stabilety.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Rene Malmgren

Rene Malmgren

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

Hi, I have been using Bodhi now for several years, and I do it more or less on all my three workstations.

Recently I have had really annoying stability problems with Moksha. After a while, ( can be betweend 1-2 days to two weeks ) the windows system crashes. Usually it stars by preforming badly ( slowly ) and then after a while it stops updating the screen at all.

The only knows antidote that I have found so far is to switch to console and then kill all the enlightenment processes, and to log in again.

the interesting thing is that both my home computer, running a Intel i7 with internal GFX and my Intel i5 here at work seem to have the same problem. While my old old computer that runs om AMD and Bodhi 3 does not.

I realize that this is not a very good bugreport, but it would be cool if we could track down the bug.

So what am I looking 4.

Well for starters, is there any way we could get logs out from E / M so that we can try to narrow down the bug?

I suspect that the problem could be related to Chrome / Firefox and E / M.

/Rene

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

The logs would help in case of an error, and you had to troubleshoot or figure out what went wrong, but here is an article that might help you investigate -- there is no "hard error" here, only a general feeling of sluggishness in performance

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#3 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 197 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

The only occasions when I've experienced a similar problem with Moksha (slowing right down and then hanging) is on a computer with only 1 Gb memory. With Firefox in particular, the memory is quickly used up and the system starts swapping it to disk. Then the problems start. I overcome this with two small bits of code bound to a couple of hotkeys which clears the memory and starts again. But I don't get this problem on my main computer which has 4Gb of memory.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12538 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:38 AM

For reference this is not a problem with Moksha itself, but some underlying library. Probably the EFL we build on.

Here is a phab ticket I opened in January with the upstream folks looking for help. It got a pretty overwhelming response :-/

https://phab.enlightenment.org/T5135

#5 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:39 AM

For reference this is not a problem with Moksha itself, but some underlying library. Probably the EFL we build on.

Here is a phab ticket I opened in January with the upstream folks looking for help. It got a pretty overwhelming response :-/

https://phab.enlightenment.org/T5135

Ouch! This explains why, in my case, the Moksha Desktop lockup always happen when I switch desktops too rapidly. :)

#6 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:17 AM

No issue on my end this far. Imho Moksha gave me less errors than Enlightenment.

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

#7 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

After turning off "display information" under move geometry in the window display settings, I have had not issues.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#8 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:08 AM

@Randy:  thanks, good to know

#9 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationZacatecas, Mexico

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Turning off "display information" certainly alleviates the issue, but does not solve it completely. Also, in my case, the Moksha Desktop lockup sometimes happen when I switch desktops, no matter if I do it rapidly or not.

There was a long thread about this issue in http://forums.bodhil...oksha-segfault/

I wonder if would be possible to have Moksha based on a EFL version previous to the birth of this bug. As far as I can see, the currently used EFL version does not offer anything outstanding to be able to run Moksha, and it does indeed has an outstanding bug that the E developers don't care about...

#10 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Turning off "display information" certainly alleviates the issue, but does not solve it completely.

Worse, it locks mine up completely when I did that.

May be just coincidence though.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#11 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:35 PM

I don't use multiple desktops, so maybe that's why I haven't had any issues.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12538 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:40 AM

Turning off "display information" certainly alleviates the issue, but does not solve it completely. Also, in my case, the Moksha Desktop lockup sometimes happen when I switch desktops, no matter if I do it rapidly or not.

There was a long thread about this issue in http://forums.bodhil...oksha-segfault/

I wonder if would be possible to have Moksha based on a EFL version previous to the birth of this bug. As far as I can see, the currently used EFL version does not offer anything outstanding to be able to run Moksha, and it does indeed has an outstanding bug that the E developers don't care about...

Do you have a popup display when you change desktops? For reference this bug is occurring from any popup Moksha is displaying. Which includes notifications and things like Window Geometry displaying. 

Rolling back EFL versions was one of the first things I tried when the E team gave me no help fixing this issue. Using EFL 1.15.1 (the same version that is plenty stable on Bodhi 3.x) the lockups still occur. This means that it is likely a bug in some library that the EFL depend one - of which the list is long.

#13 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

I doubt that I have a popup display when switching desktops, since I got disabled "Display information". Anyway, I wouldn't know, 'cause switching desktop sometimes freezes the desktop (that is, it is left completely unusable and no mouse or keyboard input is recognized). This is a behavior different than the occasional Moksha segfault (in which Moksha suddenly acts as if About Operating System -> Restart Moksha were issued) but it is still usable after that.

It is bad news that the bug is not on the EFL libraries, but in some other support library, making too difficult to pinpoint the source of the issue...

#14 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

What if you disable the animation when switching desktops? The three choices are "Off" "Pane" and "Zoom"; This is in Virtual Desktop Settings, under the tab called Flip Animation. This is different from that 'display information'

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#15 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Thanks DOOMguy!!!

Your suggestion stopped the desktop freezing. When turning the animation switching to "Off", I still got the Moksha segfault (in which Moksha acts as if "About Operating System -> Restart Moksha" were issued), but it is much better than having the desktop hung and locked.

#16 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12538 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

Good catch. I think I'll make this the default behavior when we go to roll up Bodhi 4.2.0 later this summer.

#17 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

I have had a look and - it is "off" after a fresh install and the very first update. Did you do that, Jeff? Wow, that is support in the truest meaning of the word. This is my distro. 

#18 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12538 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Perfect. Thanks for checking. I thought I had toggled that off at one point. Couldn't remember though.

#19 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

Great find, DOOMguy.

It took us months and lots of testing and searching by many of us here and we didn't find the solution.

Thanks. Great job!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#20 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Good catch. I think I'll make this the default behavior when we go to roll up Bodhi 4.2.0 later this summer.

Will this issue no longer be present in the 4.2 version? Because I don't mind waiting a bit before installing Bodhi permanently. 

ALSO, how serious is this problem?  I've seen different users reporting different symptoms - but on the most part, what are the consequences?  Can this still be used as one's main distro, in it's current state? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users