All sorts of newbie questions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:41 AM

Hello all, I just switched to Bodhi Linux tonight after running with a Live usb drive for a spell, and everything seemed ok.  I knew this would be quite a jump from Linux Mint but I was willing to take the plunge.  Right now after a couple of hours, its giving me headaches trying to figure some things out that are probably quite trivial.

1.) How do you get apps to pin to the bar at the bottom?  It was a simple rick click in Mint, but it seems that its not so simple here.

2.) I'm trying to run a command in terminal to update audacious to 3.8.  I followed the instructions here: http://www.webupd8.o...-1111.html#morebut I'm getting an error saying sudo add-apt-repository is not a valid command.  I was able to get this update to work on Mint, so I'm surprised I can't get it to work here.  Not sure what's going on here.

3.) Trying to find something similar to the system monitor that was available in Mint.  There was something similar on the Bodhi Linux download pages but it would always shoot back errors and never run.

4.) I can't get my screen to dim at all.  I've tried the backlight function but nothing happened.  Is this the right thing to adjust the display? I'm hoping this doesn't mean that this thing will blast at full-brightness all the time.

Hoping some system specs will help for #4:

adam@adam-Lenovo-ideapad-110S-11IBR:~$ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: adam-Lenovo-ideapad-110S-11IBR Kernel: 4.10.0-21-generic x86_64
 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Enlightenment 0.2.0.15964 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 80WG v: Lenovo ideapad 110S-11IBR
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Kant v: SDK0J91216 WIN
           Bios: LENOVO v: 4HCN10WW date: 02/22/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N3060 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 6400
           clock speeds: max: 2480 MHz 1: 2479 MHz 2: 2479 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 22b1 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Device 2284 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-21-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 3c:f8:62:09:f5:4c
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (91.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: N/A size: 30.6GB
           ID-2: /dev/mmcblk2 model: N/A size: 63.9GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sda model: Expansion size: 500.1GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 26G used: 3.9G (16%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.99GB used: 0.02GB (1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/mmcblk0p3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 167 Uptime: 1:07 Memory: 957.0/1853.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

Thank you everyone. :)

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:55 AM

@RockinBodi

Welcome here. First of all: Do not lose patience, accept to have to learn (not too much) and you will be rewarded with a fast and efficient system and more knowledge about Linux.

1. Read about the Moksha basics here, it is quick to be done what you would like to do: http://www.bodhilinu...htenment-guide/

Scroll down. 

2. Install Synaptic via Appcenter (use Midori!). Audacious is in the official repo (latest version 3.6 should work fine). I would not install any PPAs. If you can not withstand it, check the spelling to add a PPA. Important: run "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" to get lots of useful codecs. This is almost what Mint does via "Welcome"-screen.

3. Install a system-monitor via using click on Applications>System Tools> Bodhi Appcenter. Why? The installation is somehow fixed to Midori. I have had the same problems at the beginning. 

4. Dim your screen: click on the Menue, Settings> Settings Panel > Screen > Backlight. Or add a Module to your panel:

Settings> Modules> Utilities> Backlight (click on "Load").

You will see, that your Lenovo gets one or even two extra hours of battery life, because Bodhi is so efficient (ram usage, CPU).

Do not forget: run via terminal "sudo ufw enable" to enable your firewall. 

Have fun with Bodhi.

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

Hello RockinBodi

Mr.J's answers are good enough for you. I will just point you more detailed to the article about adding quick launchers to the shelf

http://www.bodhilinu...es-and-shelves/

see the section abour lBar

BTW: There are many ways how to add apps to the lBar. I prefer these two ways:

1. right click on the upper window border. Choose the first item on the menu, then select add to lBar-default

2. the most elegant way is to grab app border icon and place it on the lBar (in case the actual theme has got app icon on the title border)

Stefan

EDIT:

for your record, there are other elegant ways how to run your apps even without apps having on the shelf. My the top one is using quick launcher (called run everything in the past). Just press ALT + ESC or WIN + SPACE and start typing your app name. After some time the mostly launched apps will "bubble" to the top and will be by hand in the launcher popup. 

There is also a way, you can add your apps to the favourite list and show popup list via pressing right mouse button on the desktop. Adding app to the list is similar to the point 1 above. You will find it easily.

Enjoy the speed and beauty of Bodhi Linux :)

#4 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

If you absolutely need to add PPAs, sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

Because Bodhi is built on Ubuntu, you can usually search for your problem and add ubuntu. That suggestion will obviously not help with any issues you might have with moksha/enlightenment.

#5 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1616 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

Just need an explanation. We had the possibility of adding ppas before. But people added harmful or not tested apps and it was impossible solve their issues. Due to the system stability Jeff (our leader) decided to rely only on repo sw.

#6 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

Ok, thanks for the replies.  I was grumpy last night because I had been getting blasted with blue wavelengths at 100% power for about two hours and it made me really sick, and this is even with computer readers. 

