Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

http://www.bodhilinu...4-2-0-released/

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

This is an excellent release and everybody willing to test an efficient, lean linux system should feel encouraged to give it a shot. 

#3 BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:29 AM

I have downloaded and tested 4.2.0. I have not had any trouble so far.

There is one request. I want you to add "64bit" and "32bit" to this page:

http://www.bodhilinux.com/download/

In this state, the user confuses directly when the user refers to the download page.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:23 AM

There is a link on this page the user is directed to click if they don't understand the different versions presented there.

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:30 AM

Jeff - just burned the 4.1 version.  last dvd i had.  if i install the 4.1 it will update to 4.2 via eepdater yes?

#6 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:04 AM

Jeff - just burned the 4.1 version.  last dvd i had.  if i install the 4.1 it will update to 4.2 via eepdater yes?

I would like to help. Yes, install 4.1, update via eepdater and then run the following commands via terminal:

-------------------------

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install swami-control

You have to do this to get the swami-control-panel, which is new in the 4.2 release. After that everything is complete, instead of Kernel 4.10. This can be done via Synaptic, if you would like to test it.

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

not sure why you would have to do all of the other stuff you mentioned.  stuff should be inherent  from within the 4.1 install.  I never did anything with bodhi 3 other than eepdater and all works fine.

p.s. i guess that is why i hate redoing my system every few years.  should be an easier way...

#8 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

not giving you a heard time - just want to make sure that what i am being told is 100% legit.  i do not know much about linux - some people know an incredible amount - and many know enough to be dangerous.   Been there and done that and wrecked an install.

thanks.

#9 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

I would like to help. Yes, install 4.1, update via eepdater and then run the following commands via terminal:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install swami-control

You have to do this to get the swami-control-panel, which is new in the 4.2 release. After that everything is complete, instead of Kernel 4.10. This can be done via Synaptic, if you would like to test it.

not sure why you would have to do all of the other stuff you mentioned.  stuff should be inherent  from within the 4.1 install.  I never did anything with bodhi 3 other than eepdater and all works fine.

p.s. i guess that is why i hate redoing my system every few years.  should be an easier way...

graywizard:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

is all you need to update. eepdater should be able to handle it. Mr.J is simply trying to tell you that Jeff added swami-control panel to Bodhi 4.2 as an extra package.

If you want it you need to install it if you haven't already. It is not a needed package.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#10 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

Ok thank you - now to find out more about this swami  thing.  I have seen it posted before - but since i did not think it pertained to me i did not explore it.

Thanks to both of you.

#11 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

did a seach but vague results re: swami - anyone have a decent link explaining this more? Thank you - sorry if off topic by a it...

ok so that is the so-called menu area when you click on the desktop?  if you do not add it - bodhi should still look like it does in 3 then - if i get it.  found a brief definition jeff wrote somewhere.

#12 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Swami control panel is an application Jeff started working on some time ago to replace enlightenments settings. Not much more to say than  that other than it is a work in progress ...

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#13 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

In its current state swami is a tool that gives you a GUI for changing the system date / time and manage lightdm settings. It will do more at some point. 

#14 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

Ok so i probably am not going to deal with it at this time.  Thank you all for everything!!!

#15 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

Ok so i probably am not going to deal with it at this time.  Thank you all for everything!!!

You are welcome. 

Right now I consider Swami to be a helpful addition to a great working system; installation as described  above is fast and easy. 

I understand that you avoid spending time with installs and all the work afterwards to be done to make yourself feel like home. Since I am working with linux, I have the strong feeling that every new release seems to arouse an allmighty urge in the communities to test/install/change. But why changing a well working system?

Bodhi 4 with its 16.04 LTS base will get support until 2021 and is a true install-and-forget-distro, rock solid. I do not know if I will resist to install the Bodhi 5 release next year, but if not, the installation of Bodhi plus my personal software is unmatchable fast (just a few apps).  ;)

#16 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

3 is good for less than a year i think so i guess i am trying to find the time to do my laptops and my wife's too as soon as i can get to it.  then it will be good for a number of years.  I may be dead by the time i need to redo it again.

:-))))

if 3 were still good for the next 5 years i would leave it at that but i guess no updates or security fixes will exist after that period.

#17 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

Bodhi 3.x will be supported until 2019.

Bodhi 4.x will be supported until 2021.

Bodhi 5.x will come out some time after April 2018 and will be supported until 2023.

Do what you will, but you could wait until 5.x comes out to upgrade / reinstall if you don't want to mess around with OS re-configurations.

( ps. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from installing Bodhi 4.x !!! Just laying out the info here. )   :)

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#18 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Sef.  my mistake on next year vs 2019.  so - will bodhi 5 upgrade be easier as to just hit upgrade and everything will work or is it still a clean install and re-tweaking everything?  or is it still going to be an OS reconfiguration as you say?  And i do appreciate your candor and help.  bodhi 5 may work then - and i do believe Jeff had mentioned something about 5 which i asked about in the past and mentioned most recently as an alternative.  i still may do bodhi 4 on my wife's laptop she runs xubuntu and it sucks big time and is slow believe it or not.  and i removed a lot of junk too.  not much to tweak for her compared to my systems....

Thank you for clarifying the 2019 date.

p.s. she runs linux and macs at home - mac is her university computer and also windows in her office and lab.  she know enough to be dangerous about each of them so she gets lost all the time.  i told her to stick with one or 2 if she has to and to get her head around them a bit more.

#19 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

so - will bodhi 5 upgrade be easier as to just hit upgrade and everything will work or is it still a clean install and re-tweaking everything?  or is it still going to be an OS reconfiguration as you say?  

It will be a clean re-install && re-tweaking. Sorry no luck on the upgrade, but that would be nice!

As a note, before you do a clean re-install, copy & save to USB your directory "/home/(username)/.e/". You may be able to copy it into your newly installed system and save some headaches. However, sometimes a recycled ".e" directory doesn't like to play nice and you have to start your re-tweaking from scratch.

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#20 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

Not that I'm particularly adventurous but I always install the latest version (3, 4, and soon 5), just because I can't help myself. I'm always glad I did; every version has been better than the last. But then, my needs are simple and configuration for me is just installing a few things from the AppCenter and then an HP Printer driver. It'll be like Christmas in August!

Bob Rashkin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users