Photo

did eepdater now suspend does not work and other grayed out

Best Answer sef, 21 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

I asked sef last night but so far he has been sleeping and busy... 

Yeah, when I got home from work last night I had to do yard work then went out fishing. Had to get my eyes off the computer screen for a while... Caught only 1 fish, but as they say 'a bad day fishing is still a pretty good day.'  :)

------- For those who may like to know, I posted this in reply to the message Norman sent me last night --------

In a terminal this command

sudo apt-get update

will go onto the internet and find out about any updates that are available for the software on your system. It doesn't actually update the software, it just finds out about updates.

Then this command

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

will actually download the new updates and install them all at once.

I'm not completely sure what eepdater is doing since I have never used it. I just kind of stick to the command line with updates, and I think that's what most people do. Make sure you have closed eepdater, and give those two commands a try. If you run those regularly, your system will always be up to date with the latest updates. Also, using this method will let you interact with the terminal if it asks you any questions like, "do you want to keep the current version?"   :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:38 AM

both laptops - did the eppdater and now cannot shutdown power off and suspend is grayed out.  how do i get this back - i did reset moksha 2x and still nothing - had to hold down button to shutdown. restarted and still same thing.  help please.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:35 AM

on all 3 laptops in eepdater - it gets to a point and asks to pick from 6 options for grub - to keep the current modified grub which is 2 there is no way i can see to input it.  I tried.  had to stop updater and then try to hold button to shutdown.  restart and then reset moksha and then run sudo apt-get update and it eventually comes back with need to manually in terminal type some unpackage -a command or some such thing and then when i did that it finished running stuff that it could not complete and asked to keep the current grub - i hit enter and it finished.  i had to shutdown - then restart - refresh moksha and the menu choices seem to have some back - so not sure why this happened.  but i ran into this when i installed the other earlier version of bodhi 4.

so why? pick the grub - which should i have picked and will it always ask me for all updates from now till infinity?  and how do you input anything in the eepdater mode?

i hate to say it but this is starting to drive me a bit crazy.

thanks.

#3 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4523 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

Well, you had the same issue when installing Bodhi 4.2 like you mentioned yourself. In that topic  I wrote down what you had to to do to escape from updating errors. Seems like apt-get did help you out this time, telling you the same command.

Yes, grub and a very few other packages will ask you that every time they get updated because Bodhi uses a modified configuration file and it is polite to not overwrite that brutally but ask. In bodhi we have made the option to keep the existent version as default action by design. Meaning that hitting enter is all you have to do.

Eepdater has a built in "terminal" that is very limited, it only shows what is going on. AFAIK there is an option to type something in the line below the display after hitting a button but I'm not sure that works in all cases. Anyway that "terminal" can not handle the ncurses dialog that you get in terminology. That works with arrows and tab keys to select and confirm actions. The team is aware of this limitations but it's a lot of work to implement a better terminal and it has low priority.

You told me you made notes about all issues. Try to memorize what they were about and use them. That will keep your mind sane, not crazy.

Enjoy,

Charles

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Charles.  everything was going smooth and then bam...  that is what is frustrating.

I asked sef last night but so far he has been sleeping and busy...  i have been doing the sudo apt-get update.  it runs for about 10 seconds and it is done.  i did that again yesterday and for the hell of it i trid the system updater.  it came back with so many updates I thought the terminal sudo apt-get  update was handling everything...  I guess it does not.  so - and i have asked this question before with an answer that may have not made sense to me is what is the difference in doing eepdater?  and apt-get update??????  if i just ran it in terminal and immediately it comes back in eepdater that all other stuff needs to be updated then terminal command is not inclusive to everything that needs updating.

I also was late in getting to bed and then all this happened so it was doubly frustrating.

again what does terminal command update and what does eepdater update?

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

ok sef said i needed to run the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade to install of the stuff from the previous stated command.  so all this time i only did the first half of the process.  i thought it was al complete.  it never was.

#6 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 306 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:06 AM   Best Answer

I asked sef last night but so far he has been sleeping and busy... 

Yeah, when I got home from work last night I had to do yard work then went out fishing. Had to get my eyes off the computer screen for a while... Caught only 1 fish, but as they say 'a bad day fishing is still a pretty good day.'  :)

------- For those who may like to know, I posted this in reply to the message Norman sent me last night --------

In a terminal this command

sudo apt-get update

will go onto the internet and find out about any updates that are available for the software on your system. It doesn't actually update the software, it just finds out about updates.

Then this command

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

will actually download the new updates and install them all at once.

I'm not completely sure what eepdater is doing since I have never used it. I just kind of stick to the command line with updates, and I think that's what most people do. Make sure you have closed eepdater, and give those two commands a try. If you run those regularly, your system will always be up to date with the latest updates. Also, using this method will let you interact with the terminal if it asks you any questions like, "do you want to keep the current version?"   :)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle, or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

Forum Rules

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thanks - I should have been clearer in the post re: your answer - and i also was hesitant to copy and post from your PM without permission.

2nd big cup of espresso and still not awake.  Been tough lately...

(miss fishing - used to do it a lot!!!)

#8 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

p.s. i guess i did learn something because i went back into terminal and tried to see what i could re: the update errors.  in the past i did not/would not have even tried that.  so s little step as Confucius wrote on the long stumbling journey into GNU/linux for me.

• sef likes this

#9 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

p.p.s. just thinking after a long day of cooking sauce and putting other vegetales up... i had to try the eepdater because apparently the partial command i was given didn't seem for the last month or so to be doing squat re; the updates etc.  so i tried the eepdater and then ran into some issues.  that is called fumbling around not knowing that much and trying to get this stuff working and also just updating everything as needed.  so sorry if there were issues.  doing my best!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users