Photo

Where is Apache-OpenOffice?

Best Answer HowardJ, 05 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

It's all there Jeff, I have just done it myself.  I downloaded the AOO 4.1.3 version for debian, extracted it, and assuming that the main program was correctly installed went straight to the desktop-integration folder in en-US/DEBS and typed in the commands found on the web:(https://tecadmin.net...-ubuntu-debian/)

# cd desktop-integration/
# sudo dpkg -i openoffice4.0-debian-menus*.deb

All OpenOffice files are now in my menus. 

Can't you add this to your installation procedure?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HowardJ

HowardJ

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSt John's, Newfoundland

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

I am trying Bodhi as an alternative to PCLinuxOS which I have been using for many years as PCLOS does not support the touchpad on my new ASUS laptop.

All I want is an OS that will run my three main programs: Firefox, Thunderbird and Apache OpenOffice.  (LibreOffice will not do as I have been using OO since around 2000 when it was Star Office 5.2 and some of my more complex material would require extensive re-formatting for LO)

Apache_OpenOffice is listed in the App centre, but unavailable.  WHY?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1657 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

It is in the app center but working only with Bodhi Linux 3.x. and installing is possible with Midori browser.

Make a SW request on the forum and we will add it to the repository after some testings

If you want to install on your own risk, follow this link

https://www.openoffi...load/index.html

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

libreoffice is the new better office suite - at least in my opinion.  I believe there still is some type of open office going - but i have not ket up with it since i heard development was more than lethargic.  there should not be that much difference in them and depending on what files format you saved them in - that might be a problem as you say.  i used neooffice on the macs from day 1 and then went to libreoffice when they took over development of open office and and have since used them in linux exclusively with no glitches and i have my files still from my mac which i use.

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

ah stefan - beat me to it - i was just going to add that.

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

by the way - welcome and shich asus did you get?  i have my eye on one....

p.s. what did you try for trackpad in pclinuxos?

someone a while back told me about touchfreeze???/ or some such thing if my memory serves me correctly.  but that was in e that i know of.  however i never tried it to see if it did work.

#6 HowardJ

HowardJ

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thanks guys.  PCLOS doesn't have it either so I'm used to installing it myself.  Maybe It's loyalty or conservatism, but I have looked at LibreOffice and found it doesn't suit me.  The development of OO is deliberately more conservative.  (By the way LO didn't "take over" OO, it forked from it to make a version more like Word - which is a strike against for me!).  I edit a small local botanical magazine which has a lot of embedded pictures, and they just don't show up in the right places when I load them into LO.  There are problems even with OO, but I've learned all the tricks to cope - and as they say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks".  Maybe I should be using a publishing program, but since I can do it with OO why go to the trouble of learning a whole new program at my age.

My Asus is Zenbook UX305.  Since it has a relatively small memory I need something fairly light.  I removed W10 altogether - not quite intentionally, but I haven't missed it.  I have two partitions of about 20 GB for OSs and the rest is split into one ext4 and one fat32.  These have all my data, which is accessed from either OS by way of symbolic links.  This mimics my "desktop", where one of the OSs is W10 (hardly ever used) and can only access the fat32 partition.  E.g my Thunderbird profile is in the W10 partition but accessed from the PCLOS installation via a symbolic link - so they are both looking at exactly the same e-mails etc.  I don't use the zenbook much it's mainly to back up my files, and for its portability.  One problem is that with 1080p HD resolution squeezed down to 13" the text is rather small, and I don't know how to enlarge it except on a one by one basis.

I originally was an elementary UNIX user on mainframes, so LINUX was familiar.  I'm used to distros that have a proper root account, so SUDO is new to me, but I'm prepared to learn.  Basically I want an OS that does what I want, not one that tells me what I ought to want!

I shall have more questions.

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

sorry - you are right re: forked.  i am not always the most eloquent here.

the 305 now the 330 is what i was looking at.

#8 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

have you checked out scribus!!!!! a lot of main publishing people use it even linux voice before they merged with another linux site used it for their mag publishing

#9 HowardJ

HowardJ

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Sorry I edited my reply while you were replying - the link I put in didn't work.  I tried to pre-empt that remark about scribus!

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

The appcenter should now work for installing open office. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for reporting the broken link. 

#11 HowardJ

HowardJ

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Jeff.  I've installed it, but cannot find it in the menus.  I tried to open a .odt file, but it asked for a default application and OO isn't there to select.

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

You need to manually launch it from /opt

These are the official openoffice.org packages - lordy they are terrible. They don't install launchers or executable to any of the right places for standard Linux stuff. I'll have to see if I can find time to make them sane / user friendly for folks later this week if I get time.

In the mean time - use LibreOffice if you need launchers installed automatically. Their packages don't suck. 

#13 HowardJ

HowardJ

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Curious Jeff.  I never had any difficulty adding it to the PCLinuxOS menus (a Mandriva fork) are you sure the right files are not there?  I should have thought there would be the right ones for Ubuntu.

#14 HowardJ

HowardJ

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:14 PM   Best Answer

It's all there Jeff, I have just done it myself.  I downloaded the AOO 4.1.3 version for debian, extracted it, and assuming that the main program was correctly installed went straight to the desktop-integration folder in en-US/DEBS and typed in the commands found on the web:(https://tecadmin.net...-ubuntu-debian/)

# cd desktop-integration/
# sudo dpkg -i openoffice4.0-debian-menus*.deb

All OpenOffice files are now in my menus. 

Can't you add this to your installation procedure?

#15 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

I'll get that added to install automatically. Didn't realize they had a random sub-folder in there when I added the rest of the packages. No idea why that is needed, but glad it is there I suppose. 

#16 HowardJ

HowardJ

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

I think it's done this way as different distros using the same AOO version (rpm or deb)  have different menu setups .  It's always been like this for as long as I can remember.  But it's the first time I've had to use the deb option.

#17 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

Bodhi package will automatically install desktop integration now. 

#18 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

I really forgot that

openoffice4.0-debian-menus

Conflict with

libreoffice-common

I suppose no way to install OpenOffice alongside LibreOffice

:wacko: