Photo

Simple update to system

Lost network connectivity

Best Answer moondoggers, 14 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

All is back to normal, sort of. Had a back-up drive to retrieve my data though not all was lre-loaded as this distro 4.2.0 was different from my system 4.0.0 mine being 4.2.0  via upgrades and probably various apps that I have not installed as yet.

Thank you all for the help.

Regards, Martin

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 moondoggers

moondoggers

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:52 AM

Was doing the regular updates in terminal with this command: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade , all went well with the update so I rebooted and upon reboot network connection was disconnected . Went to package manager to see about broken packages none found so I went back to a term window with same command for update and found 3 packages not installed during the intial apdate before reboot, apache2,apache2-bin,apache2-data though there was still no network so the update failed. Is there a fix using the BODHI Live CD or .....

BTW I am booted up with the live cd so the problem is not hardware.

Much abliged, Martin

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:40 AM

if you used the live cd, and ran system updates it is highly likely you ran out of space, unless you are using an usb with persistence.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:46 AM

Randy,

If I read his post correctly, he did an install and after doing an update/upgrade he lost network capability. He is posting here now from a livecd.

I can't imagine a lack of apache packages would cause the network to not come up. As I recall, bodhi doesn't update the kernel during updates, so, I am not really sure where the issue lies. I know my current laptop can have issues when it doesn't get shutdown properly that sometimes the wifi card doesn't get shut down right and I have to pull the battery to get things to reset properly. Once that is done it works fine again.

#4 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

Yep, I miss read it!

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#5 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

I remember when ubuntu 16.04 came out I had all kinds of connection issues with network-manager. I had to install wicd on bodhi 4.0 for a while. I had issues mainly with hidden ssid's. Network-manager wouldn't save the settings. It happened on several of my machines. But the updates seemed to eventually clear it up. I am now back to nm on all of my machines.

Wonder if he somehow ended up with something similar?

Maybe someone around here can tell him how to try and connect from the command-line and try to run the updates again?

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

What network card is in the system in question? Does anything pop up when you click on the network manager icon?

Does killing the applet and restarting it let you see networks?

killall nm-applet
nm-applet

#7 moondoggers

moondoggers

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

Puuled the battery, waited then reinstalland, rebooted pc, it's an HP envy 700-406. Computer booted to bios with a message: no disk found- install operating system. Apparently the PC defaulted to UEFI , found instructions on the web to diable UEFI and rebooted and recieved the same error message at boot. 

I used another computer to download and burn the latest copy of BODHI 4.2.0 and booted that in the HP and tried an install. During install I saw that my original BODHI system was still on the drive so I opted to dual boot with the new system. Rebooting into new system I got the same error as before so I went back to bios and and one more time disbaled SECURE BOOT. Tried one more time and finally have my computer back  though not excited about having to split the drive. Can I re-partion and remove the newer system?

#8 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

i would have wrote over the older ne. that's just me.

#9 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4523 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

Hmm, you can, but you must do something in advance. That is correcting your bootloader. Because the latest grub is valid and you plan to remove that OS you will have trouble.

Reboot and choose the older installation to boot in, probably not the one on top in grub. Once booted open a terminal and give the following commands:

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX  #( replace the X with the letter of your main HDD, probably sda)
sudo update-grub

Now it is safe to remove the partition with the new installation and reassign the free space to something else.

After removing the partition you should rerun

sudo update-grub

to clean the grub from the no longer existent OS.

Enjoy,

Charles

#10 moondoggers

moondoggers

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:43 PM   Best Answer

All is back to normal, sort of. Had a back-up drive to retrieve my data though not all was lre-loaded as this distro 4.2.0 was different from my system 4.0.0 mine being 4.2.0  via upgrades and probably various apps that I have not installed as yet.

Thank you all for the help.

Regards, Martin

#11 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:44 PM

glad you got it working!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users