Photo

Back to ibar questions

Best Answer Jeffrey Needle, 08 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

Worked perfectly!!!!  Thanks so much to everyone.

Edit: refers to the clip in post #13 above

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffrey Needle

Jeffrey Needle

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

Being old and somewhat senile <grin>, I'm not sure whether I've asked these questions before.  They both involve the ibar.

1.  Thunderbird.  New versions of the mail client have made changes that are very annoying.  I participate in lots of discussion groups.  Before Tbird 50 or so, when you clicked on Reply, the reply went to the list, and not to the poster who started the discussion.  Now it's the other way.  Press Reply (or ctrl-r), and it replies to the individual rather than the list.  Lots of complaints about this.  Many of us have reverted to Tbird 45.  Works perfectly well.  Problem: how do I add Tbird 45 to the ibar for easy access?  I have the Tbird directory under downloads, and it starts just fine clicking on the Thunderbird executable.  I'd like to add the launcher to the ibar, but no clue as to how to do this.

2.  When I hover the mouse over an item on the ibar, the effect is nearly blinding to me.  I'm visually impaired, and the flashing of the icon makes the text nearly unreadable for me.  Can I turn this off?

As always, my great thanks.l

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

settings>settings panel> apps>ibar>applications - scroll down to Tb and add Tb hit apply and then you can order the apps that you have and hit apply again

i am old and lose patience with insane stuff quite rapidly.  that is why i like my peace and serenity on my little homestead/farm.

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

If all you want is to be able to launch from the iBar, Jeff pointed out in a different thread that you can drag the icon from the open window, usually top left, and drop the it in the iBar.

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

forgot about that!  

#5 Jeffrey Needle

Jeffrey Needle

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

Well, there's no icon on the left of the screen, or anywhere I can see, that I can drag.  Maybe I won't be able to add it to the ibar.  The previous poster's response doesn't work because the app doesn't appear in the list of available apps to add to the ibar.

Sigh.

#6 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:29 AM

If I get bodhi installed before someone else helps you, I will be sure to at minimum write step by step how to make a personal launcher. I may make a quick video.

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:29 AM

Jeff, do you have it installed?  just asking.  open thunderbird. when the actual TB window is open like you are checking your mail in the top left of the TB window is an icon.  use that one.  which bodhi are you running? 

you should have tb listed under the apps to add to ibar unless something is wrong with your system.

also - since i redid my 2 latops and two others in the house - forget a lot of tb's settings there are many places to tweak TB.for pretty much all windows - writing.receiving, and general.

#8 Jeffrey Needle

Jeffrey Needle

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:38 AM

Using Bodhi 4.  Recall from the original post, I'm using an older version of Tbird (45) launched from a directory in my Downloads.  Tbird is not installed; it is started by clicking on the launcher in  the Downloads directory.  Hence, it doesn't appear in the list of apps to be added to the ibar.  And no, there's no icon anywhere on the screen that I can drag to the ibar.

#9 Jeffrey Needle

Jeffrey Needle

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:38 AM

Should have been more precise.  Bodhi 4.2.0.  Sorry.

#10 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:42 AM

ok - just thought maybe it was an older version and maybe that had something to so with it.

Ok re: download folder stuff.  i tired to help - i do not know a lot.  Good luck my friend!

#11 Jeffrey Needle

Jeffrey Needle

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:46 AM

I appreciate it.

#12 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:51 AM

possibility than an older app is just not that compatible with the newer versions of Bodhi/and kernel.

Hang in there - there are a few good and knowledgeable people here that may be able to help you.

#13 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:13 AM

Hopefully the following video will help you. I haven't yet managed to get a copy of 4.2 on a flash drive.

Maybe some day I will actually do voice overs on my clips. :P

New and improved with sound.

#14 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

wow that was cool - thanks birdmun.  yes some voice over would help - i watched it once but you lost me toward the end with all of the menus.  but it is great.  will have to check it out a few times - esp after i get some coffee in me.  bit foggy this AM.

#15 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

Just not a fan of my own voice. :P

#16 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

i saw your rap album came out last month...

#17 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

Frog Voice sings the music of TUPAC

#18 Jeffrey Needle

Jeffrey Needle

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:29 PM   Best Answer

Worked perfectly!!!!  Thanks so much to everyone.

Edit: refers to the clip in post #13 above

Edited by Charles@Bodhi, 08 July 2017 - 09:17 PM.
referral

#19 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

ya birdmun knows his stuff.  has helped me quite a few times.  Glad you got it working.

#20 Jeffrey Needle

Jeffrey Needle

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

Friends, I completely forgot the other part of my question.  Hovering over an icon on the ibar, two things happen simultaneously -- the icon flashes, and the name of the app associated with the icon appears on top of the icons.  The effect is absolutely blinding to people with visual problems such as I suffer from.  The ideal would be: 1) No icon flashing, and 2) the description of the app appearing above the icons, not on top of them.  Any way to get this done?  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users