5 replies to this topic

#1 Vajradeva

Vajradeva

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMale

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:27 AM

Hey guys,

I'm a new Linux user and chose to use Bodhi Linux as my new OS.

First I want to say how impressed I am with the look, options, functionality and how much better my old netbook runs on with this OS. You have done well developing this!

After a few days of exploring and customizing Bodhi I have come to a bit of a wall. Initially I had no real issues installing apps, but these mostly came from this sites own app section, but when I try to install third party apps, such as runescape launcher, the eSudo asks for my password and then fails to load or execute the installation file and does not even have a pop up stating anything. It'sas if it just doesn't respond. Why is this and how can I get it to install apps??

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:13 AM

Welcome to the forums, Vajradeva.You may want to find out what "runescape launcher" does under the covers,(email/contact the author? or look at Properties/installed files in synaptic) so that we can determine where the error occurs. If say the program developer says "look at so-and-so" then we will run the steps maybe in terminology and find out if it breaks even before esudo is summoned.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1542 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:34 AM

Definitely run your app from terminal. Unfortunately we have some issues with esudo in case of Bodhi installation and run in some non English languages. Let us know if you locale is diffrent.

#4 Vajradeva

Vajradeva

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMale

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

ok, sounds like a plan. cheers for the advice guys, appreciate it! I'll let you know how I go.

EDIT:

Ok, I realised that the Runescape Client is a .msi file, which is obviously a windows installer file. Runescape did not have a Linux binary to install, only this .msi file. So, in order to install the file I had to first install "Wine" which then allowed me to execute the .msi file and install. 

I do have another qustion though:

Am I able to create desktop icons in Bodhi Linux?

EDIT2:

Aaannnnd the Bodhi Noob found the FAQ forum lmfao!! sorry fellas, thanks for the help! I must say though, I am really impressed with this OS, keep up the great work!

#5 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

Oh, msi, eh? That is understandable, but see how far you can encourage the author to provide an installer for linux (can't hurt to ask; you may not be the first to request for one) Or better yet, work with him to come up with your own homegrown version.

And each of us here were all noobies at some point. So ask away, and watch some clips on tips and tricks to make Bodhi uniquely your own, with your own runescape launcher, even.

I watched as the *buntu devs posted replies in their IRC channels, and Red Hat folk helped new users with each new release. Printed out some HOWTOs from tldp.org and put those pages in a binder. But those experts would freely admit that they went through this learning curve too; they would also say that the only stupid question is the one you did not ask.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#6 Vajradeva

Vajradeva

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMale

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:34 AM

Definitely. Thanks again for the great advice! To be honest all I have been doing the last 3 days since I have decided to use Bodhi is read and research and ask questions. This, however, I find easy to learn, even using the terminal to install apps etc.. I also found that it helps that Bodhi is Ubuntu under the hood, so I can use Ubuntu info to help with anything I can't find Bodhi specific. The developers for this OS need a big round of applause, I think.

I will take your advice and hit up the Runescape devs to add a linux specific install for their  "old school" client. I think now I might have to bust everyones chops to get off their ass and create linux installs lmao! 

Thanks again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eSudo, app installation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users