instal partition mbr

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 morjamn

morjamn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

Hi , my name is James Got a hot topic as we speak. I install Bodhi  with out apps. I like the install but I need the other stuff. Now I have the app version and it wants to split the first install and put it along side the first one which is next to XP. It failed because I don't now where to put the boot loader. It would be easier if I could just update to app version in terminal ? It looks like this :

2q9la2t.jpg

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 morjamn

morjamn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

I might have figured it out erase means erase 1 and 5 which are swap and ext. 4 so I should be good to go. I answered my own question !

#3 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

Have been using Linux and dualbooting over more than a decade, yet still, the mere sight of the above screenshot gives me the creeps or shivers. While not as serious as a surgery room decision, since my student days I have always struggled with giving advice or instructions on dealing with the master boot record, and it has gotten slightly more complex since Windows 7 with UEFI and recovery partitions. Here is a decent Ubuntu tutorial which works pretty much the same as Bodhi as both use GRUB2:  https://help.ubuntu....indowsDualBoot 

From what I am seeing, you are doing it correctly and iirc, Windows XP does not carry the UEFI dilemma hence you are probably safe just installing GRUB2 and letting it override the Windows MBR. Yet, I am no longer confident of owning such advice since if I were you I would just back up all the data, install Bodhi whilst completely removing all NTFS or FAT32 partitions, and completely dispense with Windows XP by now. If you still have a recurring need of Windows XP and you possess the CD or ISO image, a better way is just installing Sun Virtualbox in Bodhi and running a Windows virtual machine off the linux OS. Just my two cents.

Son. Student. Citizen.

#4 morjamn

morjamn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

I am just about in the same or similar situation. I have been using some form of linux for about 10 years also but it works so well I rarely have to worry about it. I had all ready pulled most of what I thought I would like to keep , maybe 10gb of info. Good thing because I did exactly what you suggested. It is Bodhi Linux on the hole drive !

Thanks for the link Rongxiang Lin.

#5 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:14 AM

:) In the longer run let us say you come ever back desiring old windows usage beyond Linux, ReactOS just released 0.4.5 on GNU GPL this week. I still prefer sticking with Linux given a choice, but where I am coming from is that Windows XP is really history. It was a good OS when it lasted back then, iirc.

Son. Student. Citizen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: instal, partition, mbr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users