5 replies to this topic

#1 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4472 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

People that were used to have gpointing settings to change the touchpad settings will have noticed that it is no longer available in the ubuntu 16.04 repos. The package maintainers seem to have stopped working on it.

The package for ubuntu 15-10 is stil available on launchpad and is with some extra work in terminal working in 16.04 /Bodhi 4.

mkdir debs
cd debs
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/128621862/gpointing-device-settings_1.5.1-6ubuntu2_amd64.deb
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/128621864/libgpds0_1.5.1-6ubuntu2_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libgpds0_1.5.1-6ubuntu2_amd64.deb gpointing-device-settings_1.5.1-6ubuntu2_amd64.deb
cd

In case of errors run
sudo apt-get install -f #(will correct missing dependencies)
sudo dpkg --configure -a #(should configure packages that were not fully installed/configured)

Now you should have gpointing-device-settings in the menu under preferences, ready to use.

Thanks to the Bodhi developer team, especially <sef> for working this out.

Enjoy,

Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

I am most grateful you posted this!  Thanks Charles.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:13 AM

Does this package recreate and dependency conflicts on the system when you install it? If not we can just add it to the bodhi repos directly. 

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4472 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

In Zesty the package is in the ubuntu repos again, now at version 1.6.0. The missing libgpds0 is there too at version 1.6.0. I doubt they really have changed anything except for the packaging that might not have passed the tests for xenial and yakkety.

So far no sign of breaking stuff. Seems one setting is not working as it requires the presence of gnome.org services which we don't have afaik. Maybe not starting with the user settings enabled is related to that too.

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#5 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 283 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Does this package recreate and dependency conflicts on the system when you install it? If not we can just add it to the bodhi repos directly. 

I have it installed and no issues with apt or dpkg dependencies. Only thing is, I had to install these packages first --

sudo apt-get install gconf2 man-db desktop-file-utils mime-support menu

Then I installed it just like Charles mentions above.

Package 'libgpds0' must be installed before 'gpointing-device-settings'.

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle, or as finished as it seems in the end.

#6 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

not sure what you guys are talking about re: the depth and specifics - but i depend on this greatly - and so far following the correct instructions i have not had any issues.  i just have to uncheck and recheck one box when i start my laptops to control the curos and trackpads from clicking open 100 windows and settings accidentally.  so for me i see no problems at all.  just a user's comments re: subject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users