• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 auro

auro

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

Cheers Bodhi team for the new release, I'm now on Bodhi 4.3.1!

...but, I'm still booting the 4.10.0-21-generic kernel. Shouldn't it be on the 4.11 series?

Should I update-grub? Followed by autoremove and autoclean to purge the older kernel?

Thanks!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Location26.13N, 97.63W

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

Updating, as opposed to "installing" from the ISO files, will not replace the kernel. Jeff frequently reminds us that if your system works with your hardware the kernel doesn't need to change. If you want to update the kernel, you can use synaptic or http://forums.bodhil...theme/?p=103018

sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-4.n.0-nn-generic

where you need to know what "n"s you want

Bob Rashkin

#3 auro

auro

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thanks bob!

The 4.10.0-21 is working fine and I got everything under control. So, maybe you're right... don't fix it if it ain't broken!

#4 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

It has been my experience the 4.11 kernel could cause sudo issues in the gui. So much so that, you would need a terminal or a virtual terminal to reboot because the shutdown/reboot options were greyed out in the power menu. Also, google chrome had issues launching for me as well. After a few updates to the kernel things did finally get ironed out.

#5 auro

auro

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thanks!
I'm keeping the 4.10 series.

#6 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

Kernel questions will always cause some discussions. To make it clear: I am not the one who can decide the subject. In my experience "linux-generic-hwe-16.04" installed via Synaptic works fine and gets regular updates (security fixes and some backported stuff here and then). Right now its 4.10.0.33.35.

"Linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge" would have installed the 4.11-series. Quite new hardware might be supported better. 

As Jeff has pointed out there is no desperate need for desktop users to change a working Kernel immediately if something new is offered. Other things enhance security. To all whom it may concern: Things like WebkitGTK+ should be more frequently updated (at least 2.16.6), or libsoup (should be 2.58.2). 

#7 michmanbiker

michmanbiker

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:01 AM

Upgraded to 4.11 Seems to be working fine. Maybe it will resolve the menu-cache issue?

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

Upgraded to 4.11 Seems to be working fine. Maybe it will resolve the menu-cache issue?

Your kernel has nothing to do with a random lxde library being bugged. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users