4 replies to this topic

#1 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

I have placed a new version of ePad in the testing branch for users to try.  To install:

If you have the testing branch enabled either simple update and upgrade your system:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
or update epad directly:

sudo apt-get install epad

If you would rather not enable the testing repo, you can download and install the needed deb files:Several new features have been added to ePad.

Most noteworthy is support for fonts. Regular readers of this forum may recall my tale of yak-shaving, bugs and general frustration in the post i386 python-efl docs, wrong symlink _gv.i686-linux-gnu.so. It should be noted this tale of yak-shaving has continued as I have found a total of at least 6 bugs. Two in py-efl, three in ubuntu packages and one in bodhi packages. As well as some weirdnesses and oddities and maybe bugs in EFL itself :(

Regardless of all that epad 0.2.6 adds the font-selection dialog mentioned in that post to ePad. 

Two other features have also been added to ePad:
  • Word wrap has been partially restored.
  • ePad options are stored in a configuration file.
At one point ePad supported word wrap but it was removed due to a coding conflict with line numbers. I have restored word wrap but have taking Jeffs advice to only allow word wrap in cases where line numbers are not enabled.

ePad configuration options are now stored in a json file located by default at ~/.config/epad/epad.json.  ePad does support the $XDG_CONFIG_HOME environmental variable so this location can be changed (see the freedesktop.org page on XDG Base Directory Specifications).

This file will be created with default values if it does not exist and it should be noted that it is NOT validated to ensure reasonable values exists. For the moment and maybe permanently ePad developers (mainly Jeff and me) are taking the view ePad should be as simple as possible and data validation here is unnecessary. If you bork this file by editing it or if becomes somehow corrupt and ePad fails to load or function correctly simple delete it. You will find several options in this file not changeable in ePad itself and one option not implemented yet. Since ePad is under heavy development options available here or this file structure may change in future releases. For the moment I am not going to explain all possible options.

For users willing to seriously test this new package I will later post on the kinds of bugs and issues I wish to be informed of or that I expect. I do expect there to be some bugs or oddities as EFL  itself has some oddities dealing with fonts, my code for this is a tangled up mess I plan on rewriting, and more importantly these are some major changes and I haven't had the time to fully test them all.

But note: please report bugs here and not on github as I have not committed the code changes reflected in epad 0.2.6 or in python-elm-extensions 0.2.1 to github. The reason being my code is a mess and I plan on refactoring it all now that I have a better idea of what I need.

Mandatory screenshots:

GfdbnjR.png

2hKGp2C.png

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hi.

I'm not sure this is the right place for this but if you're taking requests, I have one.

Would it be possible to have ePad allow execution in a shell (like, say, Python) of the file (where applicable)? I think leafpad had this but I'm not sure about that.

Bob Rashkin

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

That seems like something outside the scope of what ePad is aiming to do as a "simple" text editor. 

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

The word wrap toggle and font selector are really slick and seem to work fine here. Good work.

Don't see any reason here to not promote this to main for more people after using it a bit. 

#5 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

For the record I updated the ePad version 0.9.6  in testing to address an issue noted elsewhere as well took Jeff's suggestions he made somewhere (maybe facebook) to toggle line numbers and word wrap.  Any issues with this version of ePad  please contact me or post here.

To update only epad be sure to also update efl as the python-efl Jeff added to Bodhi's main repo doesn't specify the version of efl it relies upon. Assuming you have the test repo enabled:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install efl epad

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ePad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users