• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:25 PM

Hi,
It would be nice to have these apps available on Bodhi.
Thank you,
Val

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12599 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

Can you please post the things suggested here? http://forums.bodhil...ftware-request/

#3 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

Can you please post the things suggested here? http://forums.bodhil...ftware-request/

Hi, Jeff,

I tried to post there, but the topic seems to be locked.

Val

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12599 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

That topic details the information needed to request a new piece of software. You need to post the information that thread talks about in a new thread like this one. 

#5 doubletwist

doubletwist

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:58 AM

These apps are available already it seems? Though slightly older versions.

Would be nice to have newer versions though.

Software Name: RawTherapee

Software Homepage: http://rawtherapee.com

Requested Version: 5.2

Source Code: http://rawtherapee.c...apee-5.2.tar.xz

PPA: ppa:dhor/myway

Software Name: Digikam

Software Homepage: https://www.digikam.org/

Requested Version: 5.6.0

Source Code: https://download.kde...am-5.6.0.tar.xz

Package/PPA: ??

#6 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

Hi, guys,

I tried to install digiKam 5.7.0 on the other machines and it did not work because of the same problem. It cannot create a database.

On the positive side, digiKam 5.7.0 runs from the appimage. 

How can I make the digiKam to show up in the Graphic menu?

Thank you in advance.

Val

#7 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

Val, I found encouraging news on the digikam website -- the digikam program is still actively maintained, and they listed these steps to get support:

1. Go through the documentation.
  2. Read the FAQ
  3. Join the mailing list
  4. If you have done those steps and believe you have found a bug, use bugzilla to report it.

As a long time user there have been many instances when reading the manual could help solve the problem. To this day, newbies still ask, for example, why isn't conky reading my very own config file. This query still has a million-plus hits on search, and I can relate or understand when the developers get fatigue from repeating the same answer over and over, asking themselves, do these people even follow instructions

So now that you have installed digikam successfully on Bodhi, it is time to switch to the digikam support people, with this question you have. The Bodhi devs will be ready when you have been advised that the problem lies with the distro that you are using. You may not need to run it from the app image; this could be one of the reasons why the program cannot proceed. Why do you need the app image, when the source code can be obtained from the digikam website? I am curious about the need for special handling like this, (what is an app image; is that like special parking for the handicapped--you can tell that I did not get the memo) when a guy using Slackware or Gentoo can compile the thing and get going after a few minutes. Having been around the block, I can tell what a tar.gz file is, and what to do when it is available. All I need is access to the command line, and get to work.

Please understand that there are different approaches to the problem, and using an app image you were able to get further until you ran into an obstacle. The best people who would know where the problem is would be the digikam developer team, or a fellow Bodhi user who attempted the same thing, and can share his input through this forum. I would not want this thread to sit here idle -- really why I prefer discordia and IRC rather than forums

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#8 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hi, DOOguy,

Thank you for the advice. I've been in touch with the digiKam developers, and they actually signed off of the issue since it is specific only to Bodhi.

The digiKam main developer advised me to talk to Bodhi developers or use the digiKam as an app image.

I've successfully installed and being using digiKam on the other distros such as Linux Mint, MX 17 beta, Solus, and even of the Raspberry Pi 3.

On Bodhi Linux, I can run the digiKam 4.3.3 version but the last versions fail to install correctly (they cannot create an image database).

I've never compiled software from the source - so, this might be a skills to learn. I will have to save it till later since I have pretty tight schedule at the moment (write four educational book chapters with quickly approaching deadline, prepare presentations, and promote an international healthcare research project where I am a PI).

I will look into IRC to see what it is.

As usually, thank you for your advice.

Let's stay in touch.

Val

#9 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

Now you can put IRC on the backburner, same as learning to compile from source -- those will come in handy at a later time.

Maybe troubleshooting would be the skill required for the present. So here is what I would suggest, and running on a separate netbook/laptop might be ideal. If you can run the live version of Mint or Solus or MX17 far enough as to run digikam right up to the point where  the database gets created, go for it. I would try locating that database, noting its exact location e.g. $HOME or /usr/something-or-other, then saving a copy of the file on a stick so that when you run digikam on Bodhi the application need only add records to the file instead of creating a new file from scratch, which seems to be failing at the moment. If the application determines that the file already exists, then it merely has to add records to it.

Run digikam from terminus if you can manage that so that error or warning messages can be viewed, in addition to the messages in the system logs. 

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#10 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4702 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

If my info is correct digikam5.6 or higher uses a QT5 version of the SQL database. While Bodhi is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and those QT5 packages are not available through the regular repos. My guess is that the appimage version too assumes the presence of the needed libs for the database.

Would be interesting to see  a full dependency list for the digikam package from Mint with a working digikam 5.6 or 5.7. That might reveal what Bodhi is missing.

More over, when you install the 5.7 version using the terminal you get warnings /errors about missing stuff. Would be nice when you could copy all output during the install here to get a clue maybe.

Enjoy,

Charles

#11 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

Hi, Charles and DOOMGuy,

Charles starts talking rocket science (as per my level of Linux knowledge). His Linux kung-fu is still stronger than my Linux kung-fu.

I will just put it on my back burner, as DOOMGuy suggested.

Thanks, guys, for your input and please have a good weekend.

