#1 nomko

nomko

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, The Netherlands

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

Hi all,

Something i noticed:

Why does Bodhi have an online appcentre with a few applications while other distro's have a software centre which contains a lot more applications?

If you look, for example, to a distro like Elementary OS, their appcentre/software centre is packed with a lot of available applications, easy to install and remove. To browse all applications/packages i'm using Synaptic and/or the terminal to install certain packages/applications.

Is it possible to have an appcentre or software centre like Elementary OS in Bodhi instead of having an online appcentre which is far too narrowed down regarding the available applications?

MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

Sure, you can always install gnome-software or ubuntu-software (which is gnome-software).

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

Hi all,

Something i noticed:

Why does Bodhi have an online appcentre with a few applications while other distro's have a software centre which contains a lot more applications?

If you look, for example, to a distro like Elementary OS, their appcentre/software centre is packed with a lot of available applications, easy to install and remove. To browse all applications/packages i'm using Synaptic and/or the terminal to install certain packages/applications.

Is it possible to have an appcentre or software centre like Elementary OS in Bodhi instead of having an online appcentre which is far too narrowed down regarding the available applications?

Well, it written in The wiki. :D  

The AppCenter features a great selection of excellent software, all of which will run without problems on Bodhi Linux. Either search for the software by name in the Search box, or select from the listed categories to see what’s on offer.

http://www.bodhilinu...dding-software/

It not supposed to be exhaustive, but an "elite" picks, best apps for different kind of needs.   :lol:

and Synaptic just one console line away, for exhaustive list. Better yet, add GetDeb and PlayDeb Repo.  ;)

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

Philosophical difference. People are often paralyzed by too many choices. People who do not know what software they need for a given task don't need to shift through 10,000 packages to find the right one.

People who do know what software they need often don't need a GUI to get what they want. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users