• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sherab

sherab

Sherab

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

I am very new user and played with the gadgets and modules, and now or maybe even before, Midori keeps crashing. Every two or three minutes while using it crashes. It no longer appears on the shelf? Task bar in windows and i have to start it from the menu. There is one error log, but it says there was no error message.  

Error Signal Information:
midori  was interrupted by a Segmentation Fault.
Output Data:
There was no output
Error Logs:
There was no error message

this is a machine i built with a gigabyte ga f2a88 xm d3hp mother board and an SSD 120 gb - I dont know how to bring up the infor on bodhi linux to tell you more right now. ^.^)) This is also the first machine i built by myself with all new parts. 

I love Bodhi linux and want to learn to use it so i can recommend it to my customers that don't like windows 10 ^.^))  
I actually started to become a member and it crashed in the middle of doing that. It doens't seem to happen at a certain time or when i click on something specific.

What can i do to make Midori happy again?

~Roadplug ^.^))

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 196 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

I also suffer from occasional crashes with Midori, though not as often as every two or three minutes. It's one reason why I prefer Firefox, which is rock solid.

#3 sherab

sherab

Sherab

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:52 PM

I didn't know i could use firefox on bodhi linux - Its what i use on everything else - I will figure out how to get that ^.^)) Thanks very much for commenting!

I would like to use Midori too, as it is the one that comes with Bodhi, but until i learn more about this I might not be able to. 

#4 sherab

sherab

Sherab

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

i am installing firefox now. There are other odd things going on. If i have to reinstall is there a way to do it without having to mess with partitions and chancing the destruction of other operating systems?

#5 sherab

sherab

Sherab

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

i installed firefox okay,i think but didn't try to use it before i installed libreoffice. and it froze up. i had to reboot. i guess i need to reinstall the os but i'll keep playing with it til it dies completely ^.^))

#6 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:38 AM

Something to consider if you have issues with a GUI program in the future. Just start it from the command line. Open Terminology (Start > Applications > System Tools > Terminology or Windows Key + Spacebar and type terminology) and then probably something like type midori and hit enter. Leave the command prompt open while you use midori to see what kinds of errors appear if/when it crashes. As bodhi is based on Ubuntu, you should be able to attempt to find answers by searching for your problem and instead of bodhi, if nothing appears with that search, look for ubuntu in connection with your problem.

The command prompt also offers TAB autocomplete so, you can type mid and then hit TAB and if there is only one option the word/command will autocomplete. If nothing appears from a single TAB, you will need to hit it twice in rapid succession to know if there are multiple or zero possible completions for your command. To experience this, you could simply type m and then hit TAB TAB, you will get a whole list of commands that start with m. Also, the command line interface is case sensitive, so, m and M are two different characters. If you wanted to see what possible commands there are, you could always type cat /usr/bin > binaries.txt and then open the text file with your preferred document viewer. :)

I could go on and on, but, this should be more than enough to keep you entertained for a few hours. :D

#7 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 176 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Was this a completely new build? 

If so, you may want to run some memory tests and burn-in/benchmarks to see if everything (hardware) is solid.  I used to build professionally - sometimes you get lemon parts that will spit out random errors/freezes/crashes/etc - best to catch those early and get items RMA'd before it is too late!  Make sure everything is seated properly, etc.

Searching online should show you some bootable utilities to play on in a live environment.  Otherwise, trying to re-install after a MD5 checksum your install media may not be a bad idea.  Be sure to use a quality thumb drive/flash drive to install from as well, as cheapo media can cause issues sometimes.

Welcome to the Forums!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#8 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

Midori is designed with crashing as an unspoken objective. It is in version 0.5.11 after all i.e. it is not even complete as a browser. Still, it is one of the several open source products that do Webkit justice, I like Webkit very much but I never figured out the environment. Besides, Midori and the Duckduckgo browser is one way in which these non profiteering start ups like Bodhi Linux monetise. Assuming you have installed Firefox which also comes with Ubuntu, you probably notice that it is missing some support of certain video formats. I have no comments about Windows 10 at this juncture since like Bodhi Linux, lots of folks on Windows 10 actually got it as a free upgrade.

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users