• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mariom

mariom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

Hello,

I am new to this distro, I installed it but every time i run the system updated or bodhi appcenter it will not work, get an error message saying i need to run sudo dpkg etc, so I was looking to use root but can not even logon with it does not exist, also can not get a terminal so I can use command line.

would you please give me some directions or tell me how to resolve this issues? i really like how Bodhi looks like is very light and runs fast on my old laptop i really want to keep bodhi.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Mario

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:55 AM

Terminology is the default terminal program installed. The quickest way to get to Terminology would be the Windows key + Spacebar to bring up Run Everything then just start typing terminology. Ubuntu and most(?) derivatives do not include a root account. sudo is the preferred method of running applications with elevated privileges. If you wanted to go old school you could even hit Ctrl + Alt + F1 and log in to a virtual terminal and run things from there. If you go that route, Ctrl + Alt + F7 will get you back to the desktop. When you are finished in the virtual terminal it would be a good thing to log out by typing exit, I believe.

#3 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

every time i run the system updated or bodhi appcenter it will not work, get an error message saying i need to run sudo dpkg etc 

What is the specific 'sudo dpkg etc' command? The error/warning that is thrown out there is meant to help you fix what's wrong.

Without knowing what that specific command is, optionally you could try running these commands in the terminal to fix a borked package install -- (it will not hurt to run both of these commands.)

sudo dpkg --configure -a
   -- or --
sudo apt-get install -f

If those fix your problems, you can then run these commands to completely update your system --

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Let us know how it's going.

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

---------------------------------------------------

"That's not how the force works..."

#4 mariom

mariom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

thanks for your replied, 

the system update get stuck when is doing the grub-pc update, it gives me 4 options to update it, to keep the original, to merge 3 options but is experimental and don't remenber the other one but when I type option 2 which is to keep original grub it will not do anything and stay a whole day doing nothing then when I want to reboot or shutdown it will not execute message saying command failed.

Would I have same issue if I do it manually?

I have some unix/linux experience so I am not afraid to use root I understand if for security for regular users.

Thank you very much for help and hope to hear soon from you with your recommendation, I am thinking not to install any grub package anyway since all are experimantal but i will wait for your answer.

Regards,

Mario

#5 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

If you are using eepdater, I believe after choosing you have to hit enter.

#6 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4567 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

Default is keeping the current file. Type nothing, just hit ENTER to go on.

In case you still get errors, use the commands in terminology to correct them like sef mentioned in post #3.

Enjoy,

Charles

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1064 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

i had issues before and hitting enter did not work and that is why i had asked the questions i asked.  since then i have been doing it in terminology.

there was no way to pick a choice in eepdater and enter did nothing in my esxerience.

do what sef  said above:

If those fix your problems, you can then run these commands to completely update your system --

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users