1.) has been fixed, just didn't move the icon over far enough to get it to pin

2.) just didn't understand the policy to get the latest and greatest to install; I don't need the latest and greatest audacious, though it does have better opus support since I use opus files

3.) still working on this

4.) added the module that looks like a light bulb; it was disabled before and that's why I couldn't get the screen to dim

Something else while I'm here and discovered this morning.  Its probably just new behavior to get used to coming from Mint and Windows.  Applications when open have up and down arrows instead of the dashes and boxes like Mint and Windows.  I've discovered the up arrow resizes the window, but naturally default to hitting the down arrow to minimize, only I don't know where it goes and I end up starting a new instance of a program (Firefox usually).  Is there a minimize behavior?

Thanks all again for being so helpful. :)

#7 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1616 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

3. I use htop command to see cpu, mem and processes

#8 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

Applications when open have up and down arrows instead of the dashes and boxes like Mint and Windows.  I've discovered the up arrow resizes the window, but naturally default to hitting the down arrow to minimize, only I don't know where it goes and I end up starting a new instance of a program (Firefox usually).  Is there a minimize behavior?

I like to use the module "tasks" in a shelf. (first make sure the module is loaded, then add it to a shelf) When a window is minimized, it will still appear in the tasks module.

Alternatively, you could do an <alt + tab> to cycle through windows on the current desktop.

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#9 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

@waiter - htop is working great :)  Couldn't get exterminator to load, installed yes, but it wouldn't run.

@sef - just another module not enabled, once I turned on tasks I got all the window bars at the bottom again. :)

Getting there piece by piece.

#10 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

A middle mouse click on the desktop will show you running GUI programs.

htop is interesting in that you can open int full screen and interact with it via the mouse to some extent. If you select Sorted by clicking or hitting F5, it will actually organize the processes in a tree format that groups for example all of the google chrome processes together. Parent and children are also delineated.

#11 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

After installing something like exterminator, you can review the installed package details in synaptic. Look for exterminator and it shows more information e.g. installed version. Highlight exterminator so that you can pick the Properties button, which would show you a tab called Installed files, which should include a ...bin/exterminator item. You should be able to run it then; in fact, I suggest you highlight that item to ctrl-C copy and paste it into terminology. (you might not need exterminator after all)

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#12 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

@ birdmun, can't do a middle click as I don't have that kind of mouse.  Good to know, but can't do it.  Htop works so no worries, I'm set on that front. :)

@DOOMguy, I've already uninstalled exterminator and am happy with htop and the information it provides.  Pretty sure I had exterminator set up correctly, just got unknown errors and it couldn't give me any info on why it wouldn't run.

#13 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

Ran into another question....enabled my firewall with "sudo ufw enable" but there's no way to check on it or its settings.  Typing ufw in terminology gets me an error of "not enough args".  Sounds like a funny joke.....not enough frustration! Haha.

I thought a panel would be installed but it doesn't seem so.

#14 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

You can try the program gufw, it is a graphical front-end for ufw. You can install it by

sudo apt-get install gufw

Is that more or less what you're looking for?

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#15 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1060 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

works great and the default seems to be enough for my needs. but what do i know.

#16 auro

auro

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

To check the status of your firewall type:

sudo ufw status verbose

#17 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

@ sef - exactly what I was after! Thanks. :)

While we're all here, something else I noticed, and unfortunately not for the better.  The wifi is randomly disconnecting, and refuses to re-establish a connection unless I turn the computer off and turn it back on and then all is well again. This started happening after I installed two things suggested in this thread here that I hadn't initially installed, but after reading over the thread again, saw them and decided to add them:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

and

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

If I want to remove one or both of these if they're causing instability, I should use:

sudo apt-get --purge remove ubuntu-restricted-extras

Correct?  If I understand that, it should just remove that package and nothing else.

#18 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:32 PM

Two things. When you want to get info on a CLI based program you have two options while you are right there, with respect to ufw you could type ufw --help or maybe ufw /? . I would imagine one of those options will give you some useful info. The other possibility is man ufw.

Second, I am pretty sure the command to purge is

sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-restricted-extras

No -- and no remove. I could be wrong though. :) A simple web search along the lines of "sudo apt-get purge" would tell you for sure.

#19 auro

auro

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

@Rockinbodi

you are right, it should be

sudo apt-get --purge remove "package-name"

#20 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

@Rockinbodi

you are right, it should be

sudo apt-get --purge remove "package-name"

WRONG

There are two possibilities to do this, a short one and a longer one.

sudo apt-get purge <packagename>
# or
sudo apt-get remove --purge <packagename>

purge and remove are known commands within apt-get, --purge is an additional option that can follow the remove command.

man apt-get might be a bit long to read but it is all there when in doubt.

Enjoy,

Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users