Bodhi through Chrome Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SweaterFish

SweaterFish

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

Hi everyone, I'm a new user to Bodhi and Linux in general. I have player around with Mint on and off for a few years as a live CD, but never really committed to using it for much. Now I've installed Bodhi on a second computer that will be used frequently for writing and running simulations in the R language.

After more than a little wrasslin' with the setup I've got the ability to visit my Bodhi computer from any other computer using Chrome Remote Desktop. The problem I'm having is that Chrome Remote Desktop logs me in to a separate Moksha session, which might be okay, but I can't seem to find a way to pass windows between the two sessions, which is a problem if I start an analysis when I'm using the machine itself and then want to check in on it again later from my other computer, or my phone, etc.

So does anyone else have experience with this? Should there be some way to move windows between sessions? A couple old StackExchange questions from 2009 said that the answer was no, but maybe it's changed. Specifically, I'd need to be able to look and see what windows are open on the other session I'm not currently in, grab it, and bring it to this session.

Alternately, should I be able to access my primary Moksha session through Chrome Remote Desktop? This would be the best solution since currently having two sessions open eats up a bit of extra memory on a system that only has 2GB installed.

For background, the Chrome Remote Desktop service looks for a file called .chrome-remote-desktop-session in your home directory that currently in my case just has the line:

exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session '/usr/bin/enlightenment_start'

Is there something else I could put there that would make Chrome Remote Desktop hook into the existing session instead?

Thanks in advance!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

I don't have time at the moment to look into Chrome Remote desktop off hand - but I can confirm that command you are passing is to start a new desktop session.

Have you tried using Teamviewer? Used that in the past on Bodhi and it works as expected with no extra work. 

Welcome to the forums.

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

Also using Teamviewer. Never had any issues with it.

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4523 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Hmm , something is unclear from your post.

Did you create sharing on your bodhi computer and use the access code from the remote computer? That seems to be needed to get full access. Else you are probably running a "virtual machine".

From Google support.

Enjoy,

Charles

#5 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

After trying Teamviewer, have a look at vnc as well, with 64bit linux clients. There are different ones e.g. tightvnc, tigervnc(wiki page), xvnc, etc that could also start their own xsession but if memory serves tigervnc could "dive right in" smack into the middle of a running session.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#6 SweaterFish

SweaterFish

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:29 AM

Thanks everyone, I was able to get Chrome Remote Desktop working as desired by following the instructions here:

https://superuser.co...ntu-gnome-14-04

It required just a couple changes to CRD's python code, then I was able to just connect to the same existing x session.

I did try out TeamViewer a couple years ago when I was first looking into remoting and liked CRD better for its flexibility and easy installation, though admittedly that was on Mac and Windows machines. This Linux installation was much harder. All sorted now, though, and been running right for a day or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users