• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:45 PM

I have strated using this application to flash drives. I have Installed it on Bodhi by adding the repo and installing.

It worked fine for a while and now it hangs when it starts to flash.

Are you using etcher? Do you have a similar problem?

Too bad because I think it is much better than Unetbootin and deserves to be part of the Bodhi app center.

Michel

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:56 PM

hey Michel, Maybe the hang was only a hiccup. Try running Echer from terminology and see if any error messages (or warnings) appear before the freeze happens, or if a change to a different USB thumb drive makes Echer run smoothly. I used something called usb imagewriter which works well with IMG files instead of ISO's.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#3 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:39 AM

hey Michel, Maybe the hang was only a hiccup. Try running Echer from terminology and see if any error messages (or warnings) appear before the freeze happens, or if a change to a different USB thumb drive makes Echer run smoothly. I used something called usb imagewriter which works well with IMG files instead of ISO's.

I tried it from terminal and I get the same results. It might be the drive formating. I have formated the drive on my son's windows machine and installed an iso and it booted fine. I will try to format on windows and use etcher and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Michel

#4 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

When you format it, do you use GPT or MBR partitioning scheme?

If you're trying to install to a UEFI machine, you will have to have GPT partitioning. But if your machine is Legacy/BIOS you will need MBR partitioning. The difference is how the partition table is layed out. MBR partitioning puts the table at the very front of the disk, while GPT puts it at the first logical block of the device. If you're booting into a UEFI machine it is trying to look at the first logical block to see your partition layout.

This describes it pretty well

https://en.wikipedia...Partition_Table

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#5 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Interesting, I will have a look at it but why was it working when I first installed it? I suspect this is an Etcher issue. I will have to ask about it on their site. It would be great if it could be included in the app center as short of Rufus, this is the best flashing application I have used.

Thanks,

Michel

#6 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

I ran in to issues burning the 4.2 iso to a flash drive with etcher, dd, and unetbootin. When I finally got to a windows system and used rufus, attempting to burn the iso caused rufus to say it needed more files relating to syslinux 6.02(I believe that was the name). After acquiring those files, the iso burnt properly. I don't know if this is related to your issues.

#7 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

short of Rufus, this is the best flashing application I have used

I haven't tried out etcher yet, I'll have to give it a look

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

#8 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

I ran in to issues burning the 4.2 iso to a flash drive with etcher, dd, and unetbootin. When I finally got to a windows system and used rufus, attempting to burn the iso caused rufus to say it needed more files relating to syslinux 6.02(I believe that was the name). After acquiring those files, the iso burnt properly. I don't know if this is related to your issues.

I don't know but I think it is an application issue. It was working and then it just stopped. Michel

#9 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4573 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

Our latest iso were created with syslinux 6.03.xxx. The applications that are used for burning to usb must use the same version to work well. Rufus has a check to discover this irregularity and offers to add the new syslinux files to rufus and use them while burning. Not sure those other burning apps can do the same or have this latest syslinux version built in.

Bodhi 3.x.x. might still work on etcher.

Just my two cents.

Enjoy,

Charles

#10 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:49 AM

When I burn an install usb media [1] , I use 'dd bs=4M if=xxx/xxxx.iso of=/dev/sdx'

But that will need a linux OS to do so. But it always worked.

I notice many people use rufus, multiboot, imagewriter, unetbootin... instead.

And testing these out, I find them to be complicated, unreliable and the methods keeps changing ...and a hassle.

Are there some advantages I don't know over the plain 'dd' ?

[1] I rarely burn install media to usb.

I usually boot install iso file direct from grub 2.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#11 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

(my 2 cents alert)

Are there some advantages I don't know over the plain 'dd' ?

I currently use dd to create USB's, but speaking for myself when I was not overly comfortable with the command line, I liked having a GUI there to do the work. I think mostly because I didn't understand what some of the commands were. And this is no knock on people who use GUI's, I still use GUI's over command line on a lot of things simply because I choose to. I think maybe some GUI's are more user-friendly & reliable than others.

I really like Rufus and it's FOSS. If someone had the time to port it over to Linux, I think that would be fantastic.

I ran in to issues burning the 4.2 iso to a flash drive with ... dd ...

I had trouble once using dd to put an ISO onto a USB and it ended up being the partition table on the USB that was messed up. For some reason dd wasn't over-writing it correctly. So I used Gparted to delete all partitions and reformat several times alternately as FAT32 & ext4 and the USB started working with dd again. Not completely sure why... But when it was messed up Gparted, parted & fdisk were showing 1Gb total capacity on a 16Gb USB stick. Once I got it straightened out it was showing 16Gb again and has been working for me since. (knocks on wood)

Forum Rules (link)

#12 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

Our latest iso were created with syslinux 6.03.xxx. The applications that are used for burning to usb must use the same version to work well. Rufus has a check to discover this irregularity and offers to add the new syslinux files to rufus and use them while burning. Not sure those other burning apps can do the same or have this latest syslinux version built in.

Bodhi 3.x.x. might still work on etcher.

Just my two cents.

