• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ContemplativeFarmer

ContemplativeFarmer

• Team
  • 55 posts
  • LocationDepends on the day...

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Has anyone used the EDI IDE and if so in what environment.  

I took a look at it, downloaded it, but it requires some libraries which are not yet available on Bodhi 4.1.  No big deal, but I am interested in feedback from anyone who might have given it a shot in some other environment.

Thanks in advance.

..life is a strange place...

ContemplativeFarmer

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

Am importing a Windows evaluation .ova virtual appliance as I type, because a user elsewhere requested me of pro bono Microsoft Windows support. The Edi IDE is something we can perhaps give a miss. Checking out the project website shows not the project being defunct, but the entire Codeplex project management platform by Microsoft closing down. Codeplex accompanied me briefly over several years, in essence any project that shows up on Codeplex is mostly good in terms of academic or personal home use. :)

Yet, in terms of commercial purposes, Visual Studio as an IDE these days is already a lacklustre branding. Perhaps, without Xamarin and Mono keeping a substantial portion of the .NET community interested, Visual Studio as a development platform itself lacks the punch, much lesser projects inspired by .Net. If you simply must do .Net development on Bodhi Linux, imho Atom, Xamarin, Visual Studio Code are some environments that come to mind more prominently the past year. I personally liked Facebook Nuclide very much, but did not find it commercially profitable.

Son. Student. Citizen.

#3 ContemplativeFarmer

ContemplativeFarmer

• Team
  • 55 posts
  • LocationDepends on the day...

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

Sorry, I should have posted links to what I was referring to, which I think may be related but seems different than what you are referring to Jayan.  Let me know if I am wrong about that.

https://www.enlighte...t.org/about-edi

I am MicroSoft averse and so have very little experience with .NET and the rest of the MS stuff. Thus, I am ignorant of most of what you refer to.  I have one laptop with MS10 on it just so I can help my wife out with some of her tasks.  Her work laptop is of course MS... 

..life is a strange place...

ContemplativeFarmer

#4 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Sorry, I should have posted links to what I was referring to, which I think may be related but seems different than what you are referring to Jayan.  Let me know if I am wrong about that.

https://www.enlighte...t.org/about-edi

I am MicroSoft averse and so have very little experience with .NET and the rest of the MS stuff. Thus, I am ignorant of most of what you refer to.  I have one laptop with MS10 on it just so I can help my wife out with some of her tasks.  Her work laptop is of course MS... 

Don't say sorry please, likewise I am sorry because I did not know that they were two similarly named yet different IDE platforms until I saw a post by Jeff on this forum two years back. :)  I am equally if not more Microsoft adverse than you, yet I keep Windows around because it reminds me of my suffering and I truly love my suffering. Just this morning I was doing cyber courses at Microsoft Virtual Academy, and each one that I kept failing I kept laughing. I remember paying thousands of dollars for Microsoft certification courses back then. I attended MS lectures and the tutors did not understand software development better than me, in fact one Filipino that was teaching me how to code in Visual Studio 2008 had never coded a commercial or enterprise project in Visual Studio 2008 before outside of her classrooms. I still remember going in for the several MS certification examinations and each one that I went in I just failed, presumably for the sake of failing. 

It was a phase of life when I was doing something without really knowing why I had to do it. I had to fail Microsoft certifications for the sake of failing, I had to attend nine state arranged blind dates for the sake of fulfilling a dating quota because we were facing low fertility rates. As I reminisce the past, I just cannot help but keep laughing.  :wub: Thank goodness I failed all my Microsoft courses and still do! I never figured out why I can never pass a Microsoft examination my entire life.

Son. Student. Citizen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Programming, development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users