Brightness keybindings on an Acer C720

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 biddy

biddy

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

I've been happily running Bodhi Linux 2.4 on my Acer C720 for since I originally purchased it. It's long since past time to upgrade. I'm test driving it, trying to make sure I can get everything to work somewhat similar to what it has been. One thing I'm having difficulty with is the top row keys. I can get the mute, volume up, and volume down keys mapped correctly. I can't seem to figure out the correct settings for the brightness up and brightness down keys.

Does anyone have experience with this?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:03 AM

Have seen this before on certain Acer laptops running Bodhi 2.4, iirc. Have yet replicated this behaviour on more recent releases of most linuxes i.e. not sure.

Son. Student. Citizen.

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

Go to Key Bindings in Settings. On the left hand side are the commands you are going to bind those special function keys (they have blue icons on most laptop keys) but the actual command is XF86MonBrightnessUp and XF86MonBrightnessDown to increase or reduce the brightness, respectively.

If you look at that Dialog, there are single keys you can bind like standalone keys e.g. Menu or Context or Super key. There are also two-key combos e.g. ALT+F10 ALT+F11, etc which may have a related action out-of-the-box, but these are not carved in stone and their corresponding action e.g. Goto Workspace Left can be replaced with NudgeWindow left by x  (Be sure to fill out the parameters required, so look closely at the parameters needed, like distance x pixels) The devs (The Enlightenment developers followed by the Bodhi team) did not dictate what those keys will do, but they offered their suggestions by examples so you will realize what they are capable of. For instance I want a key combo to make a window JUMP to the workspace on the right, but a different combo will simply nudge it on the screen by 20 pixels. I had combos to make a browser shade up, or shade left (theme-dependent though; they must have window borders)

I'll just wait for the video from birdmun :P unless youtube has them already

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users