• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:09 AM

man i am exhausted - i just saw that i missed stuff in the commands and i should have reread more parts of this thread re: the help you guys offered.  will try again tomorrow when i get some time.  sorry.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#42 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

You copied and pasted a literal post I made. :P

cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTotal

The first one tells you all kinds of information about your processor. Most importantly what make and model it is. It will not tell you what frequency it runs at. My AMD processor is only listed as a make and model without the speed being listed. The second line will list specifically how much RAM is in your system in kB. You could leave off everything following the pipe | and get a whole different list of memory info about your system. Most would likely make your eyes glaze over. :)

Your issue with the lshw -c p.e. network was that p.e. is not part of the class name. Just type lshw -c network or lshw -c memory or ...

#43 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4558 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Try

sudo lshw -short

to get an overview of your hardware.

to get detailed info about a specific type of hardware

sudo lshw -c name-of-class

replace name-of-class with the class as provided by the first command, p.e network

Don't copy/paste things blindly. READ FIRST and UNDERSTAND.

I wrote: replace name-of-class with the class as provided by the first command, p.e network Doesn't p.e. stand for "per example" in your language?  I was referring to the first command in that post which provided the classnames, like birdmun clearly explained in post #33. I'm not going to do that again. Those classes were in the lshw outcome you just posted but you seem to have missed the column headers completely. Again, read it all and don't skip parts of it.

Oh, I have added code tags to your post to make the lshw outcome look like on your display. 

#44 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4558 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

man i am exhausted - i just saw that i missed stuff in the commands and i should have reread more parts of this thread re: the help you guys offered.  will try again tomorrow when i get some time.  sorry.

Just read that, after sending my previous post. Glad you discovered this yourself first.  :)

#45 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

thanks and sorry to tick you off  i still don't get a lot of what you guys talk about.  dense when it comes to math and also computer stuff.

edit: i will try to ask minimal questions and stay rather low profile from now on.  

#46 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

If you don't ask questions, you will miss out on information that will make your computer usage easier. Also, maybe your questions will help answer other people's questions.

I wondered where the p.e. came from. I don't know that I would have managed to figure out p.e. meant per example. :)

#47 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

i know  - thanks birdmun - but ir sounds lately like i have been getting under charles skin and i like him a lot.

I know a lot of certain stuff but math and computer language stuff i am dumb as nails as they say.  i have used high end music production and creation software and have done miraculous stuff re: cd and sound designs and production and mastering with about 1 hr of help from the head guy ad motu.  i figured everything else out for my needs and all of the other apps i had used.  oriental philosophy and native american stuff and anthropological stuff i get - but CLI i am a numb nuts.  I  can grow stuff and build stuff and repair some stuff and work equipment etc.  but the backend of software/os etc.  it is a vast black hole for me.

i also never heard of p.e. either.

#48 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4558 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

That's what you get from speaking 7 languages. French is p.e. and English is e.g. so it's my mistake.

Nobody is getting under my skin, but I was serious about the sloppy reading. That and typos are causing issues too often when using the CLI. Believe me, this is from experience.

Enjoy,

Charles.

#49 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

my arthritis is so bad for 30 yrs now and in chronic pain in 30 parts of my body 24 hrs a day that is why i have note been able to do my career in most of those years and like i was joking before to ylee - glad i do not write code or my dyslexic finger would be writing some pretty wicked stuff.  that is why i never capitalize and esp. beginning of sentences. to many keys to deal with.  years ago people thought i was a coder.  heh heh.

off note this is the only forum i deal with and not really a fan of forums for so many reasons.  so it must say something for you people here.  Only thing is - i am not to the level of 90% of the people here or more.  been interested in linux since i first heard linus talk about it at the reveal back in the early 90's.  i remember exactly wher i ws and what i was doing when i first heard of it.  but my wife goes - no way you will get into that one you know squat about computers and that was in the old ms-dos days i believe too.  i remember the 2 floppies you needed and the basic code to do your stuff.  as i do not know the backend of linux people do not know the backend to my story and medical garbage.

:-))))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users