• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

Since we now have e21 in our testing repo, I am opening this thread for a general discussion of e21, new features you like, problems you have. potential bugs you notice and so on.

I tried e21 over another distro last week and it was ok - connected but many apps i like were not available.  also when the wifi was connected it did not show.  said it needed Econnman and couldn't install it --- did find it later on but my knowing squat i did not get into it.  It seemed Ok.  but i am a a very low level to you guys.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

not to be blaspheemous - but i should clarify a bit.  i tried e21 over mint cinnamon.  as i said some stuff just wasn;t there re: various controls or modules maybe etc.  I also tried the 12/14/16 version of e from pclinuxos.  that was quite nice - but had trackpad issues. If I was forced to and they could get the trackpad issue fixed - that might be a possibility if bodhi wasn't in existence.  not sure of the support and not sure how long term this version is and no one there would give me an answer.  To me - Bodhi is so much more refined and complete.  Just my opinion.

#3 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1574 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

I tried e21 over another distro last week and it was ok - connected but many apps i like were not available.  also when the wifi was connected it did not show.  said it needed Econnman and couldn't install it --- did find it later on but my knowing squat i did not get into it.  It seemed Ok.  but i am a a very low level to you guys.

All apps that work on moksha will work on e21 (in theory)  with the exception of modules. Modules have to be compiled against the version of enlightenment that is installed. Moksha here counts as a version of enlightenment for this.

Anyway, if you want the wifi/network icon to be displayed in e21 like it is in Bodhi using moskha then you need to add the system tray to a shelf and then add nm-applet to enlightenments startup programs. Off hand I think nm-applet shows up in the application list as Network. Nothing to it.

To switch to another network manager like connman and econnman or something else is a more involved process and I am not going into that here lol

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

Thanks - i am most happy with bodhi.  I just figured I'd give a look see.

#5 sixtharmy

sixtharmy

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

I've also been trying e21 with ylee's modules. I believe there's a problem with the systray under e21. I usually put the systray on a self hiding shelf in the top left hand corner of my screen. Under e21 if I position it there I can right click on the shelf and get a drop down with systray, shelf, and begin moving gadgets entries. Expanding the systray entry reveals the expected automatic scroll contents, look, etc. entries. However, no icons ever appear in the tray. Like graywizardlinux my network icon disappears. The nm-applet is in my startup list and HTOP shows that it is running, but no icon appears in the systray. However, If I restart enlightenment I find that the network Icon is revealed on the desktop in the top left corner when the top left shelf retracts to the hidden position. This icon on the desktop is functional and executes the proper drop down on a left click and properly controls network connections. Neither Systray nor any other gadget show as selected under the Layer Configuration of the Background or Overlay Layers. My password keeper (keepassXC) allows me to minimize it to the systray. If I select this option the keepass icon appears superimposed directly over the network icon on the desktop, but not in the systray on the shelf. As you might surmise I've been playing with this for a while now.

#6 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1574 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Enlightenments systray module has always been buggy, sadly. I have noted similar issues myself. There is a newer version of enlightenment now tho but I wouldn't expect these issues to be fixed. From what I gather e development has been on a new module Bryce which among other things is expected to have the potential to replace the systray so I doubt i could even interest any e-devs into looking into this issue :(

The systray is obsolete in their minds and that is paraphrasing a lot a talk I had with Raster on systray issues.  I could perhaps look into it myself but I don't know alot about how the systray works and underlying libraries it uses. Plus it seems I can't even catch up on other tasks I am trying to accomplish. 

So I am not really sure what to tell you sixtharmy other than I would expect there to be less problems on a non hidden shelf. But still I have noted issues even then. And of course no problems if you don't use apps that rely on the systray. Neither of those are really great advice.

For the record tho at some point I am going to try to update both elf and enlightenment in the testing repo. I am waiting for efl and python-efl to be 'stable' enough. And by try to I mean if updating efl doesn't do serious breakage to our current set of efl apps. If it does break our current set of efl apps then updating efl will have to be delayed until we (mostly me) deals with the issues caused.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#7 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1614 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

I am not sure we want to fight with E21 systray module. It supports libappindicator protocol while E17/Moksha supports Xembed but it is buggy as hell. It means I can not see all apps icons on the tray in E21. I spent some time hacking E17 systray but it was over my skills that time. Maybe one day I will go back to that work. It still sits on my TODO list.

#8 sixtharmy

sixtharmy

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate your diligence and understand your reluctance to deal with the buggy systray.  Except for the nm-applet/systray problem e-21 seems to work pretty well. For the moment I just restart enlightenment once to get the nm icon to show up on the desktop, though oddly now and again nm will show up in that corner of the desktop without the restart. The Bryce thing seems to work pretty well too, but at the moment it will only contains a start menu drop down icon and a digital clock. At any rate, e21 works well enough that going back to e17/moksha seems like too much trouble. Thanks again for your hard work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e21

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users