I have an idea for an Arduino project but need to know if it's feasible

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bwbritt86

bwbritt86

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:52 AM

Lately we've seen news reports of children being left in cars in the heat just from plain forgetfulness.

I was thinking of making a device that will prevent this from happening:
► First the device is connected to a child seat, with the seat belt acting as a closing circuit. The circuit would tell the device when a child is in the seat.
► When you turn on the car the device then automatically connects to a smartphone through Bluetooth, and also acts a bridge between the stereo and the phone so they don't lose the capability to connect their phone to their stereo.
► When the car shuts off the arduino will sense the stereo's Bluetooth connection being shut off and the device will stay on for an extended period of time through battery power; it will also send a signal to an app on the phone saying the car is off.
► When the seat belt is unfastened (circuit open) and the child is out of the seat it will send a signal to the phone saying all is fine. If the circuit stays closed and the person walks away to the car to the point where the Bluetooth connection is lost an app on the phone makes a siren sound, overriding the phone's silent mode if it's on, saying that the child is still in the car.
► If the person ignores it and walks off, after a certain time-lapse (still figuring that out) the arduino uses a GPS module to gather location data, then uses a text-to-speech module and cellular module to contact 911 with a message saying a child was left in a car and gives the location from the GPS module.

I may need several arduinos to pull this off. At the minimum 2 bluetooth modules, a GPS module (waveshare), text to speech module (Emic 2) since texting to 911 is still not available in most areas, a GSM cellular module (GSM Shield 2), and a rechargeable battery that can handle excess heat; plus whatever hardware I need to make the seat belt act as a circuit switch. I may even add a pressure switch that would go in the seat for good measure.

I'm still figuring out what should happen if the person leaves their phone in the car though.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:28 AM

Just completed a brief web-based course on Arduino & Scratch but it is too simple assessing whether Arduino can achieve the above. Still, ain't here in a discouraging capacity, perhaps assuming that the intention is genuinely kindred and well motivated, why not just give this a prototyping? After all the above is of a similar scale as what many students would build if they were in school with a decent electronics laboratory. :wub:

Son. Student. Citizen.

#3 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:11 AM

Your project plausible, and part of it already implemented.

ABOUT THE CONCEPT

There some error in concept; When deisigning a solution, remember to always pick the most elegant / easiest route, or, as We call it, KISS principle.

I'll explain along the way. ;)

"First the device is connected to a child seat, with the seat belt acting as a closing circuit. The circuit would tell the device when a child is in the seat."

This true for toddler. For babies, we bring them with the chair included, to be attached on the stroller. While your idea can be implemented as pressure or Doppler switch, I am at loss to define where should the switch placed. :D

"When you turn on the car the device then automatically connects to a smartphone through Bluetooth, and also acts a bridge between the stereo and the phone so they don't lose the capability to connect their phone to their stereo."

What use of this anyway? It is not like the baby is in the backside of a really long bus and Mom is the bus driver, is that connection to her phone needed. :(

Simple message "don't forget your baby" when GPS stationary (Waze using it) is fine

"When the car shuts off the arduino will sense the stereo's Bluetooth connection being shut off and the device will stay on for an extended period of time through battery power; it will also send a signal to an app on the phone saying the car is off."

Again, why say the obvious? :D

"If the person ignores it and walks off, after a certain time-lapse (still figuring that out) the arduino uses a GPS module to gather location data, then uses a text-to-speech module and cellular module to contact 911 with a message saying a child was left in a car and gives the location from the GPS module."

If I am not mistaken, there a project in Japan, and we also done it in lab level in Indonesia, to give panic buttons to elders nearby, which, when pressed, and not pressed again after 10 s, shall call for predetermined panic contack, like Their physician. 

MY SUGGESTION

a bluetooth receiver attached to the toddler body, like a watch, that connected to Mom smart phone, that give signal when separated more than 7 m, is elegant enough to answer baby in the car problems. Any other features can be attached from this simple idea. ;)

Lately we've seen news reports of children being left in cars in the heat just from plain forgetfulness.

I was thinking of making a device that will prevent this from happening:
► First the device is connected to a child seat, with the seat belt acting as a closing circuit. The circuit would tell the device when a child is in the seat.
► When you turn on the car the device then automatically connects to a smartphone through Bluetooth, and also acts a bridge between the stereo and the phone so they don't lose the capability to connect their phone to their stereo.
► When the car shuts off the arduino will sense the stereo's Bluetooth connection being shut off and the device will stay on for an extended period of time through battery power; it will also send a signal to an app on the phone saying the car is off.
► When the seat belt is unfastened (circuit open) and the child is out of the seat it will send a signal to the phone saying all is fine. If the circuit stays closed and the person walks away to the car to the point where the Bluetooth connection is lost an app on the phone makes a siren sound, overriding the phone's silent mode if it's on, saying that the child is still in the car.
► If the person ignores it and walks off, after a certain time-lapse (still figuring that out) the arduino uses a GPS module to gather location data, then uses a text-to-speech module and cellular module to contact 911 with a message saying a child was left in a car and gives the location from the GPS module.

I may need several arduinos to pull this off. At the minimum 2 bluetooth modules, a GPS module (waveshare), text to speech module (Emic 2) since texting to 911 is still not available in most areas, a GSM cellular module (GSM Shield 2), and a rechargeable battery that can handle excess heat; plus whatever hardware I need to make the seat belt act as a circuit switch. I may even add a pressure switch that would go in the seat for good measure.

I'm still figuring out what should happen if the person leaves their phone in the car though.

#4 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

This is a problem for another time (or another thread)

It is important to stay focused on the original purpose of this project. Once you go off on a tangent, you will experience what other projects have been through. I have heard of terms like feature creep, bloat, and so on. Right now, we will stay on Don't leave the baby in the car!

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#5 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

Exactly!  Never leave your kids alone in the car. Always keep young kids in sight!

Running...

Bodhi 4.3.1 64bit on a Lenovo 110s

Bodhi 4.1.0 Legacy on a Dell Latitude D505
Damn Small 4.4.10 on an old Compaq Armada 1590DT (48MB memory and 3GB harddisk and still usable for administration tasks)
A couple of Raspberry Pi 's,

Arduino' s

and MSX 1 and 2 computers

#6 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

If the problem is people forgetting they have one or more kids in the back seat (something my own kids NEVER let me do), I heard of a woman who took off 1 shoe and put it in the back every time she got in the car. That way she had to at least look back there. Old school, I know, but I think it's an elegant solution.

• sef likes this
Bob Rashkin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users