Enjoy,

Charles

Hello Charles, you got me confused. Etcher does burn Bodhi iso on Windows. It worked perfectly on my Bodhi 4.2 system. Now it starts and when I click to start flashing the usb it asks for my sudo password and then ... nothing. Unetbootin keeps on saying files already exist on the usb drive and when it finishes writing the iso to the usb, it wont boot !!!!!

Need a reliable GUI application. It is humiliating having to ask my son to use his windows machine!

Michel

#13 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

Maybe try using Gparted to delete all partitions on your USB.

Then use this command to write the Bodhi ISO to your USB stick --

sudo dd if=/path/to/your/bodhi.iso of=/dev/sdX

Where '/path/to/your/bodhi.iso' is the path to your iso.   :)

And /dev/sdX is your USB stick.  You can find out the reference to your USB stick by doing `lsblk` and using the size to figure out which one it is.

(I don't know your experience level with Linux, so I'll just say that the USB stick probably isn't /dev/sda, that is usually your computer's hard drive. If you try to write to your computer's hard drive using dd, then dd will happily follow that command and proceed to overwrite your hard drive ... not good. Use dd with caution. But I have found that to be the most reliable way of creating a bootable USB.)

Forum Rules (link)

#14 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:49 AM

Maybe try using Gparted to delete all partitions on your USB.

Then use this command to write the Bodhi ISO to your USB stick --

sudo dd if=/path/to/your/bodhi.iso of=/dev/sdX

Where '/path/to/your/bodhi.iso' is the path to your iso.   :)

And /dev/sdX is your USB stick.  You can find out the reference to your USB stick by doing `lsblk` and using the size to figure out which one it is.

(I don't know your experience level with Linux, so I'll just say that the USB stick probably isn't /dev/sda, that is usually your computer's hard drive. If you try to write to your computer's hard drive using dd, then dd will happily follow that command and proceed to overwrite your hard drive ... not good. Use dd with caution. But I have found that to be the most reliable way of creating a bootable USB.)

I already formatted, erased, etc.. using gparted. Used another USB too. Same results. Etcher and Unetbootin are not working and it's a real pain.

#15 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

As Charles mentioned, they must be using a different version of Syslinux.

Did you try the dd command I mentioned?

Forum Rules (link)

#16 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4573 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hmm, I suppose you installed unetbootin from the repos. Ubuntu still has version 608 in there from 2 years ago. Things have changed.

Go to Sourceforge to download a recent binary (version 647 is good for Bodhi) from there for your system, I think you will need the linux64 if memory serves me well.

Execute this command:

sudo cp /usr/bin/unetbootin /usr/bin/unetbootin-old

so you have the earlier version still available.

Now save the new bin file to this place:

sudo cp /path/to/file/unetbootin-linux64-647.bin /usr/bin/unetbootin

Replace path/to/file with your path

You need to make the binfile executable and readable for anyone first.

Use the terminal to start unetbootin, the menu entry uses a command with references to QT and refuses to boot.

gksudo unetbootin

NB1: Unetbootin seems no longer to format the flashdrives but starts copying right away, so you format as FAT32 before using it.

NB2: When unetbootin when creating the bootloader asks to overwrite existing files related to isolinux and such answer NO. It must use the existing files from the ISO and not its own version.

Made a flashdrive successfully but I've not yet tested the flashdrive on a real machine.

Enjoy,

Charles

#17 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

why not ext4 files system?  just curious?????  i was told to use ext4 for linux and it always seems to work and also on my external HD i bought - i had them format to ext4 before they shipped it.

again - just curious.

#18 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4573 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

why not ext4 files system?  just curious?????  i was told to use ext4 for linux and it always seems to work and also on my external HD i bought - i had them format to ext4 before they shipped it.

again - just curious.

The flashdrive is a bootable medium that has a live-cd on it stored in a compressed file-system of it's own that can be found once the kernel is booted. BIOS can not read ext4, but only fat. That's why the flash drive has to be formatted as such.

Enjoy,

Charles

#19 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

Ok thanks charles.  makes sense...  mucho appreciato!

#20 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Hmm, I suppose you installed unetbootin from the repos. Ubuntu still has version 608 in there from 2 years ago. Things have changed.

Go to Sourceforge to download a recent binary (version 647 is good for Bodhi) from there for your system, I think you will need the linux64 if memory serves me well.

Execute this command:

sudo cp /usr/bin/unetbootin /usr/bin/unetbootin-old

so you have the earlier version still available.

Now save the new bin file to this place:

sudo cp /path/to/file/unetbootin-linux64-647.bin /usr/bin/unetbootin

Replace path/to/file with your path

You need to make the binfile executable and readable for anyone first.

Use the terminal to start unetbootin, the menu entry uses a command with references to QT and refuses to boot.

gksudo unetbootin

I was wondeingNB1: Unetbootin seems no longer to format the flashdrives but starts copying right away, so you format as FAT32 before using it.

NB2: When unetbootin when creating the bootloader asks to overwrite existing files related to isolinux and such answer NO. It must use the existing files from the ISO and not its own version.

Made a flashdrive successfully but I've not yet tested the flashdrive on a real machine.

Enjoy,

Charles

Thanks, seems to work. I was wondering how can I edit a menu entry, is that possible in Bodhi?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users