14 replies to this topic

#1 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

Hello,

I want to change the computer name and my user name. Searched through the menus and settings and could not find where to do it :mellow:

Thanks,

Michel

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

To change your computer name (host name in linux) see here. Substitute terminology for terminal in Bodhi and epad for text editor.

To change your user name I recommend install gnome-system-tools.   From a terminal enter,,,

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools --no-install-recommends

Then look for "users & groups" in the applications menu, under system tools.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

heads up, you may have to set up your network connections once more--after all, this is a new (or renamed) device attempting to connect to the network. But if you get to see this, then you have successfully connected after all. In that case, carry on B)

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Thanks,

So there is no build in GUI to take care of managing / adding / removing users in Bodhi?

Michel

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

no that is why i was curious as to the answer.   i read somewhere before on the forums that it was not possible without tweaking.

p.s. i believe that was in regard to adding a new user actually.

#6 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

Why is that? Most distros have a system section to deal with users.

Michel

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

no clue; but i am sure there is someone in the know that will tell you.

#8 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

Time.  Jeff the lead developer created a basic app. But I believe he wants to add the "add user" feature to the swami control panel. He just hasn't had the time.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#9 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 306 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Hi Michel,

We are a very small team that also has jobs to do besides volunteer at Bodhi. We love working on software, but also have to pay the bills and spend time with loved-ones as well.

I believe you could install 'gnome-control-center' or 'unity-control-center' to do what you want, but it will probably also pull in a bunch of other packages if you're ok with that. If you want to install them with a little less bloat you could try one of these commands --

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-control-center

--> on a test run says it will pull in 38.9MB of extra packages.

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends unity-control-center

--> on a test run says it will pull in 30.4 MB of extra packages.

Disclaimer -- I don't have either of these packages installed because I prefer the command line, so if you need any instruction on how to use these GUI's I'd have to refer you to someone else or maybe you can find something on google. In fact, I can't even be 100% sure how well they'll work in Bodhi, but they *should*. Almost anything that works in Ubuntu will work in Bodhi.

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle, or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

Forum Rules

#10 auro

auro

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hi all!
This is my first post. Actually, I don't use Bodhi myself and this is my daughter's account but, I thought I could help on this one.
Correct me if I'm wrong or if there is something that’s Bodhi specific but...
At the CLI you could

Code:
sudo useradd -m your-new-user-name -G adm,tty,disk,lp,dialout,fax,cdrom,sudo,audio,dip,backup,video,plugdev,syslog,fuse,lpadmin,netdev,ssh,sambashare

Adjust the permissions for the user by adding/removing them from the list, then

Code:
sudo passwd your-new-user-name

Type the password you want for the new user and that’s it.

Regards
pin

EDIT:
If you need more info...
https://www.computer...nix/useradd.htm

https://www.lifewire...command-3572157

EDIT 2:
If you don't want a new user, but only to modify an existing one have look at usermod instead of useradd

https://www.computer...nix/usermod.htm

#11 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1576 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

@michmanbiker

Your question is correct. But it is a question for Enlightenment developers (IRC #e) which for some reason did not create the GUI for adding users. There aren't more features like GUI for adding printers, GUI for changing time & date or locales etc. We don't know why. Anyway our goal is to have these missing features and as Randy pointed, the time is a real obstacle. There is Jeff's project called "swami" which could fill the gap in the E/Moksha settings. In the meantime we use command line or setting dialogs from other desktops which are fully compatible.  

#12 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

even though i did not state it since i know so little - i turns out everything that i thought is correct re: all of the various responses. thanks for confirming this.

#13 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

I get it and thanks for all the responses, is this the case with installing fonts too? I can't seem to find a way to add or remove fonts.

Thanks,

Michel

#14 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

yep.  For a gui application there is font-manager, search for it in synaptic or in terminal...

sudo apt-get install font-manager

You can add them directly but I think you have to put them in the folder  /home/user/.config/fonts  (where user is your own user name). They used to go into the folder /home/user/.fonts  but I believe that has been changed. You can try both if one doesn't work. If the folders don't exist create them.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#15 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:46 AM

i may have to ponder that - thanks Randy i am fine now but would like to see what it could do for the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users