Photo

What browser is there in the "Standard" version?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

...ie NON app-pack? Is there only Midori or Chromium or Firefox as well? Which version? And is Geany included?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4523 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

Best way to find out is downloading the ISO and running it as a live-CD/USB.

But I will answer your questions: Midori is the (only) default browser. It is prepared to work well with the Bodhi AppCenter. Here you can find a selection of good/most wanted applications. The default text editor is Epad, but Geany is available in the AppCenter.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,

Charles

#3 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • Location26.13069N,97.63676W

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

In the basic install medium there is only Midori. While it is possible to "make do" with Midori, its primary purpose is to allow access to the AppCenter. Speaking for myself, I like to install Firefox right from the start, along with WPS and Evince.

Bob Rashkin

#4 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

Ok thanks, both Charles n Bob. Actually, I downloaded the Standard version before I read your replies - which, probably, is a good thing cause I'm sure the AppPack one has Chromium as the browser, and I want Firefox, NOT that!

OK, here's my situation, so listen up: I want to put this "Standard" ISO on a pendrive and use it from there - ie. WITHOUT INSTALLING!! That's how I've been using 3.something for months now, and since I've now downloaded 4, well - why not?

Lemme make it clear - I DON'T HAVE A HARD DRIVE!! And I don't really intend to get one for the moment.

So - what I want to do is, put this ISO on a USB, like I said, and THEN add Firefox to it! How do I do that? ie. have it be persistent? I would also like to save browser history, and also my dongle needs some fiddling to get me online, I'd like it to remember that obviously, uptil now, I've been doing the "fiddling" every time I boot!! - Bloody Annoying, I think you'll agree!

So - what do I have to do before I start dd'ing? :) I have access to a 3.1.something AppPack INSTALLED pendrive (I have 2 pendrives), so I *do* have a Linux system. What next? (Phew! I think that's everything!.... :) -  no hang on, actually I'd like Geany too! (like I said up there.) )

#5 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

Not having a hard drive is not a showstopper. I was using bodhi as a live medium, but I was informed that although it can be used as such, it is simply too minimalistic. There are plenty of other distros that can work live.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#6 Tristam

Tristam

Distro Whipping Boy

• Administrators
  • 258 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:18 AM

This might be helpful...since Bodhi is Ubuntu based, this will probably apply:

https://wiki.ubuntu....drivePersistent

Some days you're the pigeon, some days the statue

#7 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:10 AM

This might be helpful...since Bodhi is Ubuntu based, this will probably apply:

https://wiki.ubuntu....drivePersistent

Agree. The link on this page includes one about pendrivelinux. Yumi worked fairly well in supporting persistency since Bodhi 2ish iirc: https://www.pendrive...oot-usb-creator used to run Bodhi Linux refurbishing Acer laptops that had some parts broken here or there, just ensure that you make available some space as shown below:

YUMI-Multiboot-USB-Creator.png

Son. Student. Citizen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users