12 replies to this topic

#1 bodhi-buddha

bodhi-buddha

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hello friends,

I was just wondering, what do you people do for a living? I just started working as a junior .NET developer(oh the irony).

What's your current position, do you like it and would you rather be doing something else? If you don't wanna answer any questions, that's fine too :)

A word gives life to bare metal
Bytes inviting execution
Guide to a sector to settle
A word gives life, to bare metal
The bootloader 0x27's role is vital
Denoted by its location--
A word gives life to bare metal
Bytes inviting execution

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

I am a retired software/systems engineer. Now I teach ESL, volunteer with unaccompanied immigrant children, write a little (fiction), and build a little furniture. Sometimes I think about going back to work, but then I have a drink.

Bob Rashkin

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

In this gig economy, I signed up with these guys that have teams ready to go, for IMAC jobs.(install-move-assemble-configure) When schools or offices receive their shipment of PCs and hardware, or need to relocate HW to another floor or office building, we're the ones that reassemble them in the new site and ensure that they're ready to run so the school or company only goes through minimal downtime. Mostly weekend or after-hours work; last weekend, only three guys were needed to inventory equipment like telephones, headsets, flat screens, keyboards, etc. with one person entering them on a spreadsheet while another would dump all loose cabling (VGA, power, phone lines, AC adapters for laptops) in a huge cardboard box. If they were ever discarded most of them would end up on ebay or craigslist. Those monitors were boring office good-enough-for-government kind and not the shiny-shiny 4k displays that are on Best Buy or Newegg, but I have always had a hankering for a dual head setup.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

I an a Software Engineering degree holder with 8 yo exp that currently taking PhD in Human nutrition.  ;) 

#5 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

I used to work in the computer rental/laptop area of a popular copy center which was recently bought out by a shipping company; I didn't mind working the third shift but it became less of production print shop and more of a shipping firm.

I'd rather be doing this again, but not with Windows or Mac operating systems. Bring your laptops or netbooks over and connect to the in-house printers through wifi.

You can print your 'lost dog' flyers, or menus, or company newsletters on laser printers.

I can imagine even holding installfests every once in a while, like when slamd64 has a new release out.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#6 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:56 AM

Hello friends,

I was just wondering, what do you people do for a living? I just started working as a junior .NET developer(oh the irony).

What's your current position, do you like it and would you rather be doing something else? If you don't wanna answer any questions, that's fine too :)

I farm. :) Before I started farming, I was a solutions consultant at Fujitsu Asia, and briefly an on-demand engineer at IT startups too. Am doing a M.Divinity in Buddhist Ministry this year.

DE-oje3VYAACFEH.jpg

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

#7 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

I am a senior software/applications/web developer/architect/consultant/Project Manager/etc..... primary focus on Microsoft platform with forays into linux (webservers).  Assembler, c/c++, basic, java, lisp, pascal, c#, t-sql...etc. a lot of stuff after about 35+ years of this kind of field...  not to forget controls engineering (limited), IC fabrication ...  heheh you can do a lot over the course of a life time.

Linux distro favors:

Slackware (since 1994)

Bodhi  (since 12/12/12)

Arch   (recently)

Debian  (recently)

I am also working on weaponizing grandkids.... not working too well... not much you can do with a 14 month old and the 10 year olds just roll their eyes...

Forgot to add that I am studying for my technicians license for ham radios!

:P

- Kevin

#8 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1077 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:10 AM

Kev - how do you like Debian?

#9 Assel

Assel

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

I work as a mechanical engineer and am a mechanic with all my heart.
Because of the work I travel a lot in the world. So far I have been to Romania, Hungary, France, India, Spain, South Korea and in the USA / Mexico in September.
I love my job.
In my spare time, I repair everything that my family and friends bring me.
From mobile phone display to lawnmowers, bikes and cars. In addition, I try to maintain my house and at times create a beautiful garden.
By the way I build PCs as desired along and try the elderly, especially my father (77) to teach how to use the PC.

Aaahhh and I am passionate mountain biker.

• Kev likes this

#10 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

Kev - how do you like Debian?

Its ok, easy to install and maintain... so sure I like it.

- Kevin

#11 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1077 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

Thanks Kev!

#12 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:18 PM

Lead software engineer / scrum master, most of the time programming with C# .NET, HTML, CSS and Java ME for embeded devices.

The latest 8 months I learned to work with Typescript (Angular 4, don't use it, it's piece of crap!).

I work for a company that is responsible for monitoring and control of +/- 3000 pump stations in the netherlands.

Supervisory control and data acquisition from pump stations used in sewer systems, water treatment and land drainage.

For hobby I program with Javascript, PHP and Python.

And I'm studying psychology. End next year I hope to the get a degree. In the future I hope to make a career switch.

Work netbook: Lenovo 110s Ideapad running Bodhi 4.4.0 64bit

Test laptop: Dell Latitude D505, Bodhi 4.3.1 Legacy

Web server: HP Compaq Server P4, Bodhi 4.3.1 Legacy, Lighttpd, PHP7, MySQL, SQLite, SSL

#13 wimc

wimc

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWashougal, WA

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

Retired, and whatever I may do, is for fun and too keep me busy.

My computer - Dell XPS 8910 (tower), Bodhi Linux 4.3.1-64 (no other OS), Intel Core I7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB ram, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia Gefore GTX 750 Ti with 2 GB, 27" display at 1920x1080 res.

Parents computer - Dell XPS 8700 (tower), Bodhi Linux 4.3.1-64 (no other OS), Intel Core I7-4790 CPU @ 3.6 GHz, 8 GB ram, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia Gefore GT 720 with 4 GB (1GB standard, 3 GB shared), 27" display at 1920x1080 res.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users