• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hi, from Sioux Falls, SD,

After using Bodhi for a while on iMac via Parallel's Desktop, I started looking for an compact laptop to run Bodhi on a dedicated machine. I ended up with Lenovo ThinkPad X200s with 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD and 12 inch screen.

The laptop arrived yesterday and Bodhi installed with no problems at all. The system is fast and responsive. Absence of a trackpad is an advantage rather than a deficiency - for travel it is sufficient, and for the stationary use I may plug in a mouse.

So far, Bodhi experience is excellent, and I do not see anything missing (at least in comparison with Linux Mint that I am using on another machine).

The software availability is good via the App Center and repositories, although everyone recommends to be careful with repositories. 

I am currently looking for a lightweight RAW image file viewer to view Olympus RAW files while traveling. The possible list includes UFRaw and Geeqie. If anyone provides an insight with this regard, that would be helpful and well appreciated.

So, ThankPad X200s is great, Bodhi is awesome, and I hope it keeps this way.

Val

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

congrats!

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:58 AM

With no mouse, you can breeze through the lines at airports just holding the Thinkpad (and tickets, and passport) in your hand. Just sayin'. If you ever get separated from your luggage (heaven forbid), you have everything you need in your hand. (well, if your camera is on you like a tourist, that is).

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:34 AM

DOOMguy,

I am afraid you are right - I will keep the notebook on me while traveling. The X200s that I bought looks and feels too good to be risked.

Encouraged by the reply from The Waiter, I've read about Moksha, E17 and a bunch of other desktop environments, and have mixed feelings.

On one hand, stability, speed, and available software are more important for me than the looks. At the same time, esthetics are involved when I make my judgement.

For example, I do not like Puppy because of the looks but I could live with it if I knew all its functionality.

Mint, Fedora, openSuse, Peppermint, Solus, Bodhi - I like them all even though they have different ways of doing things.

My guess is that the command line syntax and the way new software is installed might be the main difference. Adjusting to the looks of the different environments should not be too difficult. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Val

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

ephoto should open raw images I believe.

#6 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

As a follow-up to my post #3 above, and with a lot of Gimp work most of the time, I can relate to val's need for a mouse when the laptop is stationary. This would be another reason to get a docking station suited for the ultraportable: it will keep all other peripherals -- not just the mouse -- connected AND ready, plus I could use a DVI out for a secondary screen, which I attach only  if the main system has a capable graphics card.Just a quick look through craigslist (items under $180) gave me a place that wanted to get rid of all their DELL and Lenovo  and HP docks; he had so many different models too.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users