Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:24 AM

http://www.bodhilinu...pdate-released/

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

And working very well. No problems to report on day #2.

Thank you.

amerigena

#3 wimc

wimc

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

Both computers been updated to 4.3.1 without any issues.

My computer - Dell XPS 8910 (tower), Bodhi Linux 4.3.1-64 (no other OS), Intel Core I7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB ram, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia Gefore GTX 750 Ti with 2 GB, 27" display at 1920x1080 res.

Parents computer - Dell XPS 8700 (tower), Bodhi Linux 4.3.1-64 (no other OS), Intel Core I7-4790 CPU @ 3.6 GHz, 8 GB ram, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia Gefore GT 720 with 4 GB (1GB standard, 3 GB shared), 27" display at 1920x1080 res.

#4 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:57 AM

Am holding one's horses as Debian seems rather fuzzy imho as of late, possibly might or may create a spare partition on a Windows netbook, install Debian 32 bit, then port in either Moksha or Enlightenment. This is rather necessary in my case as the complexity all these years have neither been Moksha nor Bodhi Linux, but because the variety of newer machines are still stuck with that UEFI BIOS setting that makes life cumbersome recycling post-warranty Intel or AMD machines in bulk with Linux. In the past, when the older Windows Vista machines ran out of warranty, I would just go ahead and install Bodhi 2.x.x or 3.x.x on them overridding any factory defaults, but these days with UEFI, it is administratively troublesome if - let's say - one user comes and wants Bodhi Linux replacing Windows 10 on an "outdated" laptop, and after removing all the factory defaults and turning on Legacy settings in specific BIOS then all out of a sudden this user wants to reinstall Windows 10 on it. In the past if all they wanted was to dual boot Bodhi Linux with Windows Vista I could get it done on the same machine with OEM images from vendors, but these days even dual booting - while not impossible - is a tiring chore explaining the nitty gritty details of why UEFI has affected how operating systems boot.  -_-

Son. Student. Citizen.

#5 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 319 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

@Jayan Tashi

Yes, these transitional periods are definitely a headache. But the UEFI (GPT disk partitioning actually) is really a necessary thing. One of the problems is that there is no set standard for UEFI and the motherboard manufacturers kind of make it in a way that suits their needs usually. I understand your headache with administration, especially if you have many PC's to care for.

But Bodhi is fully capable of UEFI install and dual booting with Windows 8/10. Most people have problems with UEFI installs based on the way they create their USB bootable media. If you use "dd if=/path/to/bodhi.iso of=/dev/sdX" (where sdX is the path to your USB drive) to create your bootable USB, then when you boot up to that USB in UEFI mode you will be able to do an UEFI install. But you must be sure to select the "UEFI: usb manufacturer" selection when you boot up the USB stick. Even the boot screen will say either "UEFI Boot Bodhi Linux Live Disc" or "Legacy/BIOS boot the Live System" so that you know which mode you have booted into.

I have just looked at our 'Installation Instructions' page and it still has Unetbootin as the way to create the live USB, but I can confirm that this is not the way to create the bootable media if you want to do an UEFI install. You must use the "dd if=/path/to/bodhi.iso of=/dev/sdX" method I mentioned above. There is also a windows tool called Rufus that does a great job of creating a UEFI & BIOS bootable USB. If you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to post. But I now see that the burden is on us to correct our Installation Instructions page to make it UEFI friendly, unfortunately I hadn't visited that page in quite a while so I was oblivious.

Regards,

sef

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

---------------------------------------------------

"That's not how the force works..."

#6 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for that, Sef.

We bought a bargain price Win8.0 box when they announced Win10, just so as to have the experience of installing Win10. 

I must be a masochist.

After a couple of days of downloads it eventually installed, rebooted, rebooted, rebooted  and we then wrestled with all of the above to dual-boot Bodhi.  <grumble>

@ Jayan Tashi  -  You have our sympathies! :)

Win10 was about as grim as we  feared.  Kept it on there for most of a year so we could watch it struggle to update itself and show it to the gullible who were planning to "upgrade" their Win boxen.  Then we'd show them Bodhi, with a selection of demo user accounts to quickly showcase the configurable nature of Moksha. 

The box has been wiped and as a reward it now has a new SSD with nothing but Bodhi installed. Goes llike a hose!

@ Sef

Thanks for those useful pointers, will be taking a look at "Rufus"

• sef likes this

#7 SmartDuck

SmartDuck

Zenware Developer

• Developer
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWaalwijk, the Netherlands

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

Little busy lately, had the time to upgrade and check. No problems here. Alle apps I use run fine.

Running...

Bodhi 4.3.1 64bit on a Lenovo 110s

Bodhi 4.1.0 Legacy on a Dell Latitude D505
Damn Small 4.4.10 on an old Compaq Armada 1590DT (48MB memory and 3GB harddisk and still usable for administration tasks)
A couple of Raspberry Pi 's,

Arduino' s

and MSX 1 and 2 computers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users