Installing from an INSTALLED pendrive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

I have 3.1.1 Apppack INSTALLED on a USB, I now want to simply copy what I have to a HD partition and then boot from that. (I have installed some programs on the 3.1.1 which I would like available on this new, HD  partition). What do I do? If I just create a partition somehow, then format it and then dd the entire pendrive over, will that work? Do I HAVE to format it? (still don't really understand these things...).

And most importantly, how do I add that option to my boot menu? On that HD, I already have 3 OSes, this will be the 4th, and I'm planning to add another in the future. What exactly do I have to do? (I'm guessing this has got to do with editing GRUB files, right? WHICH of the 3 grubs, and what do I do?)

Thanks.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

What OS's do you have on your other partitions?

Which OS do you plan on having as your primary?

You may be able to get away with simply copying over your partition from your USB to a partition on your HD then doing a 'sudo update-grub' if you are running Ubuntu/Linux on one of your other partitions.

However, if you want to make the Bodhi OS your primary, after you copy over your partition to your HD, you will have to chroot into Bodhi and do a 'sudo grub-install' & 'sudo update-grub'.

Regarding the chroot method, I would follow this how-to -->  http://howtoubuntu.o...-ubuntu-live-cd

You probably already know this but here it is anyway...

!!!   Be extra careful not to over-write or delete your partitions or hard drive while copying over your partitions. If you have no worries at all about copying over a partition, you're either an expert who knows exactly what he/she is doing, or a total beginner who has no clue what he/she is doing.  Please be careful, this is just a friendly warning.  I won't begin to cover here about how to copy over a partition, you'll have to find a procedure on google somewhere that you trust.  !!!

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#3 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Oh right - is it possible to use one of the OTHER OSes to do the GRUB updating? Like, I dd my Bodhi to a new partition I make, and then go to one of them, and do what you said above? The others are CentOS and Makulu.

And someone please answer my question - is it neccesary to format before dd'ing, or does dd'ing do it for you?

#4 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

...and btw, on the pendrive, there are TWO partitions - one for the rest of it, and one for /home - what do I do? Do I dd the rest of it, and then manually copy the files from /home over onto the HD? (don't want 2 separate partitions on the *HD* for the Bodhi....)

#5 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

The answer to your dd question can be found on this page

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#6 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

Personally, I would use something like 'gparted' from a live disk/USB to copy a partition from one piece of hardware to another. Create the partition on your hard drive first, then copy it over.

Once the partition is copied over, (1) do an 'update-grub' in one of your other OS's. (2) Make sure your /etc/fstab is correct on your bodhi partition so that bodhi isn't looking for a partition to mount to your /home/ directory. Hint, if you can mount your newly copied partition and edit that file, you're probably on the right track. (3)  Boot and see if bodhi shows up in grub, I'm pretty sure it should. (4) Copy your files over from 'home' on your USB.

!!! I am Mr. Be Careful, so I'm going to say it ... Be careful. If at all possible, create a backup of your hard drive first just for safety sake. It's MUCH quicker to create and test out a backup first than to mess up your entire drive and have to rebuild everything from scratch. !!!

Hope I understood you right and that what I wrote makes some sense.

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

#7 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

Um bro, you don't have to TELL me that! :)

Several CDs and DVDs were burned yesterday! :)

Lemme get this straight -  I don't have to "grub-install" then? Only UPDATE grub? Because I already have one installed?

But hang on, how will the installed GRUB know about the new OS that's just been dd'd?

Do I have to chmod or chown anything in the /home to get stuff to normal?

#8 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

After you copy over your partition, when you do the update-grub from another OS, yes the update-grub command should find your new bodhi partition and realize that it is a bootable OS. If that is simply not the result you get, then you should chroot into your new partition and do a grub-install. That should correct things.

You may have to change permissions or ownership of the home files in order to get things working correctly. I like to use 'cp -p' when I want to preserve permissions during a copy. Also, you will probably want to bring over the contents of your home directory before you actually boot into your new bodhi partition.

This is a pretty non standard procedure, so there are likely to be other things you will encounter that I haven't thought of. In the end the easiest method might be to just reinstall to your hdd, install your programs that you like, then copy over your home directory from your usb (which this last step would also make this a non standard procedure and likely to leave something messed up).

Forum Rules (link)

#9 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

I feel like I should ask the obvious question: what issue prevented you from installing to the HDD partition in the first place? And the necessary follow-on question: is it still an issue?

When somebody like sef asks/says it is a nonstandard procedure, the difficult questions should follow

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#10 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

I was using it on a machine without a HD - there I'd installed it to a pendrive. Then, I got access to another machine WITH an HD. That's why.

I solved the entire problem myself! And learnt some new stuff long the way, too! :)

#11 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

I was using it on a machine without a HD - there I'd installed it to a pendrive. Then, I got access to another machine WITH an HD. That's why.

I solved the entire problem myself! And learnt some new stuff long the way, too! :)

Care to share how you did it?  :)  Your input may be able to help someone else down the line!

Forum Rules (link)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users