Photo

Can Bodhi decently revive 15 years old computers?

legacy old computers efficiency

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

Answer is yeap! Bodhi 4.2 32bit Legacy brings out quite a decent multi-tasking experience to users of the computers we refurbish at the city DIY house. Here's a short video that tries to showcase what the OS allows on the desktop, with the default kernel (and applications settings for most). Thought it'd be fair to share it with you guys but please note titles are in French:

https://youtu.be/dgg...mc9FY0qoT0PjDgM

Computer is an AMD Athlon XP 1.5GHZ (no SSE2 !) with 500 MB RAM, 60 GB HDD and a 32 MB graphic card :))) A few kernels (e.g. linux-ck) are under test as well as settings (e.g. the kernel virtual memory stack). Athlon XP-class PCs are amongst the slowest we've got...

Moreover, I've seen no slowdown at all coming from 3.2 :) Kuddos Jeff and the volunteers!! To quote a fellow forum member:

Companies that aren't acclimated to the open source ecosystem dismiss legacy support more and more. They're used to the Windows® world where you can't have a functional computer for more than a couple years before you need to replace it. So the idea of a computer that's a decade old being used as a daily machine is foreign to them... they see it as a waste of resources to bother to support it, because of course profit drives all.

Yeap! Now let's keep making use of this situation for our « profit » i.e. human and technical :)

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi v4.2 Legacy: 3.50 GiB up to now.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:42 AM

Bodhi run fine on my Pentium 4, which have been used since 1998. ;)

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

For folks on a budget where a computer really isn't a must-have but has been placed as a nice-to-have instead, maybe you don't need a speed demon desktop with all the bells and whistles. I don't even have to settle for a netbook, although there is nothing wrong with that. But why, when just a casual glance through the online ads yields a bunch of used Thinkpads and Dells from businesses or individuals who have found them unable to run Version 10 fast enough. Somebody was willing to part with a laptop for $75, as an example. And for $50 a person can get a complete desktop that was good enough for corporate. These folks are stuck in the "upgrade cycle" which is really analogous to a hamster running on his spinning wheel.

Now we can look at these items with  a more discerning eye, knowing what we know: you don't really need a lot. For some of us a fast connection is all we really need to get started. For a few of us, a fat pipe and a 4G stick will get more results. XP expired/EOL? That's okay, make it run something better.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Can Bodhi decently revive 15 years old computers?
Answer is yeap!

Uh-oh, does this mean we're going to be the target of the Redmond machine some time soon for hacking into their profits ???

Let me get my tin-foil hat!  :ph34r: :) 

Of course I'm kidding, in all actuality, I'm very glad that people are able to save some $$$ or help others with Bodhi Linux. One of the reasons I love it so much.

Would not be possible without all the hard work of the Ubuntu people too.

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

---------------------------------------------------

"That's not how the force works..."

#5 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

As for Redmond's businessmen and their devs. Well let 'em dive into adapting their bling bling OS for chromebook-like, low-profile portable machines. Should keep 'em busy for a while ^_^

Actually the first video screens I shared are wrong. The virtual engine I used keeps letting the guest OS accessing the host's CPU instructions: newer mpv and Palemoon do require SSE2. It's a change from Bodhi 3 (Ubuntu 14.04) where everything handily run on SSE-only machines per default. Note that CPU speed, memory and I/O speed are those of the 15 years old computer though.

But wait a minute! As soon I realized that I went on the physical PC where we replicate the vm' OS and apps, and searched for replacements. Thanks to the open source nature of all the apps we use that didn't take long: In a day we were able to run the very same multi-tasking scenario on the 2002 Athlon XP 1.7 ghz 500 MB RAM integrated graphics old machine :) Just using mplayer in place of mpv, and Palemoon SSE-only.

@BeGo Pentium 4 were launched in 2001 ^^

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi v4.2 Legacy: 3.50 GiB up to now.

#6 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

By 2003 most consumer machines were already Windows XP compatible. The gap between 1995 and 2002 is huge imho, because most people in 1995 were without the internet and running at most on Windows 3.1. If machines are that old, I would discourage one from wasting Bodhi Linux on those 20th century devices. By 2002 Windows 98 was quite common, it may not suffice going online watching Youtube with those machines, but they would at least be 586 somewhat. I don't think any machine newer than 2003 is even a Pentium 586, iirc by 2004 there was already a laptop trend and at least 1Gb RAM with a 32bit processor that can decently run Bodhi Legacy 32 bit version.

From 2005-2008 onwards people were quite disillusioned with "faster is better", so what they did was shrinking the 32bit into Intel Atom netbooks, etc. In summary, most devices from 2002 till present day that have at least a 32 bit or even 64 bit processor are perhaps worthy a try running Bodhi Linux. Just my personal opinion. :P

Son. Student. Citizen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: legacy, old computers, efficiency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users