Photo

Hello from old (Linux) new (Bodhi) user.

introduction cal calinb

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 calinb

calinb

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

I've been a GNU/Linux user since the early Slackware and Red Hat days. I've run a wide variety of distros through the years (including Gentoo, which would probably still be my choice, if low-cost high speed Internet were available to me in the woods where I now live, having escaped my qubicle a couple of years ago). Now I mostly desire an OS that I can just install, configure, and forget for many years without having to do much anything other than visit a public library for Internet bits for updates every week or month or so or a new proggy package that interests me.

I also tend to run old hardware these days and my Samsung N145 Plus daily driver was acting quite long in the tooth with Ubuntu Unity (not surprising) and so I've decided to revist more minimlist and light weight options. So far I've installed the latest WattOS and Peppermint offerings. I really liked WattOS R10, but my Qualcom wireless adapter would occassionally drop my connection to my Moto G4 Plus smartphone hotspot (ATT service) and I'm not yet willing to invest the time needed to fix one of these pesky wifi adapter / driver issues. (They are sadly common, given the preponderance of proprietary wifi "intellectual property" in the computer industry!)

~ $ lspci | grep -i wireless

05:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Unlike the past, I could not get my wifi adapter to reconnect in WattOS by running ifconfig or toggling the panel GUI switch on and off. On the other hand, Peppermint has been bombproof in this respect, but I'm not completely enamored with Peppermint and I'm still looking for the right choice for myself so I will install Bodhi next.

A quality forum community and support is a big part of my choice so, quite honestly, that's why I'm introducing myself now--before I even bother to visit the public library in town to download the Bodhi .iso!

-Cal

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Well give it a try. Welcome to Bodhi! 

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#3 calinb

calinb

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Well give it a try. Welcome to Bodhi!

Thank you for such a prompt and welcoming message! I am certainly looking forward to installing Bodhi and I appreciate the opportunity to both leverage and contribute to this resource (the Bodhi forum) right from the beginning of my adventure!

Best Regards,

-Cal

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1077 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

i know squat - sounds like you know - do it and try it.  welcome!

#5 calinb

calinb

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:29 AM

i know squat - sounds like you know - do it and try it.  welcome!

Well I've forgotten more than I know about GNU/Linux...not because I knew a lot but rather because of my aging memory.  :unsure: 

Thanks for the welcome, graywizardlinux!

#6 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 332 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:52 AM

Welcome, good to have you sir!

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

---------------------------------------------------

"That's not how the force works..."  -- Han Solo

#7 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Welcome, calinb, hope you find Bodhi to your liking.  My one pre-installation recommendation would be to read Jeff's and Charles' material on setting up a separate data partition. It was pretty easy to do and seems likely to be a long-term time saver.

You can find the relevant links in this post of mine.  http://forums.bodhil...w-installation/

Have fun.

#8 cordx

cordx

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Locationsatx

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:55 AM

Welcome, calinb, hope you find Bodhi to your liking.  My one pre-installation recommendation would be to read Jeff's and Charles' material on setting up a separate data partition. It was pretty easy to do and seems likely to be a long-term time saver.

You can find the relevant links in this post of mine.  http://forums.bodhil...w-installation/

Have fun.

thank you so much for bringing those posts back to light. i had vaguely seen some info on this, but lost it in my list of "must bookmark everything!" :)

#9 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

thank you so much for bringing those posts back to light. i had vaguely seen some info on this, but lost it in my list of "must bookmark everything!" :)

Yeah, bookmarking only gets you so far. I make a lot of use of web forums' capabilities to reconnect me to my previous posts.

OTOH I wrote a comment to something on FB I'd love to have kept a copy of but all my attempts to re-locate it have gone for naught!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users