install grub choice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 qycurius

qycurius

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

Hi there, I was so impressed when I ran the live CD that I decided to install it, found a partition that was clean (sda7). I initiated the installer, all was good until it was time to decide where to install it, the installer gave me NO option to install it on sda7 the partition I had chosen. So undaunted I installed the file system (from the squashfs) on sda7 and put the vmlinuz and initrd in grub, booted it and I get the login prompt all very good, But now to login without a user account installed and Not knowing the root passwd, What I am thinking is, if I get the password string from passwd and shadow of an os that I know the passwd, and past it in the bodhi ones. Any other suggestions?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4425 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Welcome to the forums.

the installer gave me NO option to install it on sda7 the partition I had chosen.

That is very unusual. Bodhi uses the default Ubuntu installer that offers several options for installation. The option you were looking for is called "Something Else". Choosing this will open a dialog window where you can select a drive and one or more partitions. On a system with large disks/many partitions/more OS's that stage will take some time to initiate though. 

The Live-CD has a username bodhi with an empty password, but I doubt that will help in your case.

Enjoy,

Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

The installer will let you pick the partition; at least try the "something else" that Charles described, instead of that paste proposal of yours. The installer will also let you set up the root password, if I remember correctly.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

My suggestion is, do a clean reinstall assuming that there are no partitions with data that require backing up. Use the entire hard drive instead. Start afresh.

Son. Student. Citizen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users