Photo

Fun with another OS...oh wait, not really...

Windoz Frustration Rampant Cache inefficient Viruses Resource Hog

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 165 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

So this past weekend I had the (dis)pleasure of working on my parent's computer that is running another OS...we here at Bodhi do not distro/OS bash so I will not name said OS...

~*cough cough windoz 8.1*~...

...needless to say, this poor PC, though poor browsing habits had picked up a virus...well, 10 of them.  Through some work, I was able to find out what had been blocking their anti-virus, remove their present firewall/anti-v, update with fresh, attack said viruses and remove them.  I was able to clean out their browsers and start fresh as well.

(Some background...my father is not very good with a keyboard and mouse, so he uses the "features" of his OS to use the touchscreen on this machine.) 

So while re-running the new anti-virus after completing my work, I happened to notice that the virus scan was taking HOURS on this one random folder...in back-tracing, it was some sort of cache for a MSN News app... this "cache" folder had 265,000+ FILES in it an occupied a space of roughly 52 GIGS!   This is a relatively new machine (two to three years) running an i3, etc...

In searching online, this is a known bug that a certain company doesn't want to take care of (surprise!!!).  I promptly removed the offending app to find that the cache stopped collecting files (again, surprise, oh wait, not really...).  My father, however, was not happy using the MSN browser based news page and requested that I add the app back to his system. 

In just one day, the app had cached 650+ files at hundreds of megabytes. 

I really can't believe that is even remotely ok!  Over time, this app will eventually fill my parent's hard drive until the machine is rendered useless (until my next visit).  Searching online doesn't seem to offer a solution or workaround...people with this OS and App just have to deal with it.

How unfortunate. 

I am certainly glad that Bodhi doesn't cache files and try to hide them buried deep within the OS...or cache them to the extent that this folder was, as it is many times the size of my OS.  Just really sad.  I wish I could convert my parents, but they are really afraid of change. 

Anyway, three cheers for Bodhi!   I honestly have not been that frustrated with a PC since I dropped the mainstream OS many years ago...good reaffirmation of why I did and never looked back.

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

oblio man I feel your pain. Here is something you may want to try. This is the lounge, so feel free to dismiss this or try it out. You may have seen an ad on craigslist, an unbelievable deal on a computer or laptop, even. Your sig shows you know what a good computer should have. Or what a computer for your father should be.

Get one of those deals (70 bucks for a ...??) You decide what your budget should be. But don't consider it as an expense; look at it as an investment NO MORE CALLS FOR FAMILY TECH SUPPORT

Put Bodhi on it. If it has touch screen, even better; but don't insist on it. THE ONE THING it won't have is some virus from MSN, filling up the cache. Make sure it runs firefox or whatever you think is a safer bet. Then tape a sheet of paper over it, which says DO NOT TOUCH or FOR SERVICE USE ONLY--it is meant for a technician whom you will call when that day comes. Power it off, then leave it covered in their house.

Or you can put 16.04 Ubuntu studio on it. That way, you have something new, in case you want to have it. Or just load Bodhi with everything else. INMNSHO, a win-win.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is a slight improvement on the idea above. A gift card can be taped on the sheet of paper, like a Chili's or Friday's or the Lobster Place or something similar.

So if that cache got filled to overflow, or another virus has hit, the conversation could be something like this:

"You see that sheet of paper, says 'for service use only', has a card for my dinner? Take that sheet out, and turn on the PC/laptop."

You get to write the rest of this story :) I am hoping it has a happy ending!

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

I wonder if you couldn't write a batch file that would blow away the offending files once a month, or, if there isn't an application that will do that for you.

#4 Aussie

Aussie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

I wonder if you couldn't write a batch file that would blow away the offending files once a month, or, if there isn't an application that will do that for you.

My first thoughts too, and to do it on boot. Or maybe even set the browser to clear its cache on exit.

Have never used the app myself, but there must be a way to outsmart it.

#5 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

Thank you, Everyone - I am not sure there is much to do with windows customer scripts...I'm thinking maybe something could be made for power-shell...donno.  The problem with the app is it doesn't appear to have settings.  I initially thought about write protecting the folder, but suspect that would "break" the app...

If I wanted to get crafty I'm suspecting I could edit the registry...be meh...I have remote access to the system and will just nuke this cache here and there.

I completely agree that finding a cheap used laptop is a decent option...I may have to look around.  I have shoe boxes full of HDDs from the years and could scrap the used drive and pop in a nice, clean drive that I ran killdisk on for a period of time...  Not  a bad plan.  And honestly, the learning curve to move to Linux would be about the same as my dad learning to use a PC vs an electric typewriter.  He does use Firefox and all....

Family tech support is so fun...can't tell you how many wireless printers and networks I have setup...viruses I have removed, etc.  Hey wait, isn't there a reason I used to build systems for family and friends and don't anymore?! :D :P

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#6 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

My 70+ year old mom has been on bodhi for a few years now. Yes, I still have to do tech support from time to time, but, it is usually more of help me scan this or send this email with an attachment. She got put on bodhi in part because the computer she was given had win2k on it and I didn't feel like putting a pirated version of something newer on it. Not to mention that system wouldn't have done well with higher system requirements. Sadly, her current system isn't much better 2GB of RAM just isn't enough to make it run smooth.

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

and what does it make this 63+ years old man - your father????    oh man - make me feell even older than i am....

you da man birdmun.

:-))))))

#8 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4355 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

and what does it make this 63+ years old man - your father????    oh man - make me feell even older than i am....

Youngster !  :lol:

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#9 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

i wish.

#10 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 182 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

And what does it make this 78 years old man? Your grandfather?

#11 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

older brother????

#12 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

Well, it's no solution to the MSN app problem, but my preference today for setting up an unreliable user (for lack of a better term) with a PC would a be Chromebook. Closest thing to a bulletproof computer I know.  And at the risk of being heretical  :)  I don't mean a Chromebook with Bodhi; just a Chromebook.

#13 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

I won't get into the age thing...other than you all are awesome and I love the comments traded back and forth...shots fired!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users