• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

i did not do both - only on the r500 without issues yet.  i did sef's first 2 linnes or so and the the added stuff of your.  thanks for the info on the codecs info  --- doing now.

yes this is the way it should be - i may even try to do the x220 today....wish me luck...i am pooped!

thanks for being good friends too!  if the 220 goes well when i get to it - i may even give the wife's dell a go so she can get into Bodhi.  will get back to you asap.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#122 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

After i can get these laptops under control 100% i probably should save some of this stuff and do a basic write for newbies re: install and tweaking.  I realize i am one of the dumber ones around here but i know a bit and as i said have had some issues.  Maybe that would help and maybe save some of you from doing redundant 'help me' fixes. 

#123 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Ok uninstalled stuff and added stuff i needed and tweaked a bunch of stuff and did apt-get update - more stuff was done.

still need to tweak a few things but got files transferred etc.    may try the 220 in a few minutes after taking care of the dog.

#124 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

well starting the x220

so far seems ok... trackpad actually is a little  better to than it was before.

so far so good!

#125 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

on to the dell and a bottle of my wine!  I need it,

#126 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

the install fest continues - grab a seat and a nag of popcorn!!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#127 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4576 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

on to the dell and a bottle of my wine!  I need it,

You should not drink at work Norm!

:lol:

#128 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

so far dell is ok too, just doing the trackpad stuff

doing the extra packages . just finished.- so much sweeter than the 4.1 installsssssss

#129 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

zen@zen:~$ sudo apt-get update

Fetched 306 kB in 0s (430 kB/s)
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
zen@zen:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: error: dpkg status database is locked by another process
zen@zen:~$ sudo apt-get autoremove
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
zen@zen:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The above are the errors that were supposed to be attempted to be fixed with either 

sudo apt-get install -f

or

sudo dpkg -configure -a

As you saw, the dpgk line did not help. The -f flag on the apt-get install line stands for force. You know "square peg in round hole" kind of force. :)

You didn't have eepdater opened when you were trying to update via the terminal did you? Those errors look like something when you might be trying to fiddle with the packages via two different instances. Even a second terminal in the middle of an update/install would throw errors, or , having synaptic opened while trying to do things. Just make sure you are only adding, subtracting, updating packages using only one method opened at a time.

#130 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

birdmun that was from the 4.1 and NOT 4.2 if  i was unclear.  so far 3 installs 3 different computers - 2 thinkpad x series and inspiron dell.

all ok so far and trackpad fix works too

#131 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

OK - i installed and updated the dell with the trackpad fix too,  need to tweak this and maybe my 220 a bit yet - and then i am done today.  never did 3 in one day - weird.    wanted to report back before a bit of a hiatus unless something emerges.

a super big thank you to Sef and Charles and even birdmun for their help.  Patience too!  which i am all out of in my old age.

THANK YOU!!!!!

once i finish tweaking i will feel so relived that i am good for a number of years unless one poops out and i have to redo another.

#132 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

i guess things are fine -.  thanks - maybe i can try something sef was asking me to try - maybe tomorrow am before i go out.  and he said maybe he could do a script to make the gpointing setup auto instead of manual at each boot.

sorry sef - maybe should not have said that - added pressure on you.

• sef likes this

#133 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

Neophyte help for installing Bodhi 4 Appack

I figured I'd write up some notes for helping newbies get their head around Bodhi and linux re: install. I am not going to explain every step or i would have to redo it and write as i am doing it. Most things are pretty straightforward though. Upfront, i have installed on 3 different Thinkpad models old and newer and also a Dell Inspiron. I also am using a DVD burned iso - because i like it that way and i never could get the usb stick install to work. Maybe it was the actual creation on the stupid stick - just do not know or recall. the 3 TP's i had an external usb drive and the dell had a DVD drive in it.

First of all i ran the live to get access to wifi and i hit the do not lock blank screen under menu >settings> settings panel>screen. I also do the presentation Mode via settings>modes. presentation. Once i got that set and wifi connected I installed,

first of all do not use the 4.1 if you have it - burn the newest one. mine was 4.1 at the time i burned. the 2 installs glitched badly when i used the install updates and codecs, etc. with the install. The 3rd time i just did the codecs and worked but i later had a couple of issues. When I first used the Bodhi 4.2 iso i installed with choosing the 2 options. it worked nicely in all 3 cases. where i had moksha issues and freezes and even wifi connection issues; i did not in the proper 4 installation. do the installation and follow the instructions. i do not mess with partitioning because of multiple past issues and plain dumbness/stupidity. when the installation completes remove the DVD or usb drive and i waited about 30: and hit enter. It rebooted and voila - it happens. Bodhi!

I then redo the same presentation and screen lock stuff and then in terminal do

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gconf2 man-db desktop-file-utils mime-support menu

mkdir debs

cd debs

wget http://launchpadlibr...untu2_amd64.deb

wget http://launchpadlibr...untu2_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i libgpds0_1.5.1-6ubuntu2_amd64.deb gpointing-device-settings_1.5.1-6ubuntu2_amd64.deb

this uodates everything, and the for laptop users gets you to a fix for installing gpoined-devices - for trackpad usability.

I then ran

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

which are the extras and codecs not installed at original install.

i then ran synaptic to remove some of the stuff in appack and also added what i needed. I also used the Bodhi appcenter via midori - was told it only worked in midori though i only use chromium exclusively! the do another

sudo apt-get update to update all new stuff/apps/packages added.

from there you can tweak all of the different apps and settings and windows etc.

Hope this helps!

#134 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

i see that the email links in chromium/bodhi4 seem to work now too.  in the past when there was a link on a website for contact someone...  you had to right click and copy and ten paste it into the email send to line.  yesterday i found out it opens an email as it should.  that is a fix!

so far i am impressed by the new Bodhi 4!  Nice work to all of the people behind the scenes.  Wish i knew the technical stuff and coding to help out; just don't have that skill set.  a frustrating element for me.  congrats guys!

#135 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

well so far so good on my 2 thinkpads which i have run everyday.  The dell i used a few times to check it since my wife has had no time to try to get into bodhi.  and the r500 seems to work but it is slow.

So thanks you to you all who had more patience than i have to get me through this stuff.  We are 100% Bodhi in the house and we are good for the next 4 yrs or a bit less.  I really hated to leave bodhi and i really feel comfortable using Bodhi.  Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)