• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationZacatecas, Mexico

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

I updated my laptop to kernel 4.11. Didn't take too long to notice an issue: 'sudo su' and 'su' stopped working, as well as any app that requires admin privileges, such as gparted and synaptic. No admin access anymore. Using the previous installed kernel (4.10 in my case) solves the issue.

Guess who's the culprit of this weird issue? something in E. Heads up, there is a storm coming around for us with kernel 4.11:

https://forums.gento...sc-start-0.html

And, as usual, the E devs don't care to take a look:

So, it's only the Enlightenment window manager being affected. On the Enlightenment dev list the developers don't know either and to quote the main developers response to someone else report of the issue from yesterday;

Quote: but it's a kernel change that creates the issue. what - i don't know. ask your friendly neighbourhood kernel developer. the setuid root binaries are specifically erroring out unable to assume root privs where they could before.

Problem persist with 4.11.1 and e developers keep blaming kernel, but only e17 is affected from all DE...

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

Beside of the fact that E17 is not very well supported by Kernel 4.11 I have to ask if there is a desperate need of using Kernel 4.11?

I am just curious. Is 4.4  too outdated?

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

I doubt E devs will spend their time fixing E 17. It's release from 2012. "Unfortunately" Moksha is E17 fork. The only support they will give to last E release with number 21. I am in touch with some of e devs. Their info to me

#4 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

I doubt E devs will spend their time fixing E 17. It's release from 2012. "Unfortunately" Moksha is E17 fork. The only support they will give to last E release with number 21. I am in touch with some of e devs. Their info to me

This issue affects e21 also, from the e-devel mailing list:

Hi,

I got the source of kernel 4.11, then comipled, and check the
behaviour of enlightenment (efl 1.18.1, enlightment 0.21.7).

At the start up of enlightenment, I got an error message;

There was an error trying to set the cpu power state setting via the
 module's setfreq utility.

On the kernel 4.10.x, I never see such a message.

And, I tried to use su and sudo command in the terminal, I got a
strange message;

fulwood@linux-uw5l:~> sudo
sudo: effective uid is not 0, is sudo installed setuid root

fulwood@linux-uw5l:~> su
Password:
su: incorrect password

This means, there is a problem concerning uid treatment in the
enlightenment, doesn't it.

also there is a phab report: su not working under kernel 4.11 as well as a discussion on e-users mailing list.

It is my impression this is an issue reported/encountered by ppl compiling their own kernels. Now compiling kernels is not for the timid and kernels have lots and lots of options. If you do it wrong stuff doesn't work for you. And things change so what you used to do may no longer work. So give it time someone will get to the bottom of this issue even if perhaps it is a kernel developer.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#5 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:23 AM

Beside of the fact that E17 is not very well supported by Kernel 4.11 I have to ask if there is a desperate need of using Kernel 4.11?

I am just curious. Is 4.4  too outdated?

Well, recent kernels have improved support for a lot of drivers, and many of them are not available in the 4.4 release.. Recent kernels have improved support for Intel Skylake and above and, namely 4.11 introduces a new swap concept that is better for SSD disks so, yes, for some of our laptops the 4.11 would be a very welcomed release.

4.4 is not "too outdated", but it would really awful to stay forever on 4.4 to 4.10, because those were the last kernel versions that worked fine with E...

#6 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:30 AM

It is my impression this is an issue reported/encountered by ppl compiling their own kernels.

Nope. This issue also arises using the offcial Ubuntu kernel mainline build. I also got the the same weird error "sudo: effective uid is not 0, is sudo installed setuid root"

#7 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

Hi, guys

I am in no way an expert but why not to stick with the stable E and stable kernel and get rid of the known bugs?

The forecast of the shit storm coming does not nurture my optimism.

Thank you,

Val

#8 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:27 AM

So give it time someone will get to the bottom of this issue even if perhaps it is a kernel developer.

Which is likely to happen, as usual.

#9 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

Nope. This issue also arises using the offcial Ubuntu kernel mainline build. I also got the the same weird error "sudo: effective uid is not 0, is sudo installed setuid root"

Interesting. I looked thru the kernels changelog and its configuration settings and saw nothing obvious that would account for this. Still I have faith someone with more familiarity with these kinds of issues will resolve this in time. Bodhi has enough issues of its own without worrying about possible future issues at this point.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#10 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 83 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

Using the latest kernel is a choice but if you want something bleeding edge I think why not use Debian unstable or something like Arch. The kernel that comes with Bodhi 4.1.0  is just fine and stable. Moksha works fine on the systems here, my own  laptop (Dell), my wifes laptop (Dell) and a Sharkoon game system with Steam I've build for my son with a Asus motherboard, 16GB Corsair mem and 2GB Ati graphics card (4800 series), 240G SSD hd and 1T hd.

Running...

Bodhi 4.3.1 64bit on a Lenovo 110s

Bodhi 4.1.0 Legacy on a Dell Latitude D505
Damn Small 4.4.10 on an old Compaq Armada 1590DT (48MB memory and 3GB harddisk and still usable for administration tasks)
A couple of Raspberry Pi 's,

Arduino' s

and MSX 1 and 2 computers

#11 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

It is worth noting that Cănărău Constantin has found that specific kernel commit that broke enlightenment. Also worth noting a kernel bug report has been filed on this issue. I am unsure how the kernel devs are going to respond to this issue, whether they will restore the functionality needed by e-devs, specifically restore  LSM_UNSAFE_PTRACE_CAP or rather they will tell  the e-devs what they have been doing is unsafe/wrong and to find another way to deal with what they need. But either way these developments are a good first step towards resolving this issue ;)

#12 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

Thanks a lot, good news. 

#13 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

It is worth noting that Cănărău Constantin has found that specific kernel commit that broke enlightenment. Also worth noting a kernel bug report has been filed on this issue. I am unsure how the kernel devs are going to respond to this issue, whether they will restore the functionality needed by e-devs, specifically restore  LSM_UNSAFE_PTRACE_CAP or rather they will tell  the e-devs what they have been doing is unsafe/wrong and to find another way to deal with what they need. But either way these developments are a good first step towards resolving this issue ;)

This issue should be fixed: ptrace: Properly initialize ptracer_cred on fork.

#14 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

I run Arch with moksha and I just ran across the lets break sudo issue. I found there is a patch that someone shared because the new kernel broke their enlightenment install, but, I don't know how to install the patch, so, I will have to wait for the patch while using a different DE (currently lxde).

#15 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

Finally with 4.11.6-1-ARCH I can use moksha again.

#16 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

Finally with 4.11.6-1-ARCH I can use moksha again.

Do you mean you updated the kernel to 4.11.6-1 in Arch?

#17 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:08 AM

That is exactly what I mean.

#18 ylee

ylee

• Moderators
  • 1580 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:13 AM

Well that is great news :) Glad to know the kernel devs came  thru and it all works again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users