Val

#12 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:40 AM

If my info is correct digikam5.6 or higher uses a QT5 version of the SQL database. While Bodhi is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and those QT5 packages are not available through the regular repos. My guess is that the appimage version too assumes the presence of the needed libs for the database.

Would be interesting to see  a full dependency list for the digikam package from Mint with a working digikam 5.6 or 5.7. That might reveal what Bodhi is missing.

More over, when you install the 5.7 version using the terminal you get warnings /errors about missing stuff. Would be nice when you could copy all output during the install here to get a clue maybe.

Enjoy,

Charles

Charles, to help Val out, what would be the easiest steps to take - Val could use some hand-holding (as we often need as newer Linux users)? 

I'm willing to jump in the pit and attempt an install to assist if needed.  What commands/outputs would you need to see, etc (hand-holding :) )?  DOOMGuy's suggestions make sense too by suggesting that we have taken it as far as we can possible, and to reach out to their support lines for assistance.  I feel like there may be more we can do...and if it just isn't possible, let's uncover that.   

Thank you everyone for the assistance this far!

Cheers!

Please let me know - thank you!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.4.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 40GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#13 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

Were I able to help, I would first try to install the deb file, if it is new enough. If that is possible, start the app up and see if there are any dB issues. If no issues, report that. If you have issues, then remove the deb file and download the source. I bet the README or INSTALL file will spell out in no uncertain terms how to install from source. I believe one can pipe the screens output to a file via installation commands >> digikam_install.txt or something similar. There are likely two or three steps required to install from source. configure is usually one. It could also be something like autogen.sh. Like I mentioned earlier, the README or INSTALL should tell you the exact commands required.

Mind you, I could be horribly wrong about the >> digikam.txt suggestion

#14 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4702 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

Well, had some time to spend with this. Created a VM with Bodhi 4.4.0-64bit installed. Next went to the digikam website and downloaded the appimage file for 64 bit. In the terminal I did cd to my downloads folder, made the appimage executable and than ran it. 

chmod a+x digikam-5.7.0-01-x86-64.appimage

./digikam-5.7.0-01-x86-64.appimage

At first it would not start because it could not find a certain shared object. Well, Bodhi was missing a that because we do come with a bare minimum of applications. I found out what lib was responsible for it (libopenal1) which is part of most multiplatform music-players And after installing mplayer I could proceed.

To my surprise the (empty) database was up and running. QSQLITE is used for that. To make sure I copied some wallpapers to the picture directory in the VM and they all appeared. Made a screenshot to show how it looks:

1ynIPnh.png

NB: My databases are in the Picture folder on the same Harddisk. I've seen notes in the digikam faq that having your database on a remote server and pictures locally or vice-versa causes issues they have not yet overcome.

IMHO the digikam appimage overall is OK. And Bodhi has no real problems with it, nor with the database involved.

Enjoy,

Charles

#15 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

Well, had some time to spend with this. Created a VM with Bodhi 4.4.0-64bit installed. Next went to the digikam website and downloaded the appimage file for 64 bit. In the terminal I did cd to my downloads folder, made the appimage executable and than ran it. 

chmod a+x digikam-5.7.0-01-x86-64.appimage

./digikam-5.7.0-01-x86-64.appimage

At first it would not start because it could not find a certain shared object. Well, Bodhi was missing a that because we do come with a bare minimum of applications. I found out what lib was responsible for it (libopenal1) which is part of most multiplatform music-players And after installing mplayer I could proceed.

To my surprise the (empty) database was up and running. QSQLITE is used for that. To make sure I copied some wallpapers to the picture directory in the VM and they all appeared. Made a screenshot to show how it looks:

NB: My databases are in the Picture folder on the same Harddisk. I've seen notes in the digikam faq that having your database on a remote server and pictures locally or vice-versa causes issues they have not yet overcome.

IMHO the digikam appimage overall is OK. And Bodhi has no real problems with it, nor with the database involved.

Enjoy,

Charles

That should help and looks awesome!  Can't thank you enough for attempting this.

Charles and Birdmun - you both are excellent - I hope it helps our friend! 

vvkozmenko - keep us posted if this helps!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.4.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 40GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#16 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

Dear Charles, Birdmun, Oblio, and DOOMguy,

You, guys, are awsome.

I've followed all the steps that Charles described in his post, and digiKam 5.7.0 worked both in appimage and installation via ppa.

I do not know what exactly solved the problem - selecting SQLite as a database in the setting up or installing a multiplatform media player (I've installed the SMPlayer from the AppCenter).

Thank you, guys, again. It's a pleasure to know you all.

Val

#17 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your help. To run a clean experiment, I made a clean install of the Bodhi 4.4.0 via Parallel's Desktop on my iMac at the office.

Then, I ran the

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo apt-get update 

Then I installed the SMPlayer from the AppCenter

After that I installed digiKam 5 via the following commands

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:philip5/extra
sudo apt update
sudo apt install digikam5 

After the installation, the digiKam 5.5.0 launched and successfully created a database. It works as it is intended.

Thank you very much for pointing to that missing dependency. I would never think about it and would never figure it out on my own.

Thank you again,

Val

#18 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4702 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

Dear Val,

it's always a pleasure to help a fellow Bodhilover out of trouble.

Enjoy,

Charles

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Photo, raw, digikam, rawtherapy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users