same function and that one works. Maybe @The waiter was talking about the second version.

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#12 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1517 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Yea, I did not realize cpufreq is a part of Moksha, thus not possible a simple reinstallation...Anyway, I am glad you have solved it. Good to know your solution for other users...

#13 othmay

othmay

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

o true that, I went on synaptic there is actually a moksha-cpu but it is installed by default (on my system at least) since I did not know his existence but here it is already installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users