• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Just a question. I know Ubuntu makes installing applications easier and gives us more choices, but would Debian be more suitable / stable for a streamlined distribution like Bodhi?

Michel

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12547 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:26 AM

I want my computer to stay out of my way and "just work" in as many ways as possible. Ubuntu is essentially Debian with extras in the repository and a release cycle that keeps relevant end user software updated faster. In my experience it is a fairly decent balance of stable and current software that you then get to cater on each of your own systems via PPAs and personal updates.

Because of these extras and the fact that Ubuntu has the most main stream support from third parties that release their software for Linux it just makes the most sense to use Ubuntu as our base.

Plus there is nothing actively wrong with Ubuntu and I'm not in the business of fixing things that aren't broken. 

#3 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

First I would like to say that every Linux distribution deserves greatest recognition. A lot of smart people invest their skills, energy and leisure time in making a distro better - for free in most cases.

Ubuntu and Debian are working more or less together. A lot of maintainers work for both distributions (repos for example). Ubuntu's intention is to make Debian easier and more user-friendly (the sudo-command by default, update procedures, third party-integration and so on). People who like Debian do not like it that Ubuntu is making decisions for the user, as well as they do not like it that a company (Canonical) is in the background. 

Debian promotes the tried and trusted software. Those who look for the latest and greatest do not like this approach, thinking that the latest and greatest always is also automatically the best (which is not true, considering all the bugs to be fixed with every new release). 

I consider Ubuntu LTS base to be almost perfect. Tried and trusted and current.

#4 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

I for one am glad that debian is not all that is out there for the end user who is not a coding expert, and still likes running gui's. ;)  Ubuntu and all its forks are what makes linux reachable to the masses.  People want stability and ease-of-use, otherwise they wouldn't flock to Windows and MacOS if they just work (most of the time anyway).

#5 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:07 AM

Most do, but then OSX is BSD at the end of the day  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users