• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 linda

linda

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

Hello friends, new forum member here.

I have a Dell 700M (don't laugh ... that is why I'm trying Bodhi)

Purchased in 2004

CPU - Intel Pentium M 725 / 1.6 GHz (non pae)
Chipset Type - Intel 855GME
Data Bus Speed - 400 MHz
System memory - 2gb DDR SDRAM
Graphics Processor - Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Resolution - 1280 x 800 (WXGA)
Current OS - Lubuntu 14.04 LTS

BIOS configuration - boot to USB HDD first

System boots to Live fine, I click on installer, trys to run, then I get a message that the installer crashed, there is no error message.

I verified the md5 checksum, and am running the legacy ISO image and posting this question from it inside a virtualbox.

I have created the USB from Unetbootin and from the native bootable USB creator in Lubuntu.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Lubuntu is up and running on the machine, I just thought I'd give Bodhi a try to see if it used less CPU resources.

Is this worth the effort, do you think I will see a performance improvement over Lubuntu? I have been trying off and on for over a week and continually fail.

Thanks for any assistance you are willing to provide.

Cheers,

Linda

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

welcome.  have a few suggestions but am not an advanced user.  there will be someone ( one of the ones in the 'KNOW' around to help you - be patient.  Bodhi is worth it so hang in there.

#3 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Could you give some more information using the terminal?

free

This will tell me the amount of memory and swap available as the installer uses a lot of RAM.

Now start the installer in debug mode:

gksudo ubiquity -d gtk_ui

If that produces any output please post it here.

After it crashes can you perform the following:

sudo cat /var/log/installer/debug

and copy/paste that here.

From what you are telling so far I have no clue what's going on.

Oh, and please tell me if you have more applications open when calling the installer.

Enjoy,

Charles

#4 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:32 AM

Before you get rid of that other distro you may want to make a mental note of the applications you use quite frequently. This way you'd know what you have to install once you get Bodhi on that 700M. And no, I wasn't laughing.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#5 linda

linda

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:10 AM

Hi Charles and everyone!

I'm sorry I didn't provide the detail necessary.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to type out the helpful tutorial.

I followed the steps with no other applications running. There were plenty of free resources, but ...

Unfortunately I got permission denied everywhere I tried to save the files to outside the live environment. My wireless NIC is not seen so I cannot connect to the cloud and move files up there from the live session.

I sincerely appreciate your help. My goal is to simply turn this boat anchor into a streaming device for my bedroom tv. The only issue with Lubuntu is frequent 100% CPU utilization, and I was going to compare the CP utilization of Bodhi to Lubuntu.

I've literally spent more hours working on this than it would have cost me to purchase a more robust machine used off craiglist/ebay.

Thanks for the warm welcome and assistance, but do to my inability to provide useful information to assist troubleshooting I reckon since I have a working system now I will stick with it.

I do however love this distro, and it will be my primary web surfing virtual machine on my production box

Nice work, I enjoy using the product in my VM, sorry I'm too stoopid to install it in my Dell  :)

#6 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

Just out of curiosity, did you check mark the boxes for  -install third party plugins? or -install updates  when you were installing?

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#7 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

Let's presume your resources will be sufficient.

I know nothing about the Ubuntu USB Creator, but I do know Unetbootin had a small issue that made it not work correctly. This seems to be corrected in newer versions. But the version in the Lubuntu repos is old, so you better get it straight from the internet. This link will provide the latest linux version available on sourceforge.net as a standalone application. After the download make sure it is executable and run it. I have not tested this myself but it might make a difference in your case. Give it a try and let us know. 

Oh, when booting the live-USB you will be greeted with a grub screen. Before choosing the live-session please check the disk-integrity, just arrow down to select it.

Enjoy,

Charles 

#8 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

Ah, good news maybe. 

Forget my updates above. You are using a 32bit on a laptop and in that case you need a package that is not in the ISO you have. 

Install the package upower in the live-session and the installer will no longer crash.
You will need to install this package in your hdd installation too afterwards.

sudo apt-get install upower

I am glad I could force the same crash on a machine here and debugging showed me a missing file. But the installer did not even start, just stalling some time. But it worked after installing this.

I'm very curious about the exact Bodhi version you are dealing with. Please let me know. We had this issue once in the past and later releases had upower installed by default afaik.

Enjoy,

Charles

#9 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

If you figure on using it as a streaming device, the wireless NIC that you know of forces me to ask the question--is this undetected device a dealbreaker?

Because as a streaming device, the Dell 700M makes a beautiful boat anchor :)

As I have this peculiar habit of scouring those local ads for abandoned or neglected Thinkpads of the same era I have faced this issue more than once; the installer is not the problem, but merely the tip of the iceberg.

But if it does the job then I guess the landfill will have to wait for something else

#10 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

Linda, be patient and follow what Charles says.  he will lead you to success.  Been there and done that!  you WILL have success and it is worth it.  Good luck!

#11 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

Lacking wifi linda will have a heck of a time sudo apt-get(ting) anything. I would think knowing the particular nic and driver would be a bonus before booting the livecd again. I have a bodhi 3.2 livecd on one of my flash drives and had chntpw.deb file in root so I could edit old windows passwords in to oblivion. It saved me from having to download the file every time.

#12 linda

linda

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

Ah, good news maybe. 

Forget my updates above. You are using a 32bit on a laptop and in that case you need a package that is not in the ISO you have. 

Install the package upower in the live-session and the installer will no longer crash.

I am glad I could force the same crash on a machine here and debugging showed me a missing file. But the installer did not even start, just stalling some time. But it worked after installing this.

I'm very curious about the exact Bodhi version you are dealing with. Please let me know. We had this issue once in the past and later releases had upower installed by default afaik.

Enjoy,

Charles

Ok, since you took time out of your day to reproduce the problem and propose a resolution, I will try to get a wired connection and give it a shot.

Thanks so much for your help Charles, I appreciate it!

btw ... I am using  bodhi-4.2.0-legacy.iso as the install build.

If you figure on using it as a streaming device, the wireless NIC that you know of forces me to ask the question--is this undetected device a dealbreaker?

Because as a streaming device, the Dell 700M makes a beautiful boat anchor :)

As I have this peculiar habit of scouring those local ads for abandoned or neglected Thinkpads of the same era I have faced this issue more than once; the installer is not the problem, but merely the tip of the iceberg.

But if it does the job then I guess the landfill will have to wait for something else

I am thinking that maybe the live boot may have limitations, and if I get the OS installed, I may have better luck detecting the wireless NIC??

#13 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:14 AM

if the wireless worked in lubuntu, there should be no reason that it won't work in Bodhi. In your next Lubuntu session, have a look at the boot messages or see what make and model the device is listed under. That way, following birdmun's post, you will know--and we will help you get set up properly to start streaming. I'll bring the tacos. :) And you may want to have it wired in the meantime so that you can apt-get the driver for that card. After we fetch that we can lose the wired connection.

#14 linda

linda

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:49 AM

Ah, good news maybe. 

Enjoy,

Charles

Hi Charles.,

Finally got a wired connection.

Running the suod ger-install commands returns upower already installed and at the latest version.

Still have the same results trying to install.

I tried to save the log file to the root folder using sudo -i but couldn;t find it on the usb once I plugged into this PC.

Sorry I'm a stoopid user, I appreciate your help! 

Lubuntu is running, guess I shoulf be happy  :)

#15 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:19 AM

It is a challenge that you will face on some other day. In the meantime, press Pause and relax with your favorite beverage, while streaming using Lubuntu. There is no need to apologize, unless you decide to admit that you were going to stream some show about <Insert Kardashian name here>

#16 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, the upower thing was an option, we had that in a pre-release once and I did not know your exact version.

But my suggestions in post#7 still are valid in case you feel like trying it again. No pressure.  :)

Enjoy,

Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users