• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

Hi, I am new to Bodhi Linux.

I am trying to install some applications that are not in the App Center. For example, I need digiKam, RawTherapee, EFRaw etc.

What would be the way to get them? I tried to install ppa repositories the same way as I would do in Ubuntu but it did not work.

Would someone please help?

Thank you,

Val

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

Use the command line... open Terminology ( Bodhi menu -> Applications -> System Tools ) and type after the $

$ sudo apt-get install rawtherapee

Enter your account password and the package will be installed.

But you have the know the exact name of the ubuntu package.

You can install and use synaptic to search for the packages you need.

$ sudo apt-get install synaptic

You will find Synaptic in the menu -> Applications -> Preferences

Work netbook: Lenovo 110s Ideapad running Bodhi 4.3.1 64bit

Web server: HP Compaq Server running Bodhi 4.3.1 Legacy

#3 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:50 AM

Hi, I am new to Bodhi Linux.

I am trying to install some applications that are not in the App Center. For example, I need digiKam, RawTherapee, EFRaw etc.

What would be the way to get them? I tried to install ppa repositories the same way as I would do in Ubuntu but it did not work.

Would someone please help?

Thank you,

Val

in Bodhi, ppa aka software-properties-common not installed by default, and just one click in Synaptic away. ^_^

#4 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Hi, guys,

Thank you for help. I first install the synaptic, and then I figured out that I needed to install software-properties-common.

Now everything works.

Thank you very much to both of you.

Val

#5 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:45 AM

As you mentioned you are new to bodhi, I will mention that PPAs are not easily added because PPAs "can" break your install.

#6 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:41 AM

Hi, Birdmun,

Thank you for letting me know about the ppa potential problems.

Is there an official or unofficial list of applications that can mess up the install? I am very impressed with Bodhi speed and system requirements but one of the reviews said that Bodhi is not the best distro for novices. So, it would not hurt to stay with the stable applications for a while.

Thank you in advance.

Val

#7 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:26 AM

Val,

My understanding is that a PPA 'could' install a lib or other package that is newer/older than one on your system and therefore cause instability. I ran with some PPAs when I ran bodhi. There are other users here that run PPAs of one package or another. If you are on a fresh install, you could add the PPAs you need and back your system up regularly. You could also make a software request if the packages you want are not available in the repositories.

#8 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

The official policy is to ask for software or newer versions of software not in our app center. BUT I use ppas all the time and have almost never ran into any issues worth mentioning. maybe once or twice in the last 8 years or so. And then it wasn't a big deal fixing the issue. BUT again if you are using ppas and have some problem it makes debugging the issue much harder for us if you ask for help. Especially if we are unaware of your ppa or what libs got upgraded and the upgrade borked your install.

So my advice is use ppas sparingly unless you know your way around potential problems apt and dpkg and so so.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#9 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:14 AM

Since the thread starter has already mentioned Ubuntu, my advice is that if the minimalism of Bodhi Linux is too simplistic, you are better off installing Debian 8.7 first, then add what you like about Bodhi or Ubuntu. As an example, if I were you I would install Debian, put GNOME aside, then install Moksha, Midori, Terminology and the packages that make you and / or Bodhi tick. It is not meaningful adding bells and whistles to Bodhi when the design intention is keeping requirements minimal.

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

#10 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

Hi, Rongxian LIN,

Thank you for the reply. Actually, Bodhi minimalism is the reason why I've chosen this distro. I like the look and the responsiveness of Bodhi. I cannot find anything in Bodhi that I do not like at the moment.

Regards,

Val

#11 bodhi-buddha

bodhi-buddha

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

Obviously, I'm not that Linux proficient yet, but I've noticed that when i want to install a program that I can't seem to find on the App center, the first thing I'd do is literally this:

1. Open up the terminal

2. Type in the name of the package or a variation of it

3. ???

So if I know I want to install Synaptic, but I'm not sure how to, I type in Synaptic. The next thing you know, my terminal tells me the proper way to address it.

qwertzy@bodhi-buddha:~$ synaptic
The program 'synaptic' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install synaptic
qwertzy@bodhi-buddha:~$ thank you terminal!

Best of luck in the fields of Linux!

A word gives life to bare metal
Bytes inviting execution
Guide to a sector to settle
A word gives life, to bare metal
The bootloader 0x27's role is vital
Denoted by its location--
A word gives life to bare metal
Bytes inviting execution

#12 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1659 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

Try this link and install synaptic via Midori web browser

http://www.bodhilinux.com/a/synaptic/

or do it as your new good friend terminal says:

type

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install synaptic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: App Center, digiKam, RAWTherapee, UFRaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users