Photo

Will Bodhi 4.2 become more stable

Best Answer michmanbiker, 01 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

I confirm that using chrome has made a huge difference!

I am now confident about my system and hope further updates for the lts will make it even more stable so, now, I an not sure I want to reinstall and reconfigure everything from the start!!! AND be stuck with Firefox in 32 as Chrome is not available in a 32 variant :-)

Thanks to all.

Michel

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

I have been using Bodhi for the last week or so and put a lot  of effort into customizing it with the great help of this community but I am worried that Bodhi might not become my production distro.

Bodhi is great as far as:

- The great community and the help and support I have been getting

- The eye candy for such a small footprint

- The customization ease and scope

- The uptodate applications

But I am worried because it isn't really stable. It hangs repeatedly when ram is solicited. I have 2 G and I think that should be enough to allow for a smooth and stable, if not lightning fast operation.

I really like Bodhi but is enlightenment putting too much effort into eye candy at the expense of stability? Is there a way to make this great distro more stable? Is there a major update coming soon?

Thanks,

Michel

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:33 PM

i have found that with 2 gigs and a serious app open or two or an instense internet page i did run into some issues - but it is not bodhi's fault and that is not unstable - it just means the minimal ram is an issue.

i have run 3 for 1 1/2 years and once i got it all tweaked i never had an issue.  i recently did the whole house with bodhi 4.2 and have had minimal issues.  I would definitely not say that it was a stability issue.NOT IN THE LEAST!  i have been most pleased wit Bodhi and that is why i remain a dedicated user of Bodhi - that is all i run on my two thinkpads.  nothing else.  no virtuals no lives nothing but pure bodhi.

#3 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

So you think 2G is too little for 4.2?

Separately, conky shows my swap is not being used. Is that normal? 

Michel

NB would the 32 bit be less resource intensive?

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:46 PM

i have one tp that has 4gb and 1 tp that has 8. and a ssd. the 2nd is faster across the board than the 4gb one.  I run krita and LO and gimp as well as a few others and depending have a few apps/windows open and no real issues.  my older one that just bit the dust did have slow issues and that was with various other distros too.  so the tp with 2 gb worked but it varied to speed depending on many factors.  that is my 1 cent of info for you.

#5 SweaterFish

SweaterFish

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:32 AM

If 2GB is really not enough for Bodhi, then maybe the official recommended and minimum specs should be updated. Those are still listed as 512MB and 128MB respectively. Those numbers are definitely not realistic from what I've seen so far in 4.2.0.

That said, I'm also running with 2GB and haven't had any memory related freezing, so it may be a configuration problem on your setup, michmanbiker.

#6 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1576 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:34 AM

I had Lenovo S12 with 1 GB RAM which worked slow but without any hangs or freezes. I suggested you have to upgrade your system in other forum post. You answered you did. Can you post the outcome of this command?:

dpkg -l efl

#7 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 191 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

I am running Bodhi 4 on 3 machines. One has only 1 Gb RAM and that gets very slow if I run something like Firefox or Chromium - I have to use the Midori web browser on that machine. The other two have 4 Gb RAM and they are always very fast and stable, and run Chromium excellently.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:11 AM

There is a known issue with the default EFL packages on the 4.2 install that causes a memory leak on some systems that will lead to the hangs you are talking about.

If you perform all of your system updates this will no longer be the case.

At some point when time permits I'll be rolling up a 4.3 release so these packages are the default on new installs. 

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:16 AM

If 2GB is really not enough for Bodhi, then maybe the official recommended and minimum specs should be updated. Those are still listed as 512MB and 128MB respectively. Those numbers are definitely not realistic from what I've seen so far in 4.2.0.

That said, I'm also running with 2GB and haven't had any memory related freezing, so it may be a configuration problem on your setup, michmanbiker.

A default Bodhi install uses around 128mb of RAM by default. For example my work VM that has a few extra startup processes looks like this after a fresh boot:

T6TsBZj.png

Less than 200MB of ram used and 50MB of that is the task manager I'm using to show this information. Another 50mb of that is out default network manager GUI that you can kill if you are on a really low resource system.

Remember your applications need memory to work. The modern internet is very resource intensive. You need more than 128 or likely even 512mb of RAM to browse facebook efficiently using Firefox or Chrome - but that isn't Bodhi's desktop demanding your resources, it is your application. 

#10 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:58 AM

Yes I confirm it is a Firefox issue. I have moved to Chrome on my phone and desktop. Works much better now. As for updates, I do them every morning so i think my system is uptodate. But will interested in your upcoming release.

Thanks,

Michel

#11 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

Yes I confirm it is a Firefox issue. I have moved to Chrome on my phone and desktop. Works much better now. As for updates, I do them every morning so i think my system is uptodate. But will interested in your upcoming release.

Thanks,

Michel

Are you updating using terminal? If so what command do you use?

I would recommend to use 

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade because it has permissions to do a more complete job than upgrade alone in regard to adding new packages/removing old ones. 

Enjoy,

Charles.

#12 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

I've got 2GB RAM on my system, and have much better results with the 32-bit version. IMO, 2GB RAM isn't enough for any 64-bit OS.

#13 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1052 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

maybe that was the issue on the old pooped out machine - it had 64 bit installed.

#14 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Location26.13069N,97.63676W

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

I have an ACER Cloudbook with 2G and the 64-bit OS. I have no issues.

Bob Rashkin

#15 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

Are you updating using terminal? If so what command do you use?

I would recommend to use 

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade because it has permissions to do a more complete job than upgrade alone in regard to adding new packages/removing old ones. 

Enjoy,

Charles.

Yes Charles I use terminal and update upgrade autoremove and from time to time dist-upgrade

#16 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

I looked at the 32 vs 64 and NOW the consensus seems to be that a 2g machine would fare better with 32 bit. But a while ago the consensus was to use 64 for 64 processors.

At any rate, is there a 32 bit version for Bodhi?

Thanks,

Michel

#17 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1576 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

As far as I know Bodhi Linux Legacy version is 32 bit. Be aware of kernel version which is 3.2. Little bit obsolete but you can upgrade it if you need.

#18 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Latest Bodhi 32 bit = Bodhi 4.2.0-Legacy. It has:

uname -rpi
3.16.0-4-586 i686 i686

That is about the latest non-pae kernel that exists and works absolutely great on my hardware.

Enjoy,

Charles.

PS: I would strongly advise to use dist-upgrade all the time. Often an extra package is not named as a dependency, but called for in the install or config script. Something you don't know in advance, but when you don't have the extra package you won't notice it, you only would miss the extras it brings. And sometimes that extra is a real improvement.

#19 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:36 PM   Best Answer

I confirm that using chrome has made a huge difference!

I am now confident about my system and hope further updates for the lts will make it even more stable so, now, I an not sure I want to reinstall and reconfigure everything from the start!!! AND be stuck with Firefox in 32 as Chrome is not available in a 32 variant :-)

Thanks to all.

Michel

#20 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

I had Lenovo S12 with 1 GB RAM which worked slow but without any hangs or freezes. I suggested you have to upgrade your system in other forum post. You answered you did. Can you post the outcome of this command?:

dpkg -l efl

michel@michel-Satellite-U400:~$ dpkg -l efl
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  efl            201706111.19 amd64        EFLs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users