AMD64 Turion broadcom Radeon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

Ubuntu recently came out with Ubuntu Studio. Ubuntu was one of those distros that could run on a Turion. If Ubuntu can work on this, Bodhi cannot be far behind. The Broadcom wireless can be overcome, as can be gleaned from our own forums. The Radeon was giving the black screen on boot issue; this was not going to be easy. But I checked to see what should work on this Turion chip: Ubuntu, SLAMD64 (A Slackware spinoff), Manjaro, etc.

But TAILS turned out ready to run with both the wifi and the Radeon graphics, out-of-the-box. If I weren't looking for other laptops--a friend needed to run special auto diagnostics with this gadget, I would just nuke the existing OS and install these distros. It's a play-it-by-ear thing.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:31 AM

Shall give this a miss, but in case anybody else is keen: https://ubuntustudio.org

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Tails, the distro that assures anonymity online, only needed a boot parameter load=broadcom-sta, for the wireless to be detected, and barely registered a hiccup with the Radeon. For these quick sessions, all I would need is the USB stick and the Tor browser it comes with; the other, regular browser ( it's called unsafe browser) can be used for regular surfing, but they advise against using it over the Tor browser. If you wish to find out more, their social contract outlining their mission has just been published on the home page.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AMD64, Turion, broadcom, Radeon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users