6 replies to this topic

#1 Feneric

Feneric

Bodhi Team

• Developer
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSaugus, MA

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:16 AM

I've run into a really curious Moksha bug and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever seen it.

Once it hits, Moksha seems to start up more or less normally but in reality seems to have had issues along the way. It'll mostly work and it's still possible to invoke applications, but numerous little things will not work. The Startup Applications don't actually start. Most of the application icons don't load (at first I thought there was an application theme icon issue like was mentioned elsewhere in the forums but when this problem hits no icon themes even show up in the menu in spite of them being installed). Removing the .e folder and reinstalling all the bodhi-desktop and moksha* packages doesn't help. Nothing seems obviously out of place in the regular configuration files in either the home directories or the generic X11 areas, and I've removed / recreated quite a few of them just in case. I've also dumped all the contents of the .cache folder in case of corruption within, but no joy. I'm also not seeing anything in the logs that jumps out as unusual.

Doing a new install does clear it away, and each of the two times I've run into it in the past it coincidentally happened after a new version of Bodhi was already waiting for me anyway, so I took the easy way out. This time I'd like to get a better handle on it if at all possible and ideally see if there's a way to prevent it in the first place.

I suspect (but certainly don't know for a fact) that NoMachine (the NX remote desktop package available from NoMachine) is involved. It doesn't have a well-behaved updater, and I've noticed that in at least two of the three times this Moksha issue has hit me it's happened shortly after one of these NoMachine update attempts. My guess is that it's making some X11 configuration file tweak somewhere that's targeted to Unity but crippling to Moksha, but I've not found it yet. If so, it'd explain why the usual fixes one would try don't seem to work here.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

You could try rdesktop instead of NoMachine if it is suficient. Or try Bodhi first without NoMachine and check if the same issues occur to be sure.

Running...

Bodhi 4.2.0 64bit on a Lenovo 110s

Bodhi 4.1.0 Legacy on a Dell Latitude D505
Damn Small 4.4.10 on an old Compaq Armada 1590DT (48MB memory and 3GB harddisk and still usable for administration tasks)
A couple of Raspberry Pi 's,

Arduino' s

and MSX 1 and 2 computers

#3 Feneric

Feneric

Bodhi Team

• Developer
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSaugus, MA

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:57 AM

Unfortunately rdesktop doesn't do NX, it only seems to do RDP. The bug is such an infrequent occurrence too that getting rid of NoMachine won't necessarily prove anything, at least not in any reasonable time scale.

#4 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

You are beginning to suspect NX, but the evidence so far is circumstantial. Before we go barking up the wrong tree, why not throw a curve ball in their direction? Their home page lists the various linux distros they openly support, so throw the NX guys the obvious (rather simple) question. Which window managers are supported out-of-the-box. A loaded question, but mostly harmless. You want to investigate this lead you have, and work with these guys, but as you've admitted, it is more an annoyance. It was enough for you to post your suspicions in a forum--it was annoying enough to be labelled a bug. Annoying that you had to reset things with a reinstall. Supposing it was some other Bodhi user.

Now the ball is back in your court, it seems, but the question deserves to be asked in one other forum--and I think we have not yet picked all the right forums. Call this my '2 cents'. A problem that goes unreported makes about as much noise as that tree crashing in the forest with nobody to hear it make a sound.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

Give EFL 1.19.1 a go. 

#6 Feneric

Feneric

Bodhi Team

• Developer
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSaugus, MA

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Give EFL 1.19.1 a go. 

Yeah, that's what I'm running now. It may or may not prevent future occurrences (and I don't know how to easily reproduce it and so don't have a good way of testing it), but it doesn't fix the problem if it already exists.

You are beginning to suspect NX, but the evidence so far is circumstantial. Before we go barking up the wrong tree, why not throw a curve ball in their direction? Their home page lists the various linux distros they openly support, so throw the NX guys the obvious (rather simple) question. Which window managers are supported out-of-the-box. A loaded question, but mostly harmless. You want to investigate this lead you have, and work with these guys, but as you've admitted, it is more an annoyance. It was enough for you to post your suspicions in a forum--it was annoying enough to be labelled a bug. Annoying that you had to reset things with a reinstall. Supposing it was some other Bodhi user.

Now the ball is back in your court, it seems, but the question deserves to be asked in one other forum--and I think we have not yet picked all the right forums. Call this my '2 cents'. A problem that goes unreported makes about as much noise as that tree crashing in the forest with nobody to hear it make a sound.

Yes, I agree that it's worth sending hitting them with that basic question and did so. You can see my full question and their full answer here, but the summary is that Moksha doesn't currently make the cut (which includes GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, & Cinnamon). They did indicate that they'd look into the update sequence a bit.

Even if it is their problem I'd still be happiest if we could track it down, because if one broken updater can cause us grief, others can too. I'm realistic though and do realize that it's erratic enough and restrictive enough that we may never see anything that looks like a root cause.

#7 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1543 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

Even if it is their problem I'd still be happiest if we could track it down, because if one broken updater can cause us grief, others can too. I'm realistic though and do realize that it's erratic enough and restrictive enough that we may never see anything that looks like a root cause.

Which Linux desktops is NoMachine known to work with? Most Ubuntu software works fine with the Moksha Desktop, but the upgrader for NoMachine has problems. At best it doesn’t properly prompt for privilege, at worst it does some damage to configuration files, too.

Note I have not taken a look at this software nor is it really something I need. BUT if it is not properly prompting for sudo privilege during updates and it needs sudo rights to do the updates then most likely it is trying to use PolicyKit and  pkexec instead of gksudo (which is esudo on Bodhi).

Enlightenment and hence Bodhi need to be configured correctly in order for pkexec to work correctly, and while I have managed to get it to work I can not say I have done so 'properly' instead of hackishly. 

So my suggestion would be to look at the code of NoMachine if it is available and try to figure out how updates are working and if it is using pkexec either get that working on Bodhi and configured for NoMachine or somehow replace it with gksudo/esudo the way Jeff has did for synaptic. If it is not using pkexec then ignore all this.

Sorry this isn't a fix but merely a suggestion of what I would do first if I had the problem. As this is an issue with a third party software, I am really not wanting to add this issue to my list of stuff to work on at this moment. No offence ....

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moksha, icons, NoMachine, bug, startup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users