Photo

[Solved] how to remove desktop folder/icon in my home folder

Best Answer ylee, 08 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

in bodhi 4 - is there a way - i deleted it and it comes back.  i just see no need to have it there.  never used it from there before .  that is with the pics, download, documents etc. folders.  right hand side of the window.if not possible that is fine - looked into views etc.  and tried to find a place oto maybe uncheck it from showing.  no luck

Linux having it's roots in Unix is essentially command line based. GUIs DE's and the like were added latter. But regardless in traditional Unix philosophy most things are handled by a configuration file. In this case take a look at the file ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs.

It's basically a system folder. Doubt you can remove it.

Seeing is believing:

mkdir ~/.local/desktop
mv ~/Desktop/* ~/.local/desktop/
rmdir ~/Desktop
sed -i 's/Desktop/.local\/desktop/g' ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

Now log out and log back in. Open a terminal and list (ls) the contents of your home Folder and you will note Desktop is gone. Well hidden in ~/.local/desktop.

To make it not display in the left panel of PcManFm, in PcManFm's menu click Edit->Preferences and then click Layout in the Preferences window. Uncheck Desktop under Show in Places. If you use some other file manager look thru Preferences or Options or consult the user documentation for the program.

Now you can go on as if the Desktop folder doesn't exist.

NOTE: There are multiple ways to achieve this end result, what is given here I have decided is the simplist and safest. I leave a Desktop folder hidden under ~/.local because some apps may use the $XDG_DESKTOP_DIR variable and it needs to be defined for that reason. 

Go to the full post