pcmanfm logout

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 padbauer

padbauer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:25 AM

I prefer the behavior of the PCManFM desktop over the Moksha one, so I added the line "pcmanfm --desktop" to ~/.e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands.  Unfortunately, it does not close politely when I log out or shutdown, causing the system to wait.  The command "killall pcmanfm" works fine, and I have been in the habit of manually running this before I log off, which causes logoff to go as desired.  How can I get this process to close nicely when logging out?

From what I've read, one solution is to place a script in /etc/init.d and link to it in /etc/rc0.d and/or /etc/rc6.d, but I'd like to know if there is something slicker.  Maybe I can start the desktop as a daemon?

Note that regular instances of pcmanfm don't cause any problems for logging out.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

What if you close pcmanfm before logging out? Does it logoff 'politely'?

And what if you do not put it in the startup commands? Does it help?

ps: I use pcmanfm too, but I use key-bindings (or just click application) to start. Easy enough too to close it.

I do not have this problem.

Note that regular instances of pcmanfm don't cause any problems for logging out.

I see you have 'regular instances' of pcmanfm. Can you explain why you need this 'irregular instance' of pcmanfm?

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#3 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

Install xdotool, set key binding say alt+p to bring up system controls, then create this simple script...

#!/bin/sh

pkill pcmanfm && xdotool keydown alt+p keyup alt+p &
fi

Store it safely and name it something like bodhi-shutsown.sh

then call it from a key binding, or create a personal application launcher, add to desktop and use it for a custom shutdown button.

Not elegant, but effective.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pcmanfm, logout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users