• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

i am install 4 on my wife's newer laptop and it is stuck on the download uodates and install 3rd party graphics etc.   is this normal - it is taking a long time and i do not hear the HD doing anything.  thank you.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

quit and restarted and it is working now - weird eh?

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

ok - i have no control of the trackpad or single clicks etc,  tried to do a search in synaptic for gpointed-devices-settings and nothing - charles suggested it for bodhi 3 ob my thinkpads.   any clues?  thanks

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4576 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:12 PM

We had a topic about gpointing-device-settings earlier this year. Maybe they made that package for 64bit only. I could not find a version for 32bit.

Will have a look at the mouse settings in Bodhi, perhaps it does something for the trackpad too.

Enjoy,

Charles

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

sorry been a long time - i cannot paste a command you had given before in terminal - how do i do that and also copy that 0 tere is no menu.  i also installed boshi 64 bit and that is what is on the trackpads too re: 64 bodhi 3.

thanks charles. i have been reading and searching old posts and have some quick notes but stuck - man.  see why i hate redoing systems.

:-)))

it also seems like i lost the systems ate the bottom of the menu to reboot or shut down etc too.  weird.

sorry 

#6 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:45 PM

Charles - forget the help - my wife wants her mint on it instead.  i hope this is not a precursor to my thinkpad upgrades.  This is disheartening.  Thanks!!!!!

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:24 AM

i would like to know how to paste and copy to and from terminology please.  it has been a while....

#8 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

Pasting to terminology should be a right click away.

I wonder if part of your whole issue was updating during install. That has been mentioned to cause issues before. As I recall, a better plan is to install and after rebooting updating.

#9 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4576 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

While in terminology you can select text by pressing the left mouse button and hoover over the text, like you would do in your daily texteditor. It will light up. Next you can right-click in an empty area and use the menu that pops up. Or use the keyboard: Shift + Ctrl + C (copy) or V (paste).

Enjoy,

Charles

#10 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

for the record, when I had a problem with the trackpad (ACER Cloudbook), on @ylee's suggestion I switched from "advanced" to "basic" in the BIOS under "pointing device".

Bob Rashkin

#11 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Thanks guys.   Yes i did select the u[date at install and it hung -then i closed out and started again and it worked.  but had issues . i also could not paste from libre office odt file the commands you - charles- gave me to run iun terminal to see what my trackpad was...  when i cntl c to copy i could not paste with cntl v. stupid me never  tried or thought about right clicking .  in other distros there was an actual menu in terminal that you had to copy and paste through.  when i had some issues - my wife was ticked and said don't mess with it and wanted another distro on it.  i was trying to get her to use bodhi.  this way we would only have bodhi on the linux laptops here at home.

i am really concerned that maybe bodhi 4 is different enough to have setup issues and user issues on my 2 thinkpads...i  had never thought of using anything else ever i like bodhi that much.

#12 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

bob never knew that either.  since i had bios setup to boot from where i needed to i never went back in.  not my favorite place to be.

#13 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Ok - really need to know this.  is redoing my total systems with 4 going to be the same as with 3?  or are there differences as to what it will take to get it working as sweetly as it is now?  thanks everyone.  i am really wanting to redo so i can get the extra years of bodhi now and not have to redo later with 5 and then maybe run into issues too so that i am forced to have to use another distro - that would bum me out.  i just feel natural using it now..

#14 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

well - i am a big fan of bodhi... but i wanted to inform you people on the development team that i have had 2 nstall issues on a higher end dell laptop yesterday and also on an older thinkpad today.  i had moksha crash a couple of times and freeze on the dell and had trackpad issues.  Today the install seemd to go good and the update went on forever and never ended.  then when i was trying to set stuff up and tweak - moksha crashed many times and there where other weird black and white semi-menu windows pop up and there was no way to shut down or restart and said moksha issues.... and could not read the rest - had to hit power button to shut it down.

wish i had more info to help you guys out but bodhi 3 had no such issues. it was seriously disconcerting since i have 2 other thinkpads that run so sweet.  not sure why all of the very strange anomalies.

#15 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

I can't be sure, but I think you'll be alright. Let's plow through this one step at a time.

Where do you sit right now with your install(s)? Let's get one working and go from there. Which version are you installing?

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#16 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

i had installed bodhi 4 - the first time on a newer better dell laptop and then my wife said put mint on it.  that was sat.  yesterday tried to do an older r500 thinkpad.  again a ton of issues and crashes, etc.  and trackpad was tapping all over and opening everything up as in the first case.  so right now - both has mint on them.  the dell i got from mysister - last year and my daughter was using it once in a while but she has a mac.  and my wife had xubuntu because it was so slow and also she knew a little about using it unlike working with yet another system like bodhi.  since my daughter wasn't really using it i wanted my wife to have a faster laptop running linux.  so that is what is going on - the r500 is just old and slow....  mint 18 cinnamon is on both now and it has some issues.  but generally works - some chromium freezes on the thinkpad.

i figured i'd do 4 so that it would be good for a longer period.  i would also see how much hassle or ease it would be to do my 2 thinkpads running 3.

spent the last 2 days redoing them a couple of times each.  so i am burnt.  plus was up all night and prtty much useless today.

I guess let me know what you suggest and we can go from there.  if we could have success i would love to get her newer dell going - but would hate to have to redo what i just finished doing over the last 2 days.....  the thinkpad would be nice too.

then - yes then it would be nice to  redo my 2 thinkpads with 4 so that is good for a couple of years more before i need to ask for help.

#17 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

actually after getting her dell working my 2 thinkpads are most important than the older thinkpad - so just the three would be sweet.  thanks sef.

the dell is so called working and tweaked but not with bodhi.

if you think we can get it all happening and get the trackpad to not click accidentally - and not get weird as it did re: moksha and other window things then let me know and i can start one more install on it.  she is happy as it is and i am ok with it but i only update it etc. for her.  i do not use it.  but would like to have 100% bodhi in the house. just let me know - i will try to start redoing it and pick at other stuff around here....

#18 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

#19 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

Let's start with one of the thinkpad's.

Do you know which kernel you were using when you had Bodhi 3 on it?

The trackpad problem could be a kernel issue, so we could possibly load the older (working) kernel onto Bodhi 4 and try it out.

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#20 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

I do not know what kernel.  also why upgrade to bodhi 4 but use and old kernel instead of the newer kernel?  i know - dumb question; but i had to ask.  Even though i really want to extend my use of bodhi by 2 more years with 4 - i hate to wreck what i got going on with the 2 that are working really well.  Maybe i will just leave them as they are and when the time runs out i may have to decide at that time 2019 as to what path to go.  I really wish i knew what most of you guys know - but it just isn't going to happen.  I appreciate your willingness to help me through it; but...after 2 exhausting days and nights... i just hate to mess them up.  sounds like there are or will be issues.  thank  you sef.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)