Photo

Error message when trying to reboot or power off after system update

Best Answer Charles@Bodhi, 14 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Hmm, possibly Eepdater did not finish its job. Some packages demand human interaction during updates and Eepdater has a bug when it comes to use the textbox in the GUI where you are supposed to give instructions.

Anyway you need to perform a repair action now before you can continue using the system. In terminal (text after # are comments):

sudo dpkg --configure -a # (completes unconfigured packages, might ask for answers, choose to keep modified files/configs)
sudo apt-get install -f # (to solve issues with missing dependencies)
sudo apt-get update # (refreshing your sources.list)
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade # (just to make sure nothing was skipped by Eepdater)

Let us know the results.

Enjoy,

Charles

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sprinterdriver

Sprinterdriver

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:31 PM

Hi forum.

I cannot ost the exact text of any errormessage because it may kill Midori and I loose all my text. I go short version because it's late and I already wasted a lot of time trying to give most info as possible, just to see it getting lost.

Well - System Updater didn't close when it finnished. So after 2 hours I closed the window.

When I tried to reboot or shut down, I get an error message saying it cannot (Need to post once and then close Midori first to provide full text).

Then I opened System Updater again, and now it tells me that the system is fully updated. That is ok, I closed the System Updater again.

But I still getting the error messages when trying to reboot or shut down. I'll try rebooting using Terminal and see what happens, or if any error messages occurs.

[edit]

I was able to reboot using sudo reboot.

Ok, big issue occur now after reboot:

In menu --> System, most of the choices is now deactivated.

I cannot Hibernate, Suspend, Reboot OR Power off. All those options are grayed out!  :(

What gives?

Umm when I think over, That was the reason why I didn't installed Linux Mint xfce - because from the live-cd those options was all grayed out.

In short: This update went bad  :wacko:

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1060 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

there are issues with system updater it appears.  someone more knowledgeable will chime in i am sure.

use terminal and do:

sudo apt-get update

and then do: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

hit y for yes re: disk space when it asks.

all should be good.

#3 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:30 AM   Best Answer

Hmm, possibly Eepdater did not finish its job. Some packages demand human interaction during updates and Eepdater has a bug when it comes to use the textbox in the GUI where you are supposed to give instructions.

Anyway you need to perform a repair action now before you can continue using the system. In terminal (text after # are comments):

sudo dpkg --configure -a # (completes unconfigured packages, might ask for answers, choose to keep modified files/configs)
sudo apt-get install -f # (to solve issues with missing dependencies)
sudo apt-get update # (refreshing your sources.list)
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade # (just to make sure nothing was skipped by Eepdater)

Let us know the results.

Enjoy,

Charles

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1060 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

charles - since i had the issue re: eepdater/system updater - do you recommend that i do the first 2 steps above that you mentioned on all the laptops?  thanks.

#5 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

charles - since i had the issue re: eepdater/system updater - do you recommend that i do the first 2 steps above that you mentioned on all the laptops?  thanks.

Your systems work, no issues, no need for repair or fixes. 

The OP had an issue after trying to update, so his system needs a fix. These two lines usually solve issues with apt-get, but the OP might even have other issues. Trouble shooting has to start somewhere and this is the most likely cause.

#6 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1060 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

Ok thanks - just wanted to know.

another follow up dumb question.  if i were to have done that - there would not be any issues if i didn't need to do that - correct?  there is no way anything could become screwed up?

i do not believe so logically - but i have to ask.

#7 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Please stop hijacking other members topics. The answer is no.

#8 Sprinterdriver

Sprinterdriver

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Yess - thank you so very much :D

After I did run those four commands, I didn't get the reboot/poweroff options back imediately, but after I rebootet by terminal, everything seems to be normal again.

I'll write this list of commands down in case of later use - Is this the "universal solution" for cases of upgrades going bad ?

#9 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

This is Linux, so there is no universal solution, but in my experience this solves updating issues in most cases. At least in Debian/Ubuntu based distros that use the same packaging.

Glad you got everything back on track.

Enjoy,

Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users