Desktop is blank, would like icons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 padbauer

padbauer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

I simply don't see icons on the desktop.  I have an almost-fresh install of Bodhi 4.1.0 with Moksha 0.2.1.  The shelf works fine, all the modules work fine, IBar works fine, the wallpaper works fine, the theme works fine, but I don't see any desktop icons!  I don't think this is the intended behavior, because there were desktop icons in the live disc.  Yet I have been having difficulty finding any posts by anyone with this issue.  I would simply like to see the contents of ~/Desktop, since I like to keep files visually arranged as part of my workflow.  I temporarily gave up and been using pcmanfm for my desktop, but that has its own problems.  I'd appreciate any help getting the Moksha desktop working as I want.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Moksha does not support desktop icons. pcmanfm  or nautilus is the only solution at this time. 

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

this thread closely resembles your post, but remember there are other window managers out there that support desktop icons out-of-the-box

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 marianoth

marianoth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina

Posted Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Moksha does not support desktop icons. pcmanfm  or nautilus is the only solution at this time. 

How can I try this two options? Do I have to install these softwares or are they already included in the Bodhi installation?

I'm a Linux new user. Thanks!

#5 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted Today, 05:20 AM

I am pretty sure pcmanfm is the default filemanager. If you search the forums, you will see other users explain how the "got icons on the desktop" via pcmanfm. Jeff, lead dev, has suggested adding an iBar to the desktop and placing shortcuts in it. I rarely see my desktop and even when I do/can I still either use the start menu or the Run Everything via the Win + Spacebar keyboard shortcut. Having shortcuts to documents is a whole different can of worms. I believe there has been a post or three about making such a shortcut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users