Photo

Touchpad hung on new install (Dell Latitude)

dell legacy touchpad pointer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Frisket

Frisket

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

I just installed Legacy on my old 32-bit Dell Latitude D810 laptop (previously running Xubuntu until 16.04 got too slow for it) because I'm an Enlightenment fan, and this seemed like a good opportunity.

Installation went fine, but on reboot I could not move the pointer using the touchpad. I don't have a mouse here, so this is pretty much a showstopper, as the system is inaccessible. I can log in, as the password box has focus, but thereafter it is not usable.

This machine has had a dozen Linuces over the years, and never a second's problem with the touchpad or pointer (and it's working fine if I boot from the USB stick; just not from the HD installation). Has anyone got a suggestion, or am I going to have to use Point or Mint or something?

Peter

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:05 AM

Back in the day you used to be able to hit "I believe" Shift + NumLock and use the number pad to move the mouse. Alternatively, there is probably some touchpad package that you could install to get the touchpad working.

Check this post and maybe more of the thread http://forums.bodhil...olved/?p=105133

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1061 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

in my cases  - i did have use of the trackpad to begin with - but could not stop the auto double clicking.  because of this, i hesitated to suggest that.  But then again you know so much more than i do - it might work.  Worth a try.

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1061 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

also - before installing - i always tried a slow live cd to see how the trackpad works ad its' related issues as well as getting wireless.  if those work i then install.  ( i also had printer issues with various linux distros and related printers.  the current hp wireless seems to work after a tweak or two.

#5 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Recently, on a new(ish) ACER Cloudbook, I had the same issue and received what turned to be great advice (although scary at the time) from YLEE:

on startup, go into the BIOS and find the pointer settings. If there's a choice, change it.

In my case it was set to "Advanced" and when I changed it to "Basic" all was bliss.

Bob Rashkin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dell, legacy, touchpad, pointer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users