25 replies to this topic

#21 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4616 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

I am not logged as root. Where do you see this on screen? 

Post#10

Post#15

I install stuff as $USER with temporary root permissions, using sudo. Feel free to do it your way.

I wonder why the bodhi-moksha.desktop file was deleted, an ordinary user can not do that.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

P.S. What concerns this error, some type of exception handling should be built in Swami for such cases, in order that some dummy shortcut not to break app start.

Ok Swami is a program Jeff has mostly wrote and as he notes:

Swami is a newer tool and we've tested it for a variety of use cases - but obviously whatever state your current system is in right now was not one of them.

It is a work in progress with a limited amount of developers, a limited amount of time to develop, only Bodhi users testing it and most likely only forum users reporting issues. As such it is best to regard it as Beta-software. While it has been tested for typical users cases on Bodhi and it works without error as far as I know in these cases, the issue you stumbled across is not typical. A system file was borked for whatever reason.

As far as "exception handling should be built in Swami for such cases", perhaps but let me quote something I read on stackoverflow regarding exceptions and defensive programming:

You should be defensive but to a point. You should write exception handling but to a point.

The question is where is this point? To test for all possible errors, including hardware malfunctions is overkill for most applications excepting apps where someones life is at stake. Swami is not such an app. For an app such as swami it is more appropriate to test for expected 'normal' errors. To Jeffs defense a system file being broken was not expected and should not have occurred. 

Ok that being said, I have taken note of your error as well as another related issue I noted a few days ago and patched swami locally to catch such cases. As soon as I find time I will run my patch thru some tests to ensure it hasn't broke any functionality, commit it to github and if Jeff approves update Bodhis deb file. This is way open source works. Judgmental whining about "poor coding practices" is hardly ever appropriate and this goes double if a patch is not posted or the complaint is from a non programmer.

Bodhi is what it is a small community an even smaller number of developers and all of us working essentially for free. As an operating system it satisfies my needs altho I modify it some, as a team member I try to fix issues reported or that I discover if I can and when I have time. And I work on the Bodhi projects that interest me or I myself use or those I think are critical or some of the stuff Jeff or another team member suggests I look at. Again when I have time. Probably the same is true for all Bodhi team members.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#23 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

the issue you stumbled across is not typical

I can quote you and ask similar question

The question is where is this point?

Where is the point to what to treat typical and what not?  :)

For me broken symlink is quite typical and such cases occurs A LOT, both on mine and other users' systems. Any advanced user which installs a lot of software will likely face this stuff and many users face this very often.

I am not criticizing the developer, but rather making bugreporting here. Nothing extraordinary, jut routine process.

#24 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

I install stuff as $USER with temporary root permissions, using sudo. Feel free to do it your way.

I don't bother doing this way. I enter su mode, doing smth and then exit this mode.

#25 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:12 AM

For reference "entering su mode" is logging in as root. 

#26 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:21 AM

For me broken symlink is quite typical and such cases occurs A LOT, both on mine and other users' systems. Any advanced user which installs a lot of software will likely face this stuff and many users face this very often.

I am not criticizing the developer, but rather making bugreporting here. Nothing extraordinary, jut routine process.

I don't think I've ever seen a broken symlink like that on any of my systems. The package manager generally cleans them up if you are using it to manage your software as you should be.

I agree with ylee that an exception catch should be added for this, but I think implying it is something that occurs often is a stretch. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: time, enlightenemnt, gui, settings

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users