• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hi,

I am enjoying Bodhi, and became curious what "bells and whistles" are removed from Ubuntu to make Bodhi. Just curious because I see no deficiencies in Bodhi whatsoever. Were those "bells and whistles" needed in Ubuntu in the first place?

The main question is - how the developers envision Bodhi growing. I just hope they keep it as lightweight as it is at the moment. 

I would greatly appreciate an insight from the developers.

Thank you,

Val

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

Perhaps the question more suitable for our main leader Jeff. Anyway as far as I know Bodhi GNU/Linux = Ubuntu minimal + Moksha desktop. Its main aim is to be lightweight so you can't find any preinstalled GUI apps apart from light Midori web browser and PCman file manager. I like we don't force users to use apps we consider to be good for us. No, your choice is the best choice. Bodhi is also very fast at boot and perfomance because of Moksha desktop manager which is one of the most lightweight desktop  (maybe compared with LXDE). In my PC it uses very small resources. Just 64 MB after boot. 

For your info: Moksha is E17 fork. We just slightly modificate its code. We are not E developers. E is now in revision E21 and E developers are trying to make it still lightweight. 

Anyway, Ubuntu has got some more GUI settings related to printers, screen, account administrative etc. Bodhi has not its native dialogs for this. Sometimes terminal is our good friend :)

I believe Jeff or other Bodhi team member will add more info for you...

#3 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hi, The waiter,

Thank you for the reply. After reading your reply I found this article written by Jeff https://mokshadesktop.github.io The article makes me read more about  Moksha and Enlightenment.

I've never used previous Bodhi releases before, so Bodhi 4.1.0 is my only real experience (I tried to install Bodhi 3.0 via Parallel's Desktop 10 on MacBook Air in December 2015 and something did not work). So far, my experience is all positive.

All the best.

Val

#4 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

I am curious what did not work on the Mac Air. Maybe with boot camp or the Mac's builtin startup manager it will behave differently from Parallels, but I am no Machead. With a lightweight desktop, that piece of kit will be lighter than your standard Mac Air :rolleyes:   And we have a reply from the waiter; it's all good

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#5 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:33 AM

Doomguy,

I think it was some problem with Parallel's Desktop on the MacBook Air.

There were many distros that did not install there: Pure OS, Porteus 3 and some other - I do not remember them all.

On my office iMac I've upgraded Parallel's from version 10 to version 12 about a month ago and installed Bodhi 4 since I've been considering it for small size (preferably 11 inch) laptop. So far everything is good.

So, I think that was a problem with Parallel's Desktop.

Val

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Bodhi 5.0.0 will happen some time next summer after Ubuntu 18.04 releases. We always just take the latest Ubuntu LTS release and then build Moksha on top of it.

At some point later this summer we will have a 4.2.0 release for the current Bodhi branch that will simply be an update release to keep the install ISO images up to date with fixes.

#7 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

Bodhi 5.0.0 will happen some time next summer after Ubuntu 18.04 releases. We always just take the latest Ubuntu LTS release and then build Moksha on top of it.

At some point later this summer we will have a 4.2.0 release for the current Bodhi branch that will simply be an update release to keep the install ISO images up to date with fixes.

Thank you, Jeff,

I am looking for it.

Val

#8 cordx

cordx

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Locationsatx

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

Hi, The waiter,

Thank you for the reply. After reading your reply I found this article written by Jeff https://mokshadesktop.github.io The article makes me read more about  Moksha and Enlightenment.

I've never used previous Bodhi releases before, so Bodhi 4.1.0 is my only real experience (I tried to install Bodhi 3.0 via Parallel's Desktop 10 on MacBook Air in December 2015 and something did not work). So far, my experience is all positive.

All the best.

Val

my personal takeaway from that post: if the wall will not stop being so hard just because you persist in banging your head against it, fork the darn thing